mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Pain on side of knee

Wanted to see if anybody knew what this might be or has had it creep up on them. I'm starting to ride again after a previous injury and the side outside of my knee is starting to get tight. I'm wondering if it is tendonitis. It is not due to my previous injury. I did have to replace my frame and post so I may not have it dialed in just right yet. Could it be the fore or aft position of my saddle? Any thoughts would be great. Thanks.

Andy

banned
    Any swelling?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    No swelling that is noticable. Pain when I extend my leg. Every pedal stroke.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by grandedirt
    No swelling that is noticable. Pain when I extend my leg. Every pedal stroke.
    Sounds like a classic ITB problem to me. I've had it too. Your ITB runs roughly from your pelvis down to your knee cap and when it gets tight it pulls the knee cap round and causes the pain.

If you start out ok and then it gradually builds on a ride, this is the first place I'd look for treatment. Took me about 6 months to find the cause for me.

Massage to release the ITB helps, plus you'll have to stretch regularly with some specific exercises. Look up ITB on the web for the stretches. Short terms some anti inflamatory drugs and an ice pack will help, but only after the ride.

Good luck,if you catch it early enough you may stop it becoming a real issue, which it can be.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Sorry, should add depending on the frame, set up will be crucial as well. Length of seat to peddle and placement of knee over pedal are two critical things to get right.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by HeezaGeeza
    Sounds like a classic ITB problem to me. I've had it too. Your ITB runs roughly from your pelvis down to your knee cap and when it gets tight it pulls the knee cap round and causes the pain.

If you start out ok and then it gradually builds on a ride, this is the first place I'd look for treatment. Took me about 6 months to find the cause for me.

Massage to release the ITB helps, plus you'll have to stretch regularly with some specific exercises. Look up ITB on the web for the stretches. Short terms some anti inflamatory drugs and an ice pack will help, but only after the ride.

Good luck,if you catch it early enough you may stop it becoming a real issue, which it can be.

I agree. Went through the same thing running while in the military, and some on the bike after I got out. The proper stretches will eliminate the problem after awhile. Even happened to a buddy of mine. He was dubious, but after a few weeks of stretching he no longer had a problem.

Too busy looking good
    Here's a third vote for IT band problems, what you describe sounds exactly like it.

An alternative to massage is a foam roller - any local sports medicine or sports massage place would probably have one, or you can get one online. You put it on the floor, lay on top of it sideways with the roller under your leg. Support yourself with your hands but keep as much weight on the roller as possible, and roll up and down the leg, between the knee and the hip. Best to do it with no pants so you get the most pressure possible on the outside of the leg, where the IT band is - my family is used to seeing me rolling around on the floor in my boxers.

It will hurt initially, but it will almost certainly do the trick - a foam roller combined with stretching helped me kick the problem. IT band issues had me literally crippled in March/April of 2006, but with work I kicked the problem and was racing in July of 2006, and have had had zero problems since then. I continue the stretches and the roller a few times a week to avoid any regression.

Also make sure you're not riding pigeon toed - it can help to rotate your cleats such that your feet are turned out a bit and the toes point away from the bike slightly - this allows more clearance between your IT band and the knee as the knee bends. Also get saddle position dialed in, both height and position fore/aft is important.

Search this forum for "IT band" and you'll find lots of similar advice.