Noob

Cool-blue Rhythm New rider, already injured before I started.

So, I thought a few of you might get a kick out of this. I just bought a brand new bike, my first mountain bike, it's warm now albeit raining every other day, and I can't ride it because I'm recovering and I was recovering when I bought it.

Rewind to a few months ago. I start thinking about buying a mountain bike, well I had been thinking about it for a while, but seriously started thinking about it. About a month ago, I decide I'm going to buy one and start doing some serious research because I know very little about mountain bikes.

Me and two friends went on a trip to Vermont to go skiing (and snowboarding for them) on March 7th-12th. Plan was drive through on Tuesday night right after work, crash for a few hours, Killington on Wednesday, rest on Thursday, Jay Peak on Friday, Montreal on Friday night, rest on Saturday and Burlington on Saturday night, Stowe on Sunday then drive back on Monday. That plan was going great until we were at Jay Peak on Friday going through some glades, second to last run and I ran into a tree. I was going fast enough that the actual wreck that caused me to hit the tree released my skis and one ski was stuck up in the powder off trail about 20 feet away. It flew like a javelin to that point and stuck down into the snow. I cracked my 11th rib on my left side. I hit right above my hip and basically below my rib cage. I got lucky, very lucky. I don't wear a helmet, but I think I might start next year. I've had one save my ass a few times when I used to BMX, I'm not exactly sure why I don't wear one skiing.

So I start shopping for bikes that next week, but I'm still very sore so I'm not test riding any. Just going around to the different places, seeing what shops I like, what bikes I like from what they carry because I'd much rather buy from an LBS I like. I start driving to one shop randomly before I get a chance to call them. I call them and it's 7:12pm. I ask them when they close and they say "well we are closing up now, but it's just me and I'm watching the game (NCAA tourney), so you can come in." I of course tell him he doesn't need to stay open and I can come back some other time. He said it wasn't a big deal so I came on in. Already a good sign. Guy was really nice and knowledgeable. They had the same bike that I saw and liked at another place for $90 less than retail which is what the other place was asking, because it was an 06' model. I'm ecstatic so I ride it, 6 days after I cracked my rib. It feels good, despite the fact that getting on and off of the bike downright hurts, but I don't want to impulse buy a purchase like this so I sit on it for two days, do some more research, go back and ride it again, and buy it.

I'm very excited and I can't wait to heal up most of the way so I can go ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    good job, just stay on top of that thing and you will be ok.

Noob
    Thanks man! I'm close enough to 100% that I might ride or run a little this weekend depending on how I feel when I start. Actually the biggest thing that's been holding me back isn't my rib but the muscle stiffness in my side, below my rib cage. I'm definitely going to try to go to my apartments gym's spinning and abs class next week. I'm only three weeks out and people said I'd be in pain for longer than this so I'm very happy with how it's healed.

Double-metric mtb man
    Welcome to riding....something tells me you'll have a bunch of funn onve you get out on the wheels, not just admiring them

Hope you heal up soon, man.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mike
    Welcome to riding....something tells me you'll have a bunch of funn onve you get out on the wheels
    I hope so!

...not just admiring them
    The bike sat in the living room for a few days after I bought it, then went to the garage, then about a week ago I brought it back into the living room to take some pics. It's sat there ever since.

Hope you heal up soon, man.
    Thanks, I'm feeling great right now! I almost went for a short run last night, but I told myself I would wait until at least this weekend or next week to do anything strenuous. If I find time away from working on the car this weekend I'm going to try to get a short run or bike in. I'm definitely going to go check out the spinning and abs class one day next week too.