Thread: Numb hands

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Numb hands

When I ride alot, the vibration numbs my hands. Is there any padding I can put on my grips to help this?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Do you wear gloves? I used to go without and my hands were always numb after a ride but then I got myself some bike gloves and it was a world of difference.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    If it's vibration that is causing the problem, then the fix is can be an adjustment to front suspension and body position on the bike.
    If you are riding a bike with a suspension fork, make sure that it is set up correctly. Too much pressure? Too much compression damping? Too much rebound?
    Does your position on the bike drive your weight on to the handlebars?
    Is your seat level?
    Are your bars much below your seat height?
    All the above can factor in to why your hands are going numb.
    Padded gloves and grips can help, but it is best to make sure that the bike and suspension is set up correctly and comfortably first.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Steezus has a good point, check your suspension and fine tune it if you can. That should help and will improve your riding overall.

mtbr member
    It could be any number of things but most likely bike set up i.e. positioning puts a lot of weight on your hands. Try messing with bar height in relation to saddle. Also consider different length stem and sweep/rise on your bars. Another thing to consider, when you're out riding next time do you excessivley grip your bars? Try focusing on relaxing your hands/grip. Something many of my buddies swear by are the Ergon grips. They've eliminated virtually all hand symptoms.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Are you a noob? I noticed you recently joined the forum. When I was a noob I had a death grip on my bars, and would have the numb hand problem. Loosen your grip a little.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Could be any number of the things mentioned. You should consider:
    -Setup adjustment if too much weight is on the hands
    -Lightening up on your grip (which is easier to do if not too much weight on the hands)
    -Definitely get a pair of biking gloves regardless - you'll be glad you did!

You have three points of contact with your bike hands, feet and butt. Your weight should be fairly evenly distributed among these three points. For mountain biking, the bars are typically a little lower than the saddle, so you do end up putting a little more weight there. This is to put you in a more aggressive stance with your head down and chest toward the stem. Riders also tend to shift weight around (sliding forward or aft on the saddle, standing, sitting, etc.) so the pressure is not constant for trail riding.

On a road bike, its a more even distribution and bars and saddle are typically at the same height. When you ride your mountain bike like a road bike, you may experience more hand pressure as a result. Mountain bikes are not usually setup to go long distances on pavement as a result, though its not going to kill you either (and there are exceptions, especially depending on the bar style used)

You will find if you do not have too much weight on the bars that your control will improve as well. Helps with things like the front wheel washing out in corners, moving through sandy sections and more. When I am in a tight twisty section, for example, my head is down, I slide back on the saddle and my hands are light on the bar.

Also, some grips are more ergonomic than others. A friend recently bought a Scott Scale 29 and those grips are paper thin. You might consider that as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks all! I will check the riding position. I do tend to put alot of weight on my hands. Also, I will buy some padded grips too. Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Getting the proper riding position is critical. You don't want to end up with numb nuts too!
    The Truth will set you free.