Thread: my comeback...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

my comeback...

I will start off with the late 80's...

I began racing bmx competitively when I was 8 years old. My family was extremely poor and I was racing on my bike that my parents got for $14 at a yard sale. I was immediately entranced by the sport. My very first race was 3 heats. I placed 1st in all three heats. Over the years I got better and better and finally was receiving better bikes each and every season. When I was 13 I decided to start entering into some bmx "street" competitions. I wasn't as good as the other guys.

In order to move up in the ranks I had to push myself hard, and try tricks that nobody had ever heard of. Within the next 5 years I had had 3 knee surgeries, a broken femur, broken ankle, and multiple other injuries. Through all of that I began to develop a god complex.

I remember riding with a friend just messing around. I did a simple gap-to-manual when I fell. Wasn't a hard fall, but it hurt, and instantly made me sick. What I found out in the next few moments was that I had broken my back.

I was sitting in the hospital getting all types of xrays. I overheard the doctor calling an emergency surgeon. I didn't realize it was me, they needed the surgeon for. Apparently I had shattered my l3, l4, and l5 vertebra, and had severed most of the nerves. I thought the paralysis was from swelling or something along those lines. The doctor tried to explain the severity of my injury.

I was rushed into surgery, and that's when things took a turn for the worse.

It was a couple days and a 16 hour long surgery later that I awoke in intensive care. Apparently my body was shutting down, and I had severe internal bleeding. I still wasn't aware of the severity of what was going on.

All of the doctors insisted that I would never ride a bike, run, and most likely never walk again. That was devastating.

It took me 2 years of intense pain and rehab before I walked again, but I did it. Then I started running. And just last year I started biking again. It took 12 years, but I am finally riding again, and I hope to be able to ride in some competitions in the future.

There isn't a single moment of any day that I am not in pain, but I have recovered from a life changing injury, and am back riding.

That's my story of the worst injury of my life.

SkreaminQuadz
    Wow, that's quite a story. Glad to hear you pushed through and riding again, things you were told you'd never do. Congrats on your progress to date and continued improvement. Inspiring for sure!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Luckily during my recovery I was able to get a good education, a good job, and have a beautiful wife and 3 kids to use as inspiration.

Its hard being back at a beginner level.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Just did 38 miles today. Mostly gravel trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Just did 38 miles today. Mostly gravel trails.

Certifiably Crazy
    Wow, what a story! My hats off to you.
    2011 Felt Z5
    2012 Felt Nine Race
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajkirton View Post
    Luckily during my recovery I was able to get a good education, a good job, and have a beautiful wife and 3 kids to use as inspiration.

Its hard being back at a beginner level.
    Great story, congratulations.