mtbr member

No more dirt bikes

Posting here because its the only thread I can post in right now. Grew up on dirt bikes and got really into it in the last yeAr. To make a Long story short I woke up on the side of the track a month agowith a handfull of guys standing around me asking ?'s. cased a triple and ended up breaking my right scapula and collar bone, and right wrist and a.c. Separation on left shoulder, and broken right cheek bone and couple broken rear teeth. I have great insurance so that's not a problem. Time to sell the dirt bike and get a mountain bike just not sure what to get. Not in a hurry just got out of surgery 2 weeks ago for the wrist and collar bone. Trying to learn as much as I can before I go out and spend a bunch on a bike. So what's a better bike a stump jumper pro or expert?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Were do you live and what type of trails?

I loved motor cycles too, until I flew over the hood of a Camero.

mtbr member
    Northern California, lots of mountain bike trails around here I live in the foothills at the base of the sierras, a little over an hour from North Star so I'd like to go check that out eventually. Don't think Ill get into the full blow down hill but it would be nice to get a bike that can handle some mild- medium downhill action. Still am gonna need a bike that can handle climbing up and down the hills tho. Any suggetions on what kind of bikes to
    Look for. I look everyday on Craigslist but am still researching what i need and what to look for. Price range under $800. Hopefully I can find something deacent that I can just upgrade parts as I go

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I would look for an older, lightly used, 4-5" travel FS in that price range.
    Look on Pinkbike too.

Ride Responsibly
    Read through this "Rider Down" forum and you will see the same injuries happen without the aid of a motor. That said, Santa Cruz makes good bikes. Pro or Expert will be higher grade of components, most important on a used bike is Fit, followed by the condition of the frame, fork and shock.
    Last edited by LWright; 07-11-2013 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Fit

mtbr member
    So, about 18 months ago I started selling our dirt bikes, the wife had a few close calls and was concerned that junior was in way over his head. No problem for me as I pulled out the old Lefty and hit the MTB trail again. Well, seems my tolerance for speed was way up and no KTM suspension/brakes/tires to reel it back in... in the last 9 months I've incurred an AC separation(left,grade5) and collarbone fracture(right, 9 screws and steel plate).

I hate giving advice, but.... start slow(ish)

Quote Originally Posted by LWright View Post
    Read through this "Rider Down" forum and you will see the same injuries happen without the aid of a motor. That said, Santa Cruz makes good bikes. Pro or Expert will be higher grade of components, most important on a used bike is Fit, followed by the condition of the frame, fork and shock.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Long time dirt biker here. Used to race MX when I was young (as in 12-20). I clearly remember the day and track where I realized I wasn't an indestructible kid anymore. I eventually switched to hare scrambles (where you have to be fast AND smart not just fast) and raced for many many more years. Now I just trail ride and love it. You just reach a point where you have to be honest with yourself about the risk.