Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I pm'd you

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I had a 4th degree, and my clavicle tore through my muscle. I was told surgery was necessary. 3 days later I actually felt a lot better before going in for surgery. Post surgery sucks anus! It was just as painful as the original incident. Its definitely a slower recovery with the surgery. I'm 4 weeks in and with heavy PT I still can't get my arm up to shoulder height, even assisted. Pain is finally subsiding and I'm hoping I will soon be able to sleep in a bed comfortably. Been sleeping in a recliner for a month now. With the surgery, you are told to remain in the Immobilizer sling for 6 months. These are all the down sides to the surgery, but I know I will be closer to normal and that makes it worth it for me. Hopefully I can be back to work in another month.
    Last edited by hotrodcummins12v; 09-11-2013 at 08:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Had a 3rd degree separation about 17 years ago in a MTB accident. Screw in the shoulder for about 6 weeks to hold everything in place. Slept in a recliner for those 6 weeks. I remember it took a while for rehab and to gain back full range of motion. Definitely helped having this pulley system that hooked to the door frame that I could use to help stretch everything out. Have full range of motion and no issues with it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I was mountain biking porcupine rim in Moab UT 4 weeks ago today and was within the last 2 miles of the trail and hit a steep section and flipped my bike. I now have a type 3 tear in my Left AC. (Shown in the PICS). I have been to 3 different Docs, 1 in Moab and the other 2 here in my home city. The first doc said that I probably would not need the surgery and the second doc said I prob would not need the surgery either but he sent me to another doc who specializes more in this type of injury. The third doc recommends that I have the surgery. I work as a firefighter and I am also a rock climber so given what I do for a living and my active lifestyle I am choosing to go threw with the surgery. I know there is a lot of controversy on Type 3 AC tears so I really do not know what the best option would be in the long run but I think I have decided to go threw with the surgery on JUNE 16th. I have noticed that most people that have this type of injury do not go threw with the surgery and some of them do have trouble down the road.......I would like to hear any other stories or suggestions especially if you have had the surgery
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My AC (Shoulder) Separation Story and Experience-dsc03355-1-.jpg  

My AC (Shoulder) Separation Story and Experience-dsc03354-1-.jpg  

My AC (Shoulder) Separation Story and Experience-dsc03353-1-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaP84 View Post
    I was mountain biking porcupine rim in Moab UT 4 weeks ago today and was within the last 2 miles of the trail and hit a steep section and flipped my bike. I now have a type 3 tear in my Left AC. (Shown in the PICS). I have been to 3 different Docs, 1 in Moab and the other 2 here in my home city. The first doc said that I probably would not need the surgery and the second doc said I prob would not need the surgery either but he sent me to another doc who specializes more in this type of injury. The third doc recommends that I have the surgery. I work as a firefighter and I am also a rock climber so given what I do for a living and my active lifestyle I am choosing to go threw with the surgery. I know there is a lot of controversy on Type 3 AC tears so I really do not know what the best option would be in the long run but I think I have decided to go threw with the surgery on JUNE 16th. I have noticed that most people that have this type of injury do not go threw with the surgery and some of them do have trouble down the road.......I would like to hear any other stories or suggestions especially if you have had the surgery
    You are DEFINITELY better off getting the surgery. I didn't get the surgery for my 3rd degree separation and now years later I have arthritis that is so painful I can't even mow my lawn. I often can't get though a full day of work. I am spending 14- 18 hours a day in bed. I am trying to find a sugeon to take the tip of the collarbone off but the wait is many months. I have been suffering since early April and I might be able to get surgery in September.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Well I am 2 weeks out of surgery and not feeling good! I woke up out of surgery not only with a sore shoulder but with a paralyzed left arm. Apparently the doctor either placed the clamps over my nerves during the surgery and put them to sleep or it might have something to do with the anesthesiologists...I am not sure and neither is my doctor...so basically I have a left arm that I cannot use as of right now. The doc failed to mention that this surgery could result in nerve damage. So now not only is my shoulder recovering but I have to wait and see if I get any feeling back in my left arm over the next few weeks. My shoulder is actually doing better than my arm. I have pain that shoots down from my shoulder to my finger tips because of the nerves and it sux. Makes me kinda regret getting the surgery. Apparently this is a rare thing so it only makes sense that it would happen to me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Well I am 2 weeks out of surgery and not feeling good! I woke up out of surgery not only with a sore shoulder but with a paralyzed left arm. Apparently the doctor either placed the clamps over my nerves during the surgery and put them to sleep or it might have something to do with the anesthesiologists...I am not sure and neither is my doctor...so basically I have a left arm that I cannot use as of right now. The doc failed to mention that this surgery could result in nerve damage. So now not only is my shoulder recovering but I have to wait and see if I get any feeling back in my left arm over the next few weeks. My shoulder is actually doing better than my arm. I have pain that shoots down from my shoulder to my finger tips because of the nerves and it sux. Makes me kinda regret getting the surgery. Apparently this is a rare thing so it only makes sense that it would happen to me.
    Sounds like your suprascapular nerve. I had though my problem was arthritis but now it is looking like a suprascapular neuropathy. It happened to me 20 years after having a separation that I probably should have had surgery on. I have not talked to a neurologist yet. You should get a neurology consult.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I got a MRI and I did a EMG nerve test the other day and they say that it is my radial nerve that is damaged and that it was probably caused by improper positioning during the surgery or they said the blood pressure cuff might have been to tight around my arm. So I am basically stuck waiting to see if the nerve will recover on its own. They say it could take 2-6 months. U know doctors spend all of their time in books and learning new ways of doing things in our advanced society that it just amazes me how little common sense they have so now I have to suffer for who knows how long because the doctor and his medical staff were to smart to realize a simple mistake. Very Frustrating!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I got a MRI and I did a EMG nerve test the other day and they say that it is my radial nerve that is damaged and that it was probably caused by improper positioning during the surgery or they said the blood pressure cuff might have been to tight around my arm. So I am basically stuck waiting to see if the nerve will recover on its own. They say it could take 2-6 months. U know doctors spend all of their time in books and learning new ways of doing things in our advanced society that it just amazes me how little common sense they have so now I have to suffer for who knows how long because the doctor and his medical staff were to smart to realize a simple mistake. Very Frustrating!
    Infuriating.That's why I checked every site that reviews docs before going to a surgeon. I checked ratemd, angies's list and doctorscorcard. You should probably post your story on those sites eventually to warn people away from that surgeon. I know a nurse who works at a major trauma hospital in the NE US and she says there is one surgeon there who makes so many mistakes that he shouldn't be allowed to practice. I hear people say there is a lawsuit epidemic. That's not true though. There is an epidemic of medical incompetence and that's why there are so many suits. Wiki says. "If the injury is demyelinating (meaning only the myelin sheath surrounding the nerve is damaged), then full recovery typically occurs within 2-4 weeks. If the injury is axonal (meaning the underlying nerve fiber itself is damaged) then full recovery may take months or years, or may never occur." I hope it gets better.

My problem is still a total mystery. The last 2 orthopedic surgeons I saw said it wasn't neuropathy. MRI only shows some inflammation of the acromion, but no reason why. One said he would reattach the separated collarbone. He admits that not everything shows up on medical scans like x-rays and MRI. Maybe when he is poking around in there he will see other problems. Probably my best bet. I have had growths as large as walnuts in my foot that didn't show up on MRI. My podiatrist only found them after cutting me open. Two of them were on the nerves. Have had to have a couple of foot nerves removed but they are only sensory nerves. Can move my 4th and 5th toes but can't feel them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2