Thread: Mitch

mtbr member
    May 2007

Mitch

New at this so if I'm in the wrong place please forgive me.

Last Tuesday I was riding about 25mph and passed out. The resulting crash was pretty bad. Anyhow I now have a pacemaker and the Doc says when all of my injuries heal I should be able to get back to riding.
    I'm wondering if anyone out there has had or knows of any simular accidents and the long term results? I'm wondering if it really will be safe.
    Some background
    Age 72 cycling and or running for over 40 years Always excellent health still do centuries in under 5 hr and 5K tt in under 8min (if the conditions are right!!!) Race often and train at least 200miles/week
    Amazing but no broken bones 48 stiches lots of skin loss bruises, cuncussion.
    No advance warning AT ALL just riding one min. and looking up at a Doc. in ER the next.
    Of course the first question was how is my bike?
    Any feedback would be appreciated And thank you in advance

Double-metric mtb man
    Well, I'd say you are posting in the right place. As a volunteer first aider, I've heard of the same thing in terms of the first question when a patient comes around... "What is the score?" (heart attack at a hockey game) and "Is the concert over already?" (too much of a 'good' thing).

I've never had anything like this happen to me, but I know it can happen. I'd say take it easy when you are getting back into the saddle. I don't know all the ins and outs of pacemakers...but keep the communications open with your doc and feel it out / take it slow if he gives you the green light to get riding again.
    Last edited by Psycho Mike; 05-07-2007 at 10:52 PM.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member

Friend of a friend

A friend of a friend apparently had nearly the same thing happen to him. He is in his 40s I think. I guess he was so fit that his pulse was way too low so they put in a pacemaker to make his pulse faster so he wouldn't keep passing out. I guess after some initial adjustments to the pacemaker over the course of some weeks, he's back to riding just as hard as ever. Hopefully that's inspiration for you. Keep riding.

Forgiven
    Sorry to hear of your accident. What was your Cardiac diagnosis? What type of pacer do you have? At what rate/why is set to go off? Does your Cardiologist know about your Racing/Training schedule? May be time for a heart rate monitor if you don't already use one. Pacers are very common and quite good. Do not be afraid....