mtbr member
    Jul 2008

No mountain biking until after OHS? Cut me open doc.

Just as I've been making time to re-enter the biking world I was recently instructed not to mountain bike until after I have my aortic aneurysm replaced. In addition to the obvious reasons for getting it fixed, this prompted me to schedule my open heart surgery. Being a 35 year old non smoker who genetic doctors determined has no predisposition to aortic disease I'll admit I'm anxious about the problem and the fix. Maybe I can trade a bike company for the rights to film a commercial, maybe an X Games stunt where a rider jumps over me right as they divert my blood to the heart-lung machine. Or a tire company in exchange for me having a front view of an MTB tire tattooed over my chest scar. Or I can devise a program to use recycled bike tires for aortic grafts instead of Dacron. The bizarre possibilities are endless! What I would love is to film a spoof of the Airplane scene where the treating doctors have STP sponsor logos on their lab coats.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Sorry to hear about your condition...definitely want to be careful with that condition and I will pray that you get healed up quick. OHS is risky but less risky that walking around with a ticking time bomb in your chest.

I pray God heals you up quickly.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Well I'm currently in the ICU recovering from my aneurysm repair. My surgeon says that after my sternum heals in 12 weeks I won't have any restrictions. Thank God I found out about this aneurysm by sheer luck. Until I can resume riding I'll enjoy reading about everyone else's trips.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I am glad your surgery went well and continue to pray for your speedy recovery. Glad they found it before you got into a pickle... 12 weeks will go by quick and before you know it, you and dirt will be enjoying some sweet reunion.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Whoa, that sounds serious. Sounds like the surgery was a success. Hope you have fast recovery.

mtbr member
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."