Broken Clyde.

MCL Sprain/strain

I just hurt my knee last Monday, and want to know what I can do to speed the recovery process. I still gently ride my commuter bike around town as my knee only hurts upon extension. I am taking Glucosamine and wearing a soft brace, but are there any stretches or anything else I can do?
    [size=3]Mountain Biking = Freedom[/size]

mtbr member
    Most MCL strains or sprains recover well without surgery, unless the knee injury was so severe as to cause associated ACL tears. The latter would be more evident as a "pop" in the knee with a deceleration injury, or severe twisting of the knee with a planted foot, etc. And the knee is usually not stable, and is usually too painful to bear weight, or "gives way".

Treatment of most isolated MCL ligament tears is just what you're doing....graduated cycling, and PRICE (prevention of reinjury/brace; rest; ice; compression; elevation). Later in the rehab process, ice still is good for recurrent swelling or pain. NSAID's (ibuprofen) help if tolerated. Using an ACE wrap when not wearing the brace can help as well.

Quadracept and hamstring excercises are beneficial to not allow disuse atrophy, etc. These can be done thru a graduated, structered physical therapy program, or thru progressive exercises at home. A good reference is here:

http://www.ubsportsmed.buffalo.edu/e.../medcoll3.html

Hope this is helpful, although its just "web advice" But I've been there before!

Broken Clyde.
    im getting better, I can almost lock it out again, been riding around town daily w/o a problem, but walking is still a pain. I have been using a rubber band to exersize/strech it.
    [size=3]Mountain Biking = Freedom[/size]