mtbr member

Looking for suggestions for recouperating my palm after mycast comes off?

I'm a little gimpy from falling on pavement - I put my hand down to brace myself when I clearly shouldn't of. Result was a fractured palm of my hand that required a wrist cast. The shockwave from impact actually caused another very minor facture in my elbow, but that was best left out of a cast. The wrist case is coming off next week, and its feeling ready to go. They actually offered me a wrist brace instead after 15 days, and I said to do whatever was going to heal me best, so they gave me 3 more weeks in the cast...it better have been worth it. I have asked for therapy, and previous exerience with this doc office leaves me a little wary of how much attention I'll get, so I'm checking with the community here for any imput. Its actually a top notch hand/extremeties clinic, but I've learned that you ultimately need to be your own doc at the same time.

If you want the story behind the fall, I just posted it to the thread for "lamest bike injury ever", where it clearly belonged.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...75374#poststop

For the purposes of this thread I was doing a 720 over a roadgap...and didn't clear the road.

-kcavt
    Attached Images Attached Images

Double-metric mtb man
    I'd say start with the PT and go from there. Be very clear about the fact you ride and that hlding on to the handlebars is important to you to prevent another cast. I'd suspect that you'll need to rebuild your grip strength and forearm/wrist a bit. I'd say one of those grip squeeze things and some weights for wrist curls would be a good idea, but double check with the PT.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Thanks. I'll make sure they understand my end goals with the PT. You're right that unless then understand its for MTB they'll underestimate what I need. It'll probably take longer than I want to admit, but I've got to do it right. I didn't with my last wrist injury 2 yeras ago, and I paid for it. I'm no longer naive.

Thanks,
    -kcavt