Trying a little

the news media likes handlebars

imagine if they ran this big a story every time a mountain biker messed themselves up...

I do like the bike tho. Here's the link

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/...43/detail.html

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

impaled by handlebar

Yikes.....I be that kid did not have grips on the bar........last night during my group ride I noticed that the end of my left handlebar was beginning to stick out of my old grips......time to go to a bike shop for some new ones.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Actually the kids bike was the black Mongoose - not the silver bike the girl is demonstrating with. I didn't see any pics of the Mongoose H-bar anywhere - did I miss it? I assumed they removed it to transport it with the kid. 10:1 odds he wasn't wearing a helmet. Although, I never did growing up either, I don't know where you would have bought a child's bike helmet back in the late 70's early 80's.

Regardless - most Joe-six-pack dads couldn't work on their kid's bike if they wanted to. Most don't know what to look for in a simple safety check if they wanted to inspect junior's ride. I used to be a shop wrench in a small town, and I got plenty of adult cyclists that brought their bikes to me for repairs and adjustments. Many times they told me that they would have no clue how to do what I was doing (Tough stuff like adjusting a seat or raising a stem.) But they knew they couldn't work on their bike, and took it to someone who could. Those same parents would bring me their kid's bikes for the yearly overhaul/safety inspection. They understood the value of having a properly adjusted machine.

I grew up lucky - my dad was the type of guy that could tear an engine down and rebuild it on his own. He passed that mechanical skill to me as I was growing up. Back then you didn't buy a pre-assembled bike from the Wal-Mart or wherever - you pointed to the display and they brought you a bike in a box and rang it up. (If I were uying my future kid a storebought bike - I'd probably ask for an unassembled one anyway). My dad could assemble a bike, and understand the instructions - plus use some common sense where needed. Other kids in my neighborhood weren't so lucky - I often saw stems reversed, loose bottombrackets, eternally loose headsets, handlebars that never stayed tight, Caliper brakes that didn't even clamp down on the rim. Usually the kids would come over to my house and ask my dad to fix the problem.

I'm sure the odds are that this kid just wrecked when he wasn't paying attention like the story said. What I hope doesn't happen is some slick personal claims lawyer get ahold of the dad, and sue the dept store that sold the bike, or the manufacturer (Pacific?) and get this family a huge settlement just cause the kid fell off his bike and got hurt. I also wonder - when they get back home, does the kid swear off bikes forever, or do they bolt the H-bar back on and let him go - if so, I wonder if dad will bother getting new brake cables put on the bike from where the EMT's cut through them.