mtbr member

Outside foot pain, cause?

Just picked up Shimano m088s, upgrade from my lace ups. After about 20-30 min just on the spin bike, I get tingling and mild pain along the outsides of my feet. I've noticed that I pedal on that side and not so much the balls of my feet. Move onto new shoes, some kind of insole, move the cleats? Or is it something I should just live with?

Haven't had a chance to hit the trail with these shoes yet, have to wait until next.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Curious if you have this issue only with new shoes? I have wide feet and anything that puts pressure from outside causes pain. I had to use custom ski boots and as loosely tied/bucked cycling shoes. Custom fit foot beds helps a bit but not completely eliminate the issue.
    Solution for me while biking is to keep more pressure on the inside of the feet.
    I used to run tubes like you are, but then I got thorn in my wheel.

mtbr member
    I do have wide feet, so a wider toe box could make the difference. These are my first pair of velcro/buckle shoes, so I'm learning. I don't know how they should fit.

mtbr member
    Anyone else?

mtbr member
    I just bought xc30 and have a similar issue as I have wide feet. The shoe fit better than others I'd tried and has a large toe box. However, I find that when I really crank down I get pressure on not only the outside but on both sides of the sole. My feet actually are wide enough to be over the edge of the sole on both sides. I am currently looking into the m088 as I have heard tales of a wider last version. So far though, I don't know if I can get it or not. I would guess it's the narrow footbed/sole as it slightly crurves up into my feet. It's a good design to cradle your foot, if your foot is narrow enough. I think this may be a typical a clyde problem.
    No fuss with the MUSS

AZ
    banned
    I switched to Specialized shoes after suffering the same symptoms. The wider last that they are built on made a huge difference in comfort and ability to stay on the bike for extended lengths of time. Sidi also comes in Mega widths.

mtbr member
    I headed out shopping tomorrow, see if I can't find anything wider.