mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Need a guru or sagacious cyclist to help me fix my cleats/feet!

When I ride my bike for any length of time, I get some nerve pain on the outer edge of my foot that is proximal to my little toe, along the lateral edge of my foot.

The odd thing is that it seems like it's related to my cleat position because the pain began in my right foot and now that I've been toying with my cleat position and my shoes, the pain is now more pronounced in my left foot.

Any input on how to resolve this problem is greatly appreciated!

Additionally, the pain is worse when I move my saddle more forward so I'm now riding with my saddle in it most aft position. Further, I moved my cleats as far forward as they will go in both my Sidi and Specialized shoes because when trying to resolve this issue I HAD moved my cleats as far rearward as they would go, BUT THAT caused the pain to worsen.

Thank you in advance!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Cleat & seat positioning is all addressed in a proper bike fitting.. It is usually money well spent..

That said, typically it is best to have cleats under the balls of your feet, not all the way forward... Are your feet moving around in your shoes and over time sliding forward so that the pinky toe is crushed against the side... Maybe try securing top lace/strap a bit tighter so that your feet don't slide forward inside the shoe...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by branthopolis View Post
    Cleat & seat positioning is all addressed in a proper bike fitting.. It is usually money well spent..

That said, typically it is best to have cleats under the balls of your feet, not all the way forward... Are your feet moving around in your shoes and over time sliding forward so that the pinky toe is crushed against the side... Maybe try securing top lace/strap a bit tighter so that your feet don't slide forward inside the shoe...

That's a really interesting point that you make b/c almost every other person that I have spoken to suggested to loosen the toe strap. Your idea makes sense b/c I noticed that when I run that if I don't tighten my shoelaces that my foot slides around inside the shoe and that also irritates the inflammation/nerve pain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I didn't say the toe strap.. I am talking about the highest one... The first strap or two (from the tow), in my experience need to be snug, but too tight will put my feet to sleep.. The top strap near your ankle is the one that I'm talking about..

Edit....
    That top strap (near ankle) will keep your feet from sliding forward.. Tightening the lower (toe straps) only causes your feet to be wedged into a tight place when they slide forward...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Of course, someone will pipe up in 3....2....1... and tell me I'm wrong...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by branthopolis View Post
    I didn't say the toe strap.. I am talking about the highest one... The first strap or two (from the tow), in my experience need to be snug, but too tight will put my feet to sleep.. The top strap near your ankle is the one that I'm talking about..
    Ok, cool- thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hope it helps.. It did for me... Obviously everyones feet are different.. Hopefully others will chime in..