Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

OK, '08 is over for me....

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  emtnate 
#1 ·
Just had surgery two days ago to rebuild my shattered collarbone (6 pieces, according to the surgeon). Stainless plate and 8 screws, 6 weeks off the bike...which puts me into snow season, not the time to be rehabbing my riding. So it's done for the year. My bud came by today to see how I was doing, and I had him lift thr bike into the rafters for winter storage.

I have to make some adjustments to the spec of the bike to bring the front up; can't be doing this anymore -- it was an endo, avoiding a truck collision, that did this -- so I'll be going a little bit 'cruiser' with the mtb.

I'm looking at an Electra (Rat Fink or Straight 8) for a daily duffer, and new fork/stem/bar for more front height on the xlt. Got some ideas already....

So, does this suck, or does it suuuuuuuuuuck?

#4 ·
Then Again, Maybe Not!!

The ortho surgeon just cleared me today to go back to work, and to get on the bike!!! I'm getting my life back, HHOOOOOO-YYAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weather isn't too bad, and I've already had a shorter ride last week. I'm f'n going for it!!

#5 ·
Get lots of sleep(healing is mostly done while resting). Take Calcium and vitamin D, to make the bones stronger, when healed. Don't stay in the sling all day. After week four- take it off and try moving the arm around a few mins a day. Be aware cold and moisture will send aches in the bones(metal content). Never use ice for pain. The last thing you ever want is arthritis, in old age. Heal well- everything happens for a reason!

#6 ·
Zach, not tryin to holler at you, but there was almost 6 weeks between my pages. The sling lasted about 3 days! Sleep? What's that? Doing nothing at home isn't exactly conducive to restful sleep @ night.

NEVER put ice on an injury after the 1st 24 hours, that's the rule! Heat from then on as needed! Already have arthur in the shoulder, just getting a bit worse from disuse of the arm.

The lack of use of the arm (stretched and used lightly as tolerated the whole time) caused some knotted muscles in the shoulder and neck today during work, but eased up now.

Already take a potent multi -- no income prevents too much expenditure on supplements.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.