mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Lightweight walking boot for a permanently messed up ankle

I have a buddy at my gym who fokked up his ankle years ago. He said "bike accident" and I didn't ask any more. It never healed and after numerous surgeries is what it is. His foot is fine. He wears this funky looking brace that supports from his calf down to his foot. Sort of.

Today I'm looking at the angle of his foot compared to the angle of his lower leg and thought, isn't there some sort of walking boot-lite that could attach to his lower leg leaving his knee bendable but actually went down under his foot so when he walked his foot wasn't weight bearing or maybe he could dial in how much pressure his foot would take.

He's said over and over the last thing he wants is to amputate his foot. Does anyone here know of such a device? I'm gonna start googling this for an answer. He hadn't thought about it in these terms and is just trudging along with what he's got.
    Last edited by xcguy; 03-22-2012 at 01:27 PM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Here's what I've found so far: the typical high top walker, the kind you see on folks coming back from a broken foot. And "ankle stirrups" which is what he's got. I haven't found something that secures around his calf and completely lifts his foot off the ground with a shoe bottom underneath. Maybe they're not made.

I also read that totally making the ankle immobile is only good for awhile, then it begins to tighten up. Like, ankle immobilization is just a temporary thing at best. But he's not coming back from how messed up his ankle is.

BTW, my ankles are fine. Just trying to help this guy maybe see dealing with his condition in a different way.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I don't know what those devices you show are but my dads ankle is gone. He wares's something that is crafted from leather and laces tightly around his lower leg and down onto his foot. He puts a shoe on over this. It supports his ankle. Its not an ankle but its all they can do short of fusing his ankle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bw_young View Post
    I don't know what those devices you show are but my dads ankle is gone. He wears something that is crafted from leather and laces tightly around his lower leg and down onto his foot. He puts a shoe on over this. It supports his ankle. Its not an ankle but its all they can do short of fusing his ankle.
    That's what this guy has. It's just that his body weight is causing his lower leg to kind of shift over from his foot. It's a bizarre angle when you really look at it. He can walk short distances. I'm just thinking there's some device that can actually shift some of his weight down to a "platform" under his foot that actually takes the weight off his ankle/foot and shifts it mainly to his lower leg. But not something huge like those big black walking boots.

At first I thought he had a prosthesis for a lower leg. That's what he's trying to avoid.

Swedetarded
    This might be too different for your buddy's situation.........

I had some jacked up knees and ankles from playing football and racing BMX as a kid. Right ankle, right knee, left knee have been operated on. For 15 years, I always went the high-top, hiking boot, wrap, something to support route when playing any sport. Only to get injured and be "down" for another damn month.

In the last year, I have worked on stability (for putting power to the pedals). I started doing all my leg work barefoot. Squats, split squats, deadlifts, lunges, EVERYTHING in the gym with my legs has been done barefoot. My joint stability has improved greatly. I will say this, IT WAS NOT EASY, it was downright painful at times....training these muscles that your shoes provide the stability in place of. I no longer wear supports, high top shoes, etc..when playing sports. Movements that would bother my joints don't do so anymore. I have honestly been amazed. Playing floor sports are no longer a scary thing to do for me.

I'm a believer in this method as a joint injury recovery or joint injury prevention tool. I refuse to use any machines in the gym that provide a "path" or don't let me stabilize the weight on my own. I wonder if I would have gotten the injuries if I had started doing this as a freshman in high school.

Again, this might be completely irrelevant for your buddy. Just letting you know that there might be an option that hasn't been explored.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I never did find exactly what I was looking for but I did see the guy in my gym yesterday. Turns out the "ankle stirrup" he has on is made by Arizona Brace:

Product Line - Default

He said he's thinking of just getting a rod drilled up through his heel into his lower leg and fuse the whole dam area.

He's past being PO'd about his condition and just wants to make do with what he's got. At least he's in the gym lifting every other day.