mtbr member
    Apr 2005

old ankle fracture/pain/how to reduce range of motion while biking?

a friend of mine has an old ankle fracture which developed arthritis. she likes to bike(she has trouble walking) but the ankle motion is painful. anyone have any experience with a brace that would limit motion flexion/extension but allow biking? or any other ideas? thanks

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    I'm not sure what direction you want to 'limit' the ankle. I use this to minimise the chances of re-spraining when coming off the bike. Helps guard against lateral foot rolls.

http://www.ankleshop.com/proddetail....26401X&cat=203

If you're talking about limiting the standard 'up and down' ankle movement during a normal pedal stroke, sounds to me that would cause problems with other joints.

komojo dragon
    Mar 2007
    Taping might be a good way to go - athletic taping that is. You'd need to find an athletic trainer - at a local junior college or a good physical therapist to teach you the right way to do it - there is a recipe for success on this.

It's the typical type of taping basketball, volleyball players get and it helps to support weakness, and it limits motion, and one of these people could help you to tailor the taping further for your friendls problem/ pain inducing movements.