Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New thread, new trail, new injury...

3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  fairyweatherider 
#1 ·
Long story short, rode up, rode down. Took pictures, crashed, landed on feet, sprained my ankle.

Excellent trail with lots of techy stuff. The pictures aren't of the technical stuff since it's hard to really "picture" it without someone in the pic (I was riding solo).

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
More photos...

I'm pretty disappointed with my crash and feel like my skills have taken a dive. Not sure why, but I feel sketchy on stuff that would normally be such and issue. I'll spare you all the pessimistic essay that would develope if I continued.

Attachments

#3 ·
screampint said:
I'm pretty disappointed with my crash and feel like my skills have taken a dive. Not sure why, but I feel sketchy on stuff that would normally be such and issue. I'll spare you all the pessimistic essay that would develope if I continued.
as one of my riding pals ( and mary chapin carpenter) says: somedays you're the windshield, some days you are the bug.

I ride solo a lot, and always take it back a few notches, and sometime take pics... looks like a great day to me.

formica

#4 ·
Stress? Hormones? Other changes?

screampint said:
Not sure why, but I feel sketchy on stuff that would normally be such and issue. I'll spare you all the pessimistic essay that would develope if I continued.
I know we've discussed this before on the board, but hormonal changes can throw off your riding. I'm way squirrely when I am PMSing. I have also noted that when I am stressed in my day to day life, I can get really mental on the bike. Sux, just when I need to decompress, I am tensing up and wrecking. :(

#5 ·
screampint said:
Well, its hard to ride and take pictures at the same time. Maybe you should take up hiking. :)

#9 ·
v. cool pics..yes, what is that trail?

I'm pretty disappointed with my crash and feel like my skills have taken a dive. Not sure why, but I feel sketchy on stuff that would normally be such and issue.
i'm in the same "rut" so to speak...or at least the ruts have been throwing me off my bike lately. it is frustrating, and i've considered dumping the mtb to be a roadie. well, maybe not. :p

#10 ·
A few things. I thought about it last night and there are a few things. I am in the middle of my period, I hadn't been getting enough sleep, I was concentrating on taking pictures and never got into the flow, and one of my shoulders has been giving me trouble. All adds up to silly mistakes and bad consequences. Oh well, I heal fast and can still ride with the injury (thanks to clipless pedals and an ankle brace).

#14 ·
Too bad!

I used to sprain my ankles often while playing volleyball. They are permanently fat from scar tissue, not that I care. Never did apply to be an ankle model...I always wear braces when I play vb now. Anyway, you know they take a long time to heal, so be gentle when riding!

screampint said:
The pictures aren't of the technical stuff since it's hard to really "picture" it without someone in the pic (I was riding solo).
LOL! The non-techy stuff I wouldn't do solo, no way! I can just imagine how challenging the techy stuff is. :) Don't sweat your little slump, I'm sure it's temporary, and you've already identified several reasons you'd be off your game.

Thanks for the pics.

Spike

#16 ·
Problem with me is that I may not feel out of sorts until I'm already on a challenging trail. Although in this case I was anxious to ride a trail that had been shut down for years and was re-opened last weekend after hours of trailwork. I'm not very patient...

Anyway, if it makes you feel better, I ride with a cell phone. Not all of the areas in which I ride have cell service, but this particular trail is riding distance from downtown GJ.

#17 ·
screampint said:
All adds up to silly mistakes and bad consequences. Oh well, I heal fast and can still ride with the injury (thanks to clipless pedals and an ankle brace).
Promise to be careful with that. My husband was riding with a sprained ankle in a brace and clipless pedals. Granted, he was riding DH at Durango and it's gnarly, but he wrecked, couldn't get out of the pedal and now has a torn MCL and tibial plateau fracture. I'm not telling you not to do it for XC riding, but just remember that if you brace your ankle you're putting that stress onto your knee instead when you need to clip out.

Don't get discouraged though. We all have bad days! Take care of yourself and heal up quick!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.