achiever

Light headedness after crash

Crashed a good one today: wedged my front wheel in between 2 big slab rocks and went over the bars. Landed pretty hard but don't think I hit my head. The dudes I was riding with seemed pretty concerned. Here's the problem and this isn't the first time this has happened and actually seems to happen easier than it used to. After the crash, I dust off and collect myself, I know nothing is broken but after a minute or so, maybe less, I begin to lose my hearing then my vision starts to go as if I'm going to pass out. I've yet to completely lose consciousness but know I'm close.

These episodes started last year after a mild concussion. I've crashed hard skateboarding three times in the past year (but not hit my head) and had the same thing happen. I've been thinking about head injuries from my past and I have a bunch. I got hit in the forehead with a rock in 3rd grade, smashed hard with a baseball that broke my glasses and whacked my head at least 3 times on ice snowboarding in my teens resulting in massive headaches. I got a concussion last year when I hit a tree riding (I had a helmet on) When I came to from that my bike was upside down on the seat and bars in the middle of the trail, wheels still and I had lost 10 - 15 minutes judging from my lateness to my destination.

So, what the hell have I done to myself? Is it possible that these last episodes of graying out could be due to "shock" from hard slams or does it sound like head injury stuff? I guess I really should see a doctor but unfortunately they'll likely they'll try to puch some junk from big pharma on me rather than do those "expensive" tests the insurance whores don't want to pay for.

Red

banned
    Sep 2005
    You don't need to hit your head to cause a concussion or concussion symptoms. Just the snapping motion of hitting the ground can cause concussion symptoms as well. If you've had a concussion before (if I read your history correctly you've had 2 known concussions) you may be experiencing post-concussion syndrome.

It may be prudent to visit a good neurologist and have him check you out. It's impossible to discuss treatment options without a comprehensive exam.

mtbr member

Post Concussion Syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by redwarrior
    Crashed a good one today: wedged my front wheel in between 2 big slab rocks and went over the bars. Landed pretty hard but don't think I hit my head. The dudes I was riding with seemed pretty concerned. Here's the problem and this isn't the first time this has happened and actually seems to happen easier than it used to. After the crash, I dust off and collect myself, I know nothing is broken but after a minute or so, maybe less, I begin to lose my hearing then my vision starts to go as if I'm going to pass out. I've yet to completely lose consciousness but know I'm close.

These episodes started last year after a mild concussion. I've crashed hard skateboarding three times in the past year (but not hit my head) and had the same thing happen. I've been thinking about head injuries from my past and I have a bunch. I got hit in the forehead with a rock in 3rd grade, smashed hard with a baseball that broke my glasses and whacked my head at least 3 times on ice snowboarding in my teens resulting in massive headaches. I got a concussion last year when I hit a tree riding (I had a helmet on) When I came to from that my bike was upside down on the seat and bars in the middle of the trail, wheels still and I had lost 10 - 15 minutes judging from my lateness to my destination.

So, what the hell have I done to myself? Is it possible that these last episodes of graying out could be due to "shock" from hard slams or does it sound like head injury stuff? I guess I really should see a doctor but unfortunately they'll likely they'll try to puch some junk from big pharma on me rather than do those "expensive" tests the insurance whores don't want to pay for.

Red
    I think that you have a near classic case of Post Concussion Syndrome. Your recent presentation along with the history of previous concussions are alarming. Typically, once you have a concussive injury you are more prone to having them in the future and at a more severe intensity. I am an ortho PT, not a neuro, but I have enough experience in this area and working with our teams to know that you would be better getting assessed.
    Look on line and see if you have an MD that has the imPACT system. http://www.impacttest.com/
    Essentially, they will have you perform a computer test to assess your cognitive level. If possible, we like to do a preseason pre test to get a baseline for your individual status and then compare future testing to that baseline. There is enough comparative data out there to be able to guide you as to your post concussion level even if you donnot have a pretest baseline.

If you can do anything at all, let your brain heal. It is like any other muscle. It has a metabolism that needs rest and recuperation. Sometimes when athletes have significant concussive events we will send them home and they are not to attend school, read, or even watch tv because it taxes the brain. When they are that bad, we want them to rest as much as possible to allow the brain to heal.
    Keepin mind that even if you just let it pass until you feel a bit better, your brain is the center for all of your motor control and balance. If you are riding on a fried brain, your reaction time is poor and you tend to not make the best decisions. Wearing a helmet is a must.

Bottom line, get your had checked out before you have anything worse going on.
    BoiseBoy

achiever
    Thanks for the resonses, guys.

I guess I need to start the process, go see my PCP and get the ball rolling.

Thanks again,

Red

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Red:

Go see a doctor immediately! If you tell him your history, he will not give you drugs - he will immediately order an X-ray. And you need it. If he can't find any obvious skeletal damage he will probably request an MRI for soft tissue inspection. The symptoms you describe are nowhere near normal and could be ultimately life-threatening.

achiever
    Thanks for the advice, OldHorse. I'll be making an appointment ASAP.