don't thread on me

Never ride with lose Grips..DOH!

I glued on new grips on Sunday, and on Monday PM they were still moving around a little, but wtf, I wanted to ride. So I am almost done and just coming up on the final obstacle, a double dip trail washout. I unclipped my right foot just in case, went down the first gully, up to the top and at the next bottom is this "HUGE" copperhead (1st of the season) crawling through the bottom. I nailed the brakes, picked a line to the right, and whoosh, there goes my left grip. Left hand is above my head, right hand and handlebar is in my lap, and my new line is less than ideal.

Needless to say, I went over hard left, still clipped in, and wouldn't you just know it, I land on a 1X6 survey stake that was sticking up on the left side of trail. Also laying in fresh shiny poison ivy. Nothing broken, but man is this gonna leave a bruise.

Too stupid! I should have known better.

Attachment 358580
    Last edited by Roswell52; 05-22-2008 at 07:19 AM.
    sign here ________________________

mtbr member
    ow
    :wq

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    !
    More pics in the coming days as the 'flower blooms' ???

out of shape
    atleast u didnt get bit
    doylestown pa
    SS cannondale F6

mtbr member
    ugh...yeah..thats a big ouchie...
    but even moreso...i HATE snakes.. especially copperheads..luckily we dont have that problem in NE OHIO
    [SIZE="6"][/SIZE]
    Theres two things wrong with the fire service today.... EMS and PMS
    EMS i can deal with....

GASing
    Never ride with loose ANYTHING for that matter. It's always good to tighten/inspect everything every so often (every time you wash it). I've slacked on that, and found I lost a few chain ring bolts, and discovered a loose rotor (ouch!)

Your story sounds like a good reason to get locking grips. I will never use anything else.

Former MTBR Member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Roswell52
    I unclipped my right foot just in case...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by funkle
    Your story sounds like a good reason to get locking grips. I will never use anything else.
    just switched too. ill never even consider using anything else

don't thread on me
    They were Oury rubber grips, which I really like. I took them off, and soaked them in hot water to remove the previous glue. Once they were dry, I used "White Rain" hairspray to put them back on. Just spray it in the grip, a little on the bar, and quickly push them on. Quickly align them and let dry for 24 hours.

They are now tight and secure./ No movement at all.

Still using a cane to climb the steps, but recovering nicely. Tried to ride last night. Ouch, not ready yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Roswell52
    They were Oury rubber grips, which I really like. I took them off, and soaked them in hot water to remove the previous glue. Once they were dry, I used "White Rain" hairspray to put them back on. Just spray it in the grip, a little on the bar, and quickly push them on. Quickly align them and let dry for 24 hours.

They are now tight and secure./ No movement at all.

Still using a cane to climb the steps, but recovering nicely. Tried to ride last night. Ouch, not ready yet.
    Re-using rubber grips is a crap shot. Invest in some Oury lock-on's and you won't have to worry about slipper's.

GASing
    One thing about the hairspray method is if water gets in there, the grips can loosen up. And it always seems like the conventional grips shift and get all twisted. Locking grips stay where you put them, and can be taken on and off, and reused. They cost more, but you can re-use them. No Brainer. There are plenty of other brands too. I like the Ergons.

don't thread on me

Day 5 pics

My Monday 5-5 bruise is really starting to bloom. Here's to you CdaleTony. This looks like my last gunshot wound... I have nicknamed this thing "Bruiso de Mayo", and vowed to drink Corona and Dos XX every day until it doesn't hurt.

Attachment 359236

I can walk and climb stairs now, but riding is still not fun.

I miss my two wheeled friend.
    Last edited by Roswell52; 05-22-2008 at 07:19 AM.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    OUch, looks nice. How bout a pic from a lil farther out....is that the front inside of your thigh?
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

Front Range, Colorado
    It is sad that it takes this for you to learn your lesson. Try some of these and you will never go back.
    http://www.odigrips.com/mtb_intense_lo.htm
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A