mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Neck pain while wearing camelbak?

So while doing some long trips bikecamping, I have been noticing that when I wear my camelbak that is weighted down with 3L of water, 1 pair of clothes (shorts / shirt / socks - all ULW / UnderArmor), and a pair of "camp shoes" - sandels with hiking soles, I'm starting to feel a bit of pain on the left side of my neck, near the spine.

Anyone know what's going on with that, and how do I prevent it?

mtbr member

Neck pain while wearing camelbak?

Wearing a fully loaded Camelbak is possibly putting strain on your back and neck muscles.

http://greatist.com/health/how-carry...cking-yourself

The cycling position of leaning forwards with your arms outstretched and head up can make that strain worse too because it's not that natural a position. What I've found with Camelbaks in the past is that if you have the shoulder straps short, so that the pack is high on your back, the upper edge of the Camelbak can dig into the back of your neck when leant over in the cycling position.

Something to look at is whether the pack is stable whilst you're riding. If the chest and waist straps aren't holding it in place then the Camelbak could be slipping to one side as you ride, which would result in your tensing your body to try and compensate for the weight shift. If it's bouncing around over bumps that will make it harder on your back and neck muscles also.

If you can the easiest solution would probably be to carry more of your equipment on the bike, rather than in a backpack, or maybe try and travel lighter with less baggage if that's feasible. With less weight on your back it should hopefully make it more comfortable whilst riding.

mtbr member
    The fact that the pain is on one side only tells me either there is a load imbalance, or you need some chiropractic adjustment and care. Also, you might consider raising your bars/stem for long heavy laden rides. I wish you well
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!