Dab Master

A long, hard 6 months

I took "the big one" last November and tore all 4 tendons of my Rotator Cuff off the bone in my right shoulder. Being a Freerider and as I look back - it was really not a matter of "if" BUT "when" a big crash that would take me out would happen. Of course progression comes with risk and that was something I never really minded - unfortunately I need to re-assess whats what now

After 5 hours of surgery, 9 anchors in my bones, keeping my arm immobile in a pillowed arm sling for 2+ months, a ton of atrophy, 4 months of painfull PT working on ROM and strengthening....I FINALLY TOOK MY FIRST RIDE ON DIRT THIS PAST FRIDAY and again YESTERDAY!!! And it felt fantastic! I still have a lot of work to go with strengthening all areas of the shoulder muscles but there is definitely a light at the end of the tunnel.

For those who are down and out - keep your chin up - occupy yourself with something other than riding and the time does go by. I'd be lying if I said it goes by fast because it doesn't but it definitely goes by and you will eventually be laying down tracks in the dirt soon.

Right now its all about getting back to my XC roots but hopefully some day in the future I'll be throwing down again (without my wife's knowledge of course ):

healing....

boing
    Jan 2010
    Congrats! Somebody had to say it so I stepped-up. And what's happening in that drop pic? It looks like the guy standing up there kicked you in the ass as you prepared to launch!
    Increase The Stoke!

Rider down under
    Agree with Fanatik-j. Great story and pics for us busted folk to think about. Cheers.

Dab Master
    Thanks fellas! In a sick way - I'm enjoying kicking my own ass as I get back into shape
    healing....

what...?
    Wow...was wondering where you'd been. Keep up the good work on the recovery, I can relate. Blew out 3 discs last summer at Sprain and it took 5 months of PT. The pain killers helped pass alot of the time too, haha!!

Hope to see you back on the bus soon!
    jeff

Without love in a dream it will never come true

Members who have read this thread: 0