Thread: Numb toes?

mtbr member

Numb toes?

Not sure if this qualifies as an injury (yet), but this seemed like the most appropriate section.

During the last couple of weeks, I've started to get numbness in the toes on my left foot. I first noticed this on a long road ride (different bike and setup), but now notice it on my MTB.

No change to shoes, saddle or setup on either bike. Also, as mentioned, the positioning is naturally different between the two bikes as well.

It isn't painful, but didn't want to ignore it.

Anyone else felt this? Ideas?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    Not sure if this qualifies as an injury (yet), but this seemed like the most appropriate section.

During the last couple of weeks, I've started to get numbness in the toes on my left foot. I first noticed this on a long road ride (different bike and setup), but now notice it on my MTB.

No change to shoes, saddle or setup on either bike. Also, as mentioned, the positioning is naturally different between the two bikes as well.

It isn't painful, but didn't want to ignore it.

Anyone else felt this? Ideas?
    Typically, if your shoes aren't too tight, the resulting numbness in your foot is being caused from pressure on your sacitic nerve. This happened too me at the start of the season when I did too much too fast. If this was your first long road ride in the saddle your tissues in your groin area probably aren't built up enough yet. Maybe try easing into longer rides on the road?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I had a bit of this on a recent ride. I bought some new shoes, since mine were getting a bit old and the sole seems to be getting a little "flexier". Haven't wore them yet to see if it helps...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input here.

I've been riding MTB a ton, but haven't used the road bike as much. Since I noticed the problem on the road first, could be the "tissue build up" you mention. Then, if irritated, it might show during MTB sessions later.

I'll monitor this to see where it goes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    My feet used to fall asleep and I got the wider platform XTR pedals and my feet don't fall asleep anymore.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Could it be your shoe too tight? Are you useing clipless pedals? I know I have noticed this starting when I made the transition. My shoes arent too tight, so Maybe its too much room and the foot is moving up and down too much during each turn.