mtbr member
    Mar 2012

My body quit on me today

After a few hours of trail maintenance, I was anxious to get out on a ride. We had a good crew, all of which were fit. One guy seemed like he had a motor on his bike, and I began to feel 40 as this 26 year old dropped me again and again.
    We hit a rock section, when my body started sending me a message. My two middle fingers "cramped" and locked onto my bar grip. It took 5 min to work it loose. Then the cramp travelled to my elbow. It locked in a bent position for another five.

1o min later, the cramp moved to my chest. Then my legs. They locked straight. I became the whiny guy on the ride, looking to turn back at every chance.

We ended up getting 18 miles in, and were on the last climb when the body wouldn't respond. It quit on me. I had to walk it out.

I'm not happy, as I don't want to be the complainer on any ride.. This is the first time in my life that my body wouldn't respond. I don't know how to handle it.

It sucks getting old..

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Meh, sounds like a nutritional issue to me. Eat more bacon before the ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Bacon.... That's genius. I'll give it a shot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Your first mistake was not reading your body's signs correctly when the "symptoms" started coming on. Your second mistake was to continue not reading your body's signs. Your third mistake...
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    sounds like you dehydrated.
    2012 Airborne Guardian.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    All good advice. I never had to look for signs, because its never happened before. I've had stomach cramps, but never in my hands, or elbows. It's happened after a rock section, which I guess makes sense, as the hands and arms were pretty busy.

Ill know soon enough. I plan on getting back on the bike for another high paced ride to see where I stand.

I will start the ride with bacon..

Ow!
    Yeah, bacon, that will take care of it. It sounds nutritional or dehydration to me, too. As I get older, I need watch what I eat before and after a good workout (even though I am fat and look like I have lots of reserves). Easier to bonk as compared to when I was a "youngster".

40 is still young and it only gets more "challenging" as you get older. But maybe more fun, too.