Thread: Numb Hand

mtbr member

Numb Hand

This is new to me. After riding for 20 yrs I am starting to get numbness in my right hand after a half hour or so on the bike. I recently switched to a full susp bike with a 1.5" riser bar from a XC bike with a flat bar. I have tried almost every type of bar end or bar type over the years but have never experienced the numbness. I am wearing a Specialized BG Glove with the Ulnar nerve padding. Any thoughts on this.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac1911
    This is new to me. After riding for 20 yrs I am starting to get numbness in my right hand after a half hour or so on the bike. I recently switched to a full susp bike with a 1.5" riser bar from a XC bike with a flat bar. I have tried almost every type of bar end or bar type over the years but have never experienced the numbness. I am wearing a Specialized BG Glove with the Ulnar nerve padding. Any thoughts on this.
    The whole hand - or parts? I get numbness in my pinky and ring fingers on the left hand...

mtbr member
    The whole hand if I keep riding. I have to stop for a bit to let the blood get back down there.

another bozo on the bus
    First guess would be poor fit. Try making some minor adjustments in HB position and/or seat position on the rails.

mtbr member
    I'm guessing it's HB position. I occasionally get a numbness too and I was told by a Doc it could be carple tunnel. But I catch myself gripping pretty hard (without realizing it) so make sure you loose on the bars.

I'm a dog person
    Did you change grips as well as the bar? I've found grips to be the culprit w/ me and numb hands.
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings."

mtbr member
    I searched the net on this and spoke to a roadie buddy. Found out that it is a pinched nerve in the hand from gripping on too tight. I road this AM for and hour and a half and made an effort to relaxe on the bars, no numbness. I am using Lizard Skins lock on grips, they are not the softest but they are real secure. I may rotate the bars back a degree or two to see it it feels any better as well. Thanks all for the input.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Have you thought of trying ERGON grips? http://www.ergon-bike.com/en/ergonomics/all.html

BIKE ERGONOMICS
    Our grips could help you out....but you also have to look at the items mentioned above: seat height in relationship to handlebar height. Bike fit is always key.

Jeff
    Ergon USA

bi-winning
    Yup, ERGON grips are the real deal. The larger surface area spreads out pressure on you hands. They have helped many people with numbness issues. Personally, i never had numb hands, but i got the grips, and they definitely are comfortable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Give Ergon grips a try. Oh, I said that already!!!! HAHA! Great product Jeff- Keep up the good work.