mtbr member

Long term Effects of AC Seperation?

Hey since shoulder seperation seems so common here I figured I'd ask about you guys that have had seperations over a year ago.

I had a class 2 seperation a little over a year ago. I have no pain or loss of motion but my left shoulder pops and rolls like crazy and my left arm hangs limp compared to my right. My main concery is my upper body is getting weak. I haven't been on the bike for 9 months (unrelated hip injury I just got cleared to start up again slowly) so that's no help either.

I have exercises for the arm but does anyone have any pectoral exercises that don't include putting a lot of weight on that AC area? Anyone else still suffering some effects from an AC seperation over a year old?

Brandon
    There's always money in the banana stand.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I separated my shoulder in college (jeez I'm old) like 10 years ago and even after PT and stuff, it has never been the same. I used to be a swimmer, but it clicks every time I take a stroke, so I can't swim distance like I used to.

Every day stuff is fine. No pain, no loss of motion. But I get the pop... and that can't be good.

Sorry, no help here.

mtbr member
    I had a grade III separation in 1995. (I had surgery done on it). Overall, my shoulder is fine unless I really crank on it. It sounds like you're lacking stabilization in the entire shoulder joint. It may be worth going back to PT to get some exercises to focus on that.

That said, with your question about the pec exercises... What you really want to avoid is bringing your elbow back behind your body. If you do a chest press, only come back as far as your body, not past. That will reduce the strain on the AC. The same concept applies with pec flys, but flys will strain the AC more than a press will. You also need to be careful with overhead presses. If you do them, make sure your arms stay in front of the plane of your ear (don't raise up and back).

If you resume chest presses, I'd suggest starting on a Nataulis type machine. It will be safer and happier for your shoulder. Also start with a light weight.

Hope that helps,

Marcia (a Physical Therapist)

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Chest press (bench press)

Hey,
    I have separated both my shoulders combined at least 5 times (play rugby). Since finding a good trainer and an even better physio, I have yet to re-injure either.
    For chest exercises, I now do my bench press lying on the ground at the squat machines. What this does is limit the range of motion and only allows your arms to move to the point where they are flush with the ground.
    Once my shoulders are feeling strong (lots of isometrics), then I can start working on dumbbell press which require a greater range of motion.
    Good luck,
    Eric

conjoinicorned
    here are some good ones (use weight as feels good)
    http://www.athleticadvisor.com/image...%20Program.pdf

the most important is major strengthening the little supporting muscles before you go crazy on the big muscles (ie. delts/chest). i find bench press is easier on the shoulder than dumbell flys, as i can use the "good" shoulder to take some stress.

i have had grade 3 in left shoulder (got operation) and grade 2 on the right (no operation)

neither shoulder will ever be the same...honestly. i hit the gym very hard, lots of physio even years after injury. lots of clicking/popping....but i can ride DH again. the right shoulder occasionally subluxes (minor dislocation)....without surgery you might "expect" that it could happen at any time. watch for extending the arm during a fall....
    what would rainbow unicorn do?