Des(s)ert Rat

New thread, new trail, new injury...

Long story short, rode up, rode down. Took pictures, crashed, landed on feet, sprained my ankle.

Excellent trail with lots of techy stuff. The pictures aren't of the technical stuff since it's hard to really "picture" it without someone in the pic (I was riding solo).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Des(s)ert Rat

More photos...

I'm pretty disappointed with my crash and feel like my skills have taken a dive. Not sure why, but I feel sketchy on stuff that would normally be such and issue. I'll spare you all the pessimistic essay that would develope if I continued.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    I'm pretty disappointed with my crash and feel like my skills have taken a dive. Not sure why, but I feel sketchy on stuff that would normally be such and issue. I'll spare you all the pessimistic essay that would develope if I continued.

as one of my riding pals ( and mary chapin carpenter) says: somedays you're the windshield, some days you are the bug.

I ride solo a lot, and always take it back a few notches, and sometime take pics... looks like a great day to me.

formica

mtbr member

Stress? Hormones? Other changes?

Not sure why, but I feel sketchy on stuff that would normally be such and issue. I'll spare you all the pessimistic essay that would develope if I continued.
    I know we've discussed this before on the board, but hormonal changes can throw off your riding. I'm way squirrely when I am PMSing. I have also noted that when I am stressed in my day to day life, I can get really mental on the bike. Sux, just when I need to decompress, I am tensing up and wrecking.
    If you are only as old as you feel, I'm 101

user-created
    Well, its hard to ride and take pictures at the same time. Maybe you should take up hiking.

Now more evil for 2005!
    Aug 2004

Well screampint...

That looks like some beautiful ground. I really have to come down and check that place out someday. I would love to take my bike for a walk along those trails!
    If you're ever in Calgary, here are the bike shops I like:
    Single Track Cycle
    The Bike Shop
    Calgary Cycle

pewpewpew Moderator
    Beautiful pictures screampint

mtbr member
    yes, GREAT pics. What trail?

I can hardly wait to get there. only 20 days away.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    v. cool pics..yes, what is that trail?

I'm pretty disappointed with my crash and feel like my skills have taken a dive. Not sure why, but I feel sketchy on stuff that would normally be such and issue.
    i'm in the same "rut" so to speak...or at least the ruts have been throwing me off my bike lately. it is frustrating, and i've considered dumping the mtb to be a roadie. well, maybe not.

Des(s)ert Rat
    A few things. I thought about it last night and there are a few things. I am in the middle of my period, I hadn't been getting enough sleep, I was concentrating on taking pictures and never got into the flow, and one of my shoulders has been giving me trouble. All adds up to silly mistakes and bad consequences. Oh well, I heal fast and can still ride with the injury (thanks to clipless pedals and an ankle brace).

Des(s)ert Rat
    Holy Cross Trail, named for the big wooden cross it passes.

Des(s)ert Rat
    Drop me a line when you get here and I'll ride with you. My ankle should be healed up just fine...

Des(s)ert Rat
    Well Mr. I Need Pictures, maybe I should blame you?

When can I expect some ice cream? Gotta be Haagen Dasz, Ben and Jerry's, or Soda Jack's...

internet axe murderer

Too bad!

I used to sprain my ankles often while playing volleyball. They are permanently fat from scar tissue, not that I care. Never did apply to be an ankle model...I always wear braces when I play vb now. Anyway, you know they take a long time to heal, so be gentle when riding!

The pictures aren't of the technical stuff since it's hard to really "picture" it without someone in the pic (I was riding solo).
    LOL! The non-techy stuff I wouldn't do solo, no way! I can just imagine how challenging the techy stuff is. Don't sweat your little slump, I'm sure it's temporary, and you've already identified several reasons you'd be off your game.

Thanks for the pics.

Spike

Don't worry, be happy!
    when I've had slumps ( days and days of riding like a dork) I just scale it back, easy singletrack, double track, things I know I can be sucessful on, unitil I know I''m feeling more on top of my game.

formica

Des(s)ert Rat
    Problem with me is that I may not feel out of sorts until I'm already on a challenging trail. Although in this case I was anxious to ride a trail that had been shut down for years and was re-opened last weekend after hours of trailwork. I'm not very patient...

Anyway, if it makes you feel better, I ride with a cell phone. Not all of the areas in which I ride have cell service, but this particular trail is riding distance from downtown GJ.

mtbr member
    All adds up to silly mistakes and bad consequences. Oh well, I heal fast and can still ride with the injury (thanks to clipless pedals and an ankle brace).
    Promise to be careful with that. My husband was riding with a sprained ankle in a brace and clipless pedals. Granted, he was riding DH at Durango and it's gnarly, but he wrecked, couldn't get out of the pedal and now has a torn MCL and tibial plateau fracture. I'm not telling you not to do it for XC riding, but just remember that if you brace your ankle you're putting that stress onto your knee instead when you need to clip out.

Don't get discouraged though. We all have bad days! Take care of yourself and heal up quick!

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Th' Mule
    That looks like some beautiful ground. I really have to come down and check that place out someday. I would love to take my bike for a walk along those trails!
    Yeah, what trail is that? I'll have to take a ride next time I'm at the festival. Fruita is definitely my favorite place to ride.

mtbr member

Wow

That trail looks awesome. Now I have to think about a weekend in Fruita.

I can't ride in a straight line during my period - what is with that?