Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
  1. #1
    smw
    smw is offline
    pedal pusher
    Reputation: smw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,234

    My injury update

    yesterday I saw an orthopedic specialist. He said my hip injury is on of 2 things, the easy one is just a muscle strain. The other is the same disease as Floyd Landis has, loss of blood flow to the hip joint area. I will be going for an MRI in the next few days so they can determine which it is. If it is the loss of blood flow the Dr said I caught it before any detoriation has happened, and there will be other alternatives to treat the problem. Ill just have to wait till next week for the answer. In the mean time enjoy your rides, as Im relegated to doing battle with the roadie folks. The only time it doesnt hurt is when I am riding, so that is the good part, all of the Dr's have told me to continue riding but stay off the SS.

    Sean
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

  2. #2
    Feeling a little taller
    Reputation: Dan'ger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6,697
    Crap! Sorry to hear that. Glad that the docs are working on the problem. Speedy recovery!
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.


    Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

  3. #3
    Groveland Trail Heads
    Reputation: scheckler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,885

    I miss

    Quote Originally Posted by smw
    yesterday I saw an orthopedic specialist. He said my hip injury is on of 2 things, the easy one is just a muscle strain. The other is the same disease as Floyd Landis has, loss of blood flow to the hip joint area. I will be going for an MRI in the next few days so they can determine which it is. If it is the loss of blood flow the Dr said I caught it before any detoriation has happened, and there will be other alternatives to treat the problem. Ill just have to wait till next week for the answer. In the mean time enjoy your rides, as Im relegated to doing battle with the roadie folks. The only time it doesnt hurt is when I am riding, so that is the good part, all of the Dr's have told me to continue riding but stay off the SS.

    Sean
    riding with you.... You said no SSing but what about taking the Yeti out
    My beat box is bumpin' and my rhymes are fresh...
    www.grovelandtrailheads.org

  4. #4
    smw
    smw is offline
    pedal pusher
    Reputation: smw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,234
    Quote Originally Posted by scheckler
    riding with you.... You said no SSing but what about taking the Yeti out

    Well, because decending requires alot of standing, Im trying to give this thing a break, so I will stay off the dirt stuff till I find out whats going on and it is taken care of. You can always join, Andy, Justin, and I on the metric century Stop Drop and Roll ride in a couple of weeks, just put on your road tires, and bring your climbing legs. Ill be attempting to do the whole ride sitting.

    Sean
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ibisGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    494
    Wow, well keep us all posted on what happens. Hopefully it will be a muscle strain.

  6. #6
    Paper or plastic?
    Reputation: zorg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    7,888
    Damn, I hope you get better and to see you on a ride pretty soon.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

  7. #7
    Groveland Trail Heads
    Reputation: scheckler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,885

    I am

    Quote Originally Posted by smw
    Well, because decending requires alot of standing, Im trying to give this thing a break, so I will stay off the dirt stuff till I find out whats going on and it is taken care of. You can always join, Andy, Justin, and I on the metric century Stop Drop and Roll ride in a couple of weeks, just put on your road tires, and bring your climbing legs. Ill be attempting to do the whole ride sitting.

    Sean
    thinking about joining you guys.
    My beat box is bumpin' and my rhymes are fresh...
    www.grovelandtrailheads.org

  8. #8
    smw
    smw is offline
    pedal pusher
    Reputation: smw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,234
    Quote Originally Posted by scheckler
    thinking about joining you guys.

    You should join us, Ill be cruising in last Im sure, but my goal is to complete the ride. The money goes to burn victims, actually kids that are burn victims. Oh and the ride is supported.

    Sean
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

  9. #9
    aka dan51
    Reputation: d-bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,668
    Quote Originally Posted by smw
    You should join us, Ill be cruising in last Im sure, but my goal is to complete the ride. The money goes to burn victims, actually kids that are burn victims. Oh and the ride is supported.

    Sean
    Is that a road ride?
    Hopefully it's just a muscle thing. You'll be fine.
    Since you're not riding the SS, maybe you could loan it out like Francis

    -Dan
    Last edited by d-bug; 07-18-2006 at 06:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

  10. #10
    aka dan51
    Reputation: d-bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,668
    Quote Originally Posted by dan51
    Is that a road ride?

    -Dan
    Yeah dumbass, it's a road ride. Just Google it
    http://www.active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=1334447

    -Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,990
    Sean..... Take care of that hip.

