worse mid-pedal stroke. I am up for an MRI next month, but no amount
    of heat\ice\liniment\NSAID\weight training has helped. Could I have
    some loose cartilege? For several years now, bicycling has been
    my only savior and now this!
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I got knee pain too but

but not from a torn ACL, just 60% of my medial meniscus removed 16 years ago in my right knee and now arthritis. I get little bits of cartilage breaking off from time to time and the aggravation ranges from POPPING POPPING, alarmingly so, to--the piece wedges itself just so that the pain almost makes me fall down. Here's what I find helps for both situations:

I hold my leg out in front of me and flex my lower leg down and up ten times, then out to the right (ten times flexing) out to the back (ten times) then up to the inside (ten times). I have to do this privately because it looks like I've lost my mind but...and this is a big but...it works. It seems to dislodge the offending chunk and it goes somewhere else. Try it (in private) but we all know our injuries are specific to ourselves and I'm not diagnosing you, just me. Good luck.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I can't believe what you're saying, this is exactly what I thought was happening, with the loose pieces wedging behind my tendons and causing a wide range of pain symptoms. Thanks for the advice, the PT also has me doing leg curls, says like many cyclists, my quads are more developed than my hamstrings. I've made up my mind to ride in spite of the pain and hope that my upcoming MRI and arthroscopy help the situation. The hell if I'm going to give up without a struggle!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I tore my acl falling off a ladder two years ago so I decided to start bicycling again. I did not have any reconstruction and thank goodness, I dont have any pain or instability issues because of missing acl. But, I get tendonitis or pain on the front of leg just below knee cap when I use clip-ons (candy C). I have rather large feet, size 13+, so I think its some kind of misfit between seat position, height of seat, and pedals. Right now I am back to using standard pedals and knee pain goes away. Any ideas? Thanks,