mtbr member

lower quad/knee pain.

I have been having bad pain on the lower inside of my quads. It only happens after a few miles. Even if I dont have pain while im riding i will often have cramps that feel like they are pulling the entire length of my quad. does anyone have anything similar? any idea on how I can counter this?
    count your blessings

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wizzer16 View Post
    I have been having bad pain on the lower inside of my quads. It only happens after a few miles. Even if I dont have pain while im riding i will often have cramps that feel like they are pulling the entire length of my quad. does anyone have anything similar? any idea on how I can counter this?
    Quads, like the bane implies, are made up of 4 muscles. Sounds like you are referring to the vastus medialis. Look up exercises to strengthen the vastus lateralis....that might help, but really, its' best, if the pain persists, it's best to seek a diagnosis from a cycling-savvy sport medicine doc. Small adjustments can also make a BIG difference.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    I had a similar problem after traveling a lot with my road bike and screwing up my seat height. I rode with a lowered seat for about a month before a riding friend noticed it. I had quad tendonitis for about 6 months. Quad strengthening as well as stretching are key to combating anterior knee pain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    You can also try seeing a physical therapist who can evaluate you to see if you have any muscle imbalances and make sure it is nothing else. They will give you a personalized exercise and stretching program that will help. They may also do some manual therapy to help get your tissues to loosen up.