    I'm betting that it's a strain. If I remember correctly, it started right after you started single speeding big time. Single speeding is really rough on the joints.

    You most likely over-did it.

    Enjoy the road rides, but don't push it. You'll be back riding on the dirt in no time.

    I am surprised that your doc is letting you ride a century..... even a metric....even sitting. Common sense would dictate that you take it easy until things get better.

    Seriously consider skipping the metric and taking shorter rides for a while. Long rides.... even sitting... are still putting strain on your hips.

    Doctors are so stupid sometimes

  12. #12
    It's about showing up.
    Reputation: Berkeley Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,272

    Go out on the road

    It is less stressful and that is really the issue now if you want to heal and stay somewhat fit. It is easier to dose out your efforts and isolate strain. This will at least let you get out and work your legs and the rest of your body. It will help to keep your mind clear and give you some physical satisfaction and help fight off the frustration and worry. It will help you be patient. Remember that you are measuring out your effort and not being a hammerhead. Good luck.
    Last edited by Berkeley Mike; 07-19-2006 at 07:37 AM.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grrrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,153
    Quote Originally Posted by smw
    Well, because decending requires alot of standing, Im trying to give this thing a break, so I will stay off the dirt stuff till I find out whats going on and it is taken care of. You can always join, Andy, Justin, and I on the metric century Stop Drop and Roll ride in a couple of weeks, just put on your road tires, and bring your climbing legs. Ill be attempting to do the whole ride sitting.

    Sean
    If you don't mind, I wanna join you guys too. If you do mind, well too bad. you will just have to try and drop me (which shouldn't be too hard).

  14. #14
    smw
    smw is offline
    pedal pusher
    Reputation: smw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts
    Sean..... Take care of that hip.

    I'm betting that it's a strain. If I remember correctly, it started right after you started single speeding big time. Single speeding is really rough on the joints.

    You most likely over-did it.

    Enjoy the road rides, but don't push it. You'll be back riding on the dirt in no time.

    I am surprised that your doc is letting you ride a century..... even a metric....even sitting. Common sense would dictate that you take it easy until things get better.

    Seriously consider skipping the metric and taking shorter rides for a while. Long rides.... even sitting... are still putting strain on your hips.

    Doctors are so stupid sometimes
    I was off the bike for 4 weeks and it didnt improve, so staying off the bike is not the answer. Riding is actually great therapy for injuries, as long as your not hammering hard efforts. My riding is pretty much spinning, my heart rate is getting nowhere near max. It loosens the muscles in my legs and lower back. Going into atraphy(sp) is not good either. Physical therapy this morning, and they said Ive improved alot in the past 10 days.

    By the way, Justin and I did a 60 miler last weekend in 95 deg. temps. I was tired, but it felt really good the next day. Again, its just spinning at what the legs want to produce, no real physical effort, like trying to get over a hill in a bigger gear. When I get to the hill, I drop into the small ring and spin.

    There is a sag wagon on the ride, so if my body doesnt feel up to it, I will hitch a ride. Mt Hamilton will be a test run this weekend.

    Sean
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

  15. #15
    smw
    smw is offline
    pedal pusher
    Reputation: smw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,234
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah
    If you don't mind, I wanna join you guys too. If you do mind, well too bad. you will just have to try and drop me (which shouldn't be too hard).

    We dont mind at all, the more the merrier. You wont have to worry about me dropping anybody. My goal is to finish, I will finish by pacing myself. The nice thing about this ride is there are decents, the ride I did last weekend was all pedaling. You can register using the link in Dans post.

    Sean
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grrrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,153
    aight.. I'm in for SDR! Must prove to Rensho that I can be a roadie too!
    even though there is an after BBQ, I am sure us MTBRers can show em how to finish a ride in style!
    Quote Originally Posted by smw
    Mt Hamilton will be a test run this weekend.

    Sean
    Start early, very early.. 100+ temps this weekend.

    best of luck with wth leg.

  17. #17
    smw
    smw is offline
    pedal pusher
    Reputation: smw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,234
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah
    aight.. I'm in for SDR! Must prove to Rensho that I can be a roadie too!
    even though there is an after BBQ, I am sure us MTBRers can show em how to finish a ride in style!

    Start early, very early.. 100+ temps this weekend.

    best of luck with wth leg.

    Will be starting around 7am, so we should be done around 10am.

