WNC Native

Microdiscectomy- Returning to a hardtail out of the question??

My wife just had microdiscectomy about 2 weeks ago. She had a herniated disc between L5 & S1 that was pinching nerves and causing her several issues.
    She had just switched from a FS back to HT and was really loving the switch. I know everyone is different, but has anyone gone through this surgery and returned to a HT. We are going to ask the surgeon his opinion, but he isn't a biker either.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member

sure can

I've had 3 disks and a vertebra removed, and I still ride a hardtail. That is, when I'm not riding my FS.
    Tequila is a pallid flame that passes through walls and soars over tile roofs to allay despair. A. Mutis

U sayin' Bolt ?
    I say no way, its not worth the risk. The disc is already beat up from the injury and the surgery, the more you beat it up the worse it will be down the road. Once it goes degenerative it doesn't heal and riding on a stationary can even be too much.

WNC Native
    Actually we went with a great compromise. She is now on a Fat Bike and is loving it! You still get all the pros of a HT, but with a lot smoother ride.
    Plus it is way more stable, which is giving her more confidence to ride everything she was riding before the injury.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Good to know!
    Sorry to come outta the blue with a response months after the fact but it is coincidence that I am just now going through issues years after microdiscectomy, just had to warn against being too exuberant.

Best wishes and good hopes for you and your lady!