Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Pain In Hand When Riding Rough Singletrack

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  pakdoc 
#1 ·
Hello, first post on your forum. Been browsing for a couple of weeks.

Right, me and my mate both suffer the same problem with our hands.

What it is, when riding very rough, fast downhill singletrack we both suffer with a numb like feeling in our little finger and the one next to it. The pain/numbness doesn't occur in any other types of riding only what i have mentioned above.

My bike has specialized Body Geo grips and i also wear their gloves which are suppose to relief pressure on ulnar nerve.

If anyone has any ideas, what could be causing this would be good to hear.

#3 ·
had the problem a while ago (apx. 3 years)ago
I asked an older rider what to do with the constant finger spasms and wrist pain after riding he gave me the formulae that he usually used that consisted of : good gloves, grips, shorter brake paterns, and softening your forx to get an more softer feeling when doing short jumps, going over rougher terrain...ect.
also try shifting weigt to ease preasure on the hands
of course it is important to know when your body needs to take a brake!!?

OH and I`d like to mention one little thing that somethimes eases the pain, that is doing some heating up before you hit the track ( gets the body juices runi´n) :thumbsup:

#4 ·
I also had the hand issues and It wasn't until I switched to Ergon grips that the problem vanished. I actually put them on all my rides and couldn't be happier! I even run them on my ridged MTB and I have no issues! They don't look the greatest but they do work. It's quite funny as when I showed up with them at our weekly club ride, folks teased me a little. Now I bet 50% of the club riders have them on their bike:)Since I have small hands I opted for the lady version...Here is the link with more info. Hope this helps and your back to enjoying the ride!

http://www.ergon-bike.com/us/grips/gp1.html

P.S.-
If you ride bar ends they have them in that version also.

#7 ·
ergons made my hands worse - its not my fingers, but the outside edge of my palm on, mainly on my right hand.

It will do it on a 2 mile ride on my HT with the ergons
On my FS with the stock grips, I can go about 10 miles before they ache

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.