    Sean
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

  18. #18
    smw
    smw is offline
    pedal pusher
    Reputation: smw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,234
    Quote Originally Posted by dan51
    Is that a road ride?
    Hopefully it's just a muscle thing. You'll be fine.
    Since you're not riding the SS, maybe you could loan it out like Francis

    -Dan

    You want to borrow the Niner? Come and get it.

    Sean
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

  19. #19
    aka baycat
    Reputation: Ryan G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,478
    Wish you a speedy recovery Sean, hope you can still drink beer

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sungchang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    641
    Hey Sean, just saw the post. Hope it's just a muscle strain and wish you a speedy recovery. Good luck on the century as well.

    Btw isn't the Tangina a little too big for Dan?

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grrrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,153
    so how was mt. hamilton on the hip? did you do a solo breakaway and gain 6:30 on everyone else?

    Any other roadies in for Stop, Drop and Roll?

  22. #22
    bike buster
    Reputation: jdubsl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,182
    The Mt. Hamilton ride went pretty well. It was hard for me to get up early enough to meet for our planned 7am start time. Sean was moving pretty slowly and had a hard time getting up. After an Egg McMuffin type thing from Le Boulenger, we got started around 8:20am. It took us just under 2 hours to get to the observatory in scorching heat. The first thing both of us did was stick our heads under the faucet. Felt great! :-D After that, pedaled up to the main building and got some cold fountain water. Filled the water bottles up, drank them, filled them again. Met up with a couple of other guys that, if it weren't for the heat I wouldn't believe, had a 'support vehicle.' Munched on some grapes, gatorade, etc., etc. Good stuff. This is actually the second week Sean and I have scored on free fuel. Mwahaha. The decent back to the truck wasn't as fun as it would have been in normal temperatures. Instead of feeling like wind against your body, it felt like you were riding through a fire. The radiating heat from the pavement made it seem as if you were on a giant BBQ. The truck was a welcome sight.... air conditioning and all. I cannonballed into the pool the second I got home. Overall, a fun (although extremely HOT) ride and my first time up Mt. Hamilton.

    The SD&R should be fun. See you there. :-D


    Justin

  23. #23
    smw
    smw is offline
    pedal pusher
    Reputation: smw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,234
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah
    so how was mt. hamilton on the hip? did you do a solo breakaway and gain 6:30 on everyone else?

    Any other roadies in for Stop, Drop and Roll?

    No breakaways for me, it was all about pacing. My hip felt fine till I ran out of water, but a bit of stretching and lots of fluid at the top and it was feeling pretty decent. Actually aside from Justin putting 5 minutes into me, nobody else ever passed me and I passed 6 other riders, 2 of those guys mentioned it took them 3.5hrs.

    I had an MRI last nite, and I see the Dr wed afternoon so hopefully that will shed some light. I have no power from that leg at all, so I have no choice but to pace. And doing a metric century, my first, pacing is the way to go anyway. I just got to figure out how Im gonna get up that early on Sat morning.

    Sean
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grrrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,153
    Quote Originally Posted by smw
    No breakaways for me, it was all about pacing. My hip felt fine till I ran out of water, but a bit of stretching and lots of fluid at the top and it was feeling pretty decent. Actually aside from Justin putting 5 minutes into me, nobody else ever passed me and I passed 6 other riders, 2 of those guys mentioned it took them 3.5hrs.

    I had an MRI last nite, and I see the Dr wed afternoon so hopefully that will shed some light. I have no power from that leg at all, so I have no choice but to pace. And doing a metric century, my first, pacing is the way to go anyway. I just got to figure out how Im gonna get up that early on Sat morning.

    Sean
    just under 2 hrs in schorching weather and a bad limb is pretty darn good. Thats about my time with a good leg

    as for saturday, think of it as the earlier you start, the earlier we get to the finish cooler

    my dad just started riding and will be doing the 30 miler.. I am hoping to finish around the same time as him.

  25. #25
    smw
    smw is offline
    pedal pusher
    Reputation: smw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,234
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah
    just under 2 hrs in schorching weather and a bad limb is pretty darn good. Thats about my time with a good leg

    as for saturday, think of it as the earlier you start, the earlier we get to the finish cooler

    my dad just started riding and will be doing the 30 miler.. I am hoping to finish around the same time as him.

    Am I correct in believing that you are riding your mt bike for this ride? Im
    hoping to be done by noon, Ive only been on the bike for that long once, the Niscene to Demo ride, hope I dont feel that bad this time.

    Sean
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •