Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Update (2 years after dvt) same same, warfarin for life and riding about 100-150
    Miles a week. I figure life is too short to just give up riding or whatever, doc has
    Been supportive and so has wife. I am routinely riding tough trails and commuting to work as well.
    I test my INR at home which is extremely helpful becuz I can test once a week which, for me, leads to more stable inr's. I take some pretty good falls including a recent tubeless blowout. Bruise a bit more and bleed a little longer but other than that..... Vaya con Dios.
    Peace be with you.

mtbr member
    Been riding on anticoagulants for 6+ years now.
    Maintaining a stable INR in therapeutic range hasn't been too much of a hassle.
    I ride a lot of DH.
    A big crash was inevitable and it finally happened.
    20+ mph in the air over a rock garden and clipped a pedal on a rock just after the front wheel touched down.
    Cracked ribs, banged head, impact to shoulder that would likley have separated it if it hadn't already had a grade 3 separation.
    INR was 2.7 the day of the crash according to the home monitor.
    Didn't wake up dead the next day.
    In a way the crash was a good thing. I don't feel quite as fragile. Maybe I got lucky, but maybe riding aggressively with an INR in the 2.5-3 range isn't as dangerous as some docs make it out to be.
    Who knows?

mtbr member
    @11053,
    Ridiculous man! That is crazy, but awesome! I agree with the INR thing. Of course everyone's different and there could be a whole plethora of factors but INR's between 2.5 and 3.5 aren't too dangerous in my mind. Most mountain bikers are in some sort of shape and that has a lot to do with it. The vast majority of folks on warfarin are not in riding shape and many are well over 65-70 years of age. Doctors base their logic and information they provide on statistics and limited experience through their own practice. Just my opinion and I don't know what the hell I'm talking about most of the time anyways. Crazy story but cool, it's motivating me to leave work early and go banzai.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2