curious noob

Pain and swelling after a fall.

I went over my handlebars, and my left lower leg got caught between the handlebars and the frame. The frame then fell sideways, crushing my leg like a nut cracker. I was stunned by the pain, and it took me a good 5 seconds to even try to move the bike.

There's no visible bruise (I can't remember the last time I have had one, really. I think I'm immune), but there is obvious swelling on the outside of my lower leg. It is extremely tender, and cannot bear weight.

It feels like a terrible bruise. But the fact I can't walk without an obvious limp and how extraordinarily tender it is concerning.

Anyone have similar experience?
    Science works.

"Beliefs are what divide people. Doubts unite them."-Sir Peter Ustinov

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by drbroccoli
    I went over my handlebars, and my left lower leg got caught between the handlebars and the frame. The frame then fell sideways, crushing my leg like a nut cracker. I was stunned by the pain, and it took me a good 5 seconds to even try to move the bike.

There's no visible bruise (I can't remember the last time I have had one, really. I think I'm immune), but there is obvious swelling on the outside of my lower leg. It is extremely tender, and cannot bear weight.

It feels like a terrible bruise. But the fact I can't walk without an obvious limp and how extraordinarily tender it is concerning.

Anyone have similar experience?
    I'm more concerned that you don't bruise.

How long has it been since you crashed? Have you put on ice on the swelling? Tried Ibuprofen?
    I hate 650b because it's not as fun as 26 inch wheels and because it doesn't have the rollover ability of 29 inch wheels.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Bluth
    I'm more concerned that you don't bruise.

How long has it been since you crashed? Have you put on ice on the swelling? Tried Ibuprofen?
    deep bruises can take a while to show on the surface - this hematoma thing didn't show up untill 2 days after I crashed. I love Aleve (naproxen) for swelling issues and it seems to last longer.

You sure you didn't break it? I'm stuck in a cast for 6 months cuz I ignored a broken scaphoid for wayyyy too long, if it were me I'd get it checked out.

curious noob
    Oooh. Those scaphoid fractures scare me to death. Necrosis...
    I'm pretty sure I didn't break my leg. I pushed on the fibula and tibia. Neither seem injured.

This crash happened yesterday afternoon. I started icing it today. Never occurred to me. Too much of a spartan. Or just stupid. I have not tried ibuprofen as I've heard somewhere it increases vessel leakage/risk of compartment syndrome. I'm just icing it and toughing it out. Never believed in pain killers.

It is a strange thing that I never bruise visibly. I definitely get sore from firm strikes, but even the worst doesn't bruise me. The last bruise I can remember was when I was younger than ten and whacked myself with a steel rod.
    Even my friend, who's pretty good at karate, tried to bruise me and failed. I was poking him with a foam hand for like 10 minutes straight. He grabbed me and repeatedly punched me in the same part of my arm. It got sore, but no visible bruise.

I would get it checked out too simply because of how debilitating it is, but I'm a doctor's son. I was raised in an environment of diagnosis, and really don't think this will cause lasting damage.
    Science works.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by drbroccoli
    but I'm a doctor's son.
    ask him/her

curious noob
    It's already practically better. Just somewhat tender to touch.
    Science works.