mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Nothing too serious but a wakeup call

So, riding in a very familiar trail when I realize...damn it's windy today. I ride up the hill and daaamn...really windy I'm guessing 30 mph. I take a few minutes to appreciate the view (and gather my breath from climbing up) and then finally get on my bike and ride down the very first steep descent and uh oh... the wind pushed me too far left, gotta correct! I simply froze and held my bars straight and ate it hard...that has not happened in such a long long time. This was a good wakeup call that even though I have few years of MTB'ing under my belt, noob mistakes happen to us all. Be careful out there and never underestimate familiar trails.
    My left ankle took the grunt of the impact. I was on the ground looking up in so much pain I though I sprained it or broke it, I didn't even wanna look lol I could barely move it. one of the first thoughts was crap...I have work on Monday, what am I gonna do if I broke it. My left shoulder, arms, and elbow are banged up my helmet got dinged up and my thigh bruised along with my ego lol The idiot in me tried to bike around but I just couldn't once adrenaline wore off. Gonna be off the saddle for at least a week or so until this swelling and stiffness goes away. Gotta love MTB'ing though!

mtbr member
    Similar thing happened to me the other day, but luckily no wreck. Was going flat out down a mild slope when I got nudged off (by the wind) the narrow path. Locked my arms rather than steering back into it. Luckily there were no trees or other obstacles so I just corrected (eventually) and got back on the path. Only damage was about 10 Cholla spines in my right leg.

Hope you heal up soon.

mtbr member
    Most of my crashes are from stupid mistakes and just not paying attention. Most of my crashes are from front tire wash-outs on very loose dirt on top of hard pan. It is like marbles on a floor. Last crash I was trying to adjust my fork while riding and making a turn. Washed out the front and twisted my knee that was already giving me grief. Made my knee worse and been rehabbing since. Also, have a rotator cuff injury that still plagues me from another wash-out. Landed on my shoulder and shoulder slips out a little bit. Every since that, I have had pain in the shoulder.

It is weird because I have had two of the worst injuries riding ever and both within two months. Never had injuries before that kept me sidelined. Sucks not riding.