mtbr member

Multiple Facial Fractures & 5th Metacarpl

I ate it pretty good last Wednesday. I went to pass my buddy did something terribly wrong.

I broke the fifth metacarpal on my left hand. This is in a soft cast and should heal with no problems. I also landed on my face and have three facial fractures which include a fracture of the inferior orbital floor on the left, fracture of the anterior and lateral walls of the maxillary sinus and a displaced fracture of the left zygomatic arch. I also had a concussion and dont remember where I messed up-this is kinda frustrating. Luckily I was with two friends. One stayed with me, the other went to get the car and they drove me to the ER.

I'm going to get some plates installed this Friday to help stabilize one of the breaks. They're going to make 3 incisions. One by my eye brow, one under my lower eye lid (conjuntiva?) and another under my upper lip to place several small plates to secure my cheek bone back in place and to fix the broken and displaced zygomatic arch.

I hope to be back on the road bike by August and the mountain bike soon after.

Her's a link to some pics:
    Broken Face - a set on Flickr
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Man, you really did mess up. I'm not surprised your short-term memory is affected, either. I've seen injuries like yours before...in one case, it was as a result of a fight, in which the guy got punched precisely at the posterior edge of the temporal arch, with the force of the blow actually moving forward, into/past his face. This resulted in his eye actually being dislodged from the socket. It was literally laying down on his cheekbone.

To top it all off, he actually WON that fight! He recovered, too, with a bit of residual vision impairment, but good enough to drive.

So, the reason for relating that grim little tale to you is that YOU can recover completely from this injury, too. Just give yourself the time it takes, and get back on the bike, even if its' just on a paved bike path, as soon as possible.

Oh yeah, and don't forget to always wear yer helmet!
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the support Ray! I'll be back on my bike in no time. If you google the facial injuries I have a lot of the results are boxers. Its amazing what our bodies can recover from.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    get well man. I'm lucky i didn't break my face on my last fall...sure did bruise it tho

official eMpTyBRain
    Oh man, why did I open your link to the pics?! OUCH!!!

Really sorry and hope you heal up well and fast!

Hang in there.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    dude, i saw your other thread on the norcal forum. hope you feel better soon, and hang in there. CalFire had to cart me out of demo forest back in 2010, so i know it can be painful. just go slow w/ the recovery, and see if you can get a good physical therapist (they often know more than the ortho in terms of the best way to help you rehab)
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member

Surgery Re Cap

I got home from El Camino Hospital this morning. My Dr said it was a pretty tough surgery.

When they got into my cheek they discovered 3 additional fractures that didn't show up on the CT scan for a total of 6. The additional fractures were on thin bone that is tough to screw into. Instead of 3 plates I have four. They also had to punch a small hole through my cheek in order to to fit a screw driver in.

I had lots of nausea during recovery last night. That cleared up today. The pain isn't too bad, more like a feeling of pressure. I have some Vicodin to help out too. My vision was blurry from antibiotic ointment they put on my eye. that's cleared up too. The eye is really wet and a bit sore if I move it a lot.

I'm really looking forward to getting back on the bike. I'm thinking trainer first. I'll have to rig up something for my broken hand. By the time the hand is healed I should be on the road bike, then back on dirt. Arastradero park is just up the road from where I live. That should be a good start. By then I should be able to rock climb again too.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    I had the same facial fractures and concussion. The CAT scan of my head was disconcerting, lots of bone pieces where they should not be. No eye damage although that was a possibility.
    The ER doc said he was thinking about taking up mountain biking but was having second thoughts...

mtbr member

Update

It's been 3 months since my surgery. I'm happy to say life is very very good. I've been riding more than ever. I started commuting on my bike 10 miles each way to work 2-3 days a week. I've gone scuba diving a few times and have been able to do some rock climbing again, just a little but it's a start. Fitness wise I think I'm at about the same level as I was before the crash. My hand strength is still coming back for the downhills for breaking and the vibrations. I thought I'd be at this point in mid to late November.

The swelling in my face is pretty much gone. A lot of the feeling has come back. My upper left teeth and gums are still numb and my upper lip is still numb. I don't have 100% feeling on the left side of my face but it's much better. Most people wouldn't know anything had happened to my face. I drool all over my pillow if I'm on my left side at night but that's about the worst of it. My left wrist gets a little sore but where the fracture was doesn't bother me at all.

I finally got all the medical bills. I'm so fortunate to have health insurance. The pre insurance cost was $110,000.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Wow, you are a trooper, and one with an obvious good attitude!

Broke my 4th metacarpal and was wondering if you had a modified cast that allowed you to ride. My Doc is saying 6 wks before anything strenuous, and one week into it and I'm already pretty frigidity.

BTW, do you think a face guard would have prevented your facial injuries? I've seen some different types of bars that bolt onto helmets and thinking of trying one out. Don't see a big downside.

Speedy full recovery to you!

mtbr member
    I would say yes a full face helmet would have prevented my injuries. My hand might still have broken and I still might have had a concussion. With that said, I'm still riding a regular helmet.
    Just be carefull with an add on bar or some types of helmets. If you land on the bar and it fails and can impale your face and do some pretty bad damage...worse than just punching the ground with your face.

So it's 10 months. Both sides of my face are more or less the same. My cheekbone on the broken side is a little less pronounced than the non broken side. I think I'm the only person who can see it so who cares. My teeth and gums on that side are still numb but I can feel sharp pointy things. I still drool at night. I've noticed some odd things. If I put pressure on my temple I can feel it on my eye lid and if I drag something pointy across my upper lip I can feel it on my cheek just below my eye.

I just bought a 2010 Barely used Turner 5 Spot in April and have been having a blast riding it every chance I get. I'm getting a divemaster certification this summer so I won't be riding as much as I would normally like to, but I'll be spending a lot of time under water.

Multiple Facial Fractures & 5th Metacarpl-549113_4992213037824_1084026825_n.jpg
    I like to ride bikes.