mtbr member

pain on inside of right shoulder blade area

i have been experiencing this pain for a while (close to 1 year). at the beginning it was mild pain at the end of longer rides, both on my mtb and road bike, which i was thinking was just fatigued muscles or something. it started to get progressively more annoying, and starting earlier into the ride, sometimes even after 30 minutes. now i have done some research and most cases are associated with wrong bike fit. i do not think this is my case though, as i have had both my bikes for over 3 years, basically no changes/upgrades to the bikes. could there be something else going on? i am getting worried as for last week or so i am even experiencing it just walking.
    thanks
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    It is quite possible that you have torn your rotator cuff. The shoulder joint has the greatest range of motion out of all other joints in our body, which is why it is the joint most prone to injury. When playing sports or activities that heavily involve the use of your arms and shoulders, it puts a lot of strain on the shallow joint.

The best thing to be doing is putting cold compresses on it to reduce the inflammation and swelling. This will also help relieve related pain. In order to heal any kind of soft tissue damage, such as a rotator cuff tear, you need blood flow. There is a Blood Flow Stimulation Therapy (BFST) that I highly recommend. It is an energy web within a shoulder wrap that promotes the circulation you need, deep down below the dermal level, in order to heal. I have included some information on rotator cuff tears.
    Rotator Cuff Treatment by King Brand

mtbr member
    thanks maizie, i will look into this. if this is the case, am i supposed to stop riding and putting it under more stress?
    HuRa
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Especially for a shoulder injury, I would suggest taking it easy. As i mentioned, the shoulder joint is the most prone to reinjury. A good idea is to put any kind of strap on it to help with immobility and also as a reminder to yourself to take it easy with it. If you have been active with it lately, definitly put a cold compress on it. The healing process will be prolonged if you have continual inflammation from constant straining.

mtbr member
    ok looks like where rotator cuff is located and it might not be it. the pain i am having is located to the inside of shoulder blade all the way almost to the spine. just a tad to the right of spine and left of upper shoulder blade tip.
    HuRa
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Sounds like it may be a local thoracic facet or possible costovertebral (post rib) joint. That same area is also the most common area of pain referral from the mid to lower cervical spine.

You may want to see a good manual Physical Therapist and have them check you out.
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    ok, so my pain seems to be occurring less often lately, maybe 2 episodes of 10 seconds a day. even rode over the weekend end it seems to be just short episodes when riding the bike too. i could feel it at the end of the ride but it went away shortly after. gonna give it some time to see what happens. maybe a perisistent knot in the area?
    HuRa
    website facebook