mtbr member

Legs strong but lungs lagging after climbs?

Any suggestions for specifically targeting the lungs for increased capacity and quicker recovery to normal breathing?. At 48, my legs are way ahead of my lungs on steep climbs mainly. Same thing when I play ultimate frisbee(a lot of sprinting like soccer). I climb faster and run faster than many of my younger friends but am seriously huffing and puffing after those max outputs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

PowerLung

Go to Powerlung.com. read their info and possibly get one of their products. You could probably buy the blue to start.

If you private message me, I will give you my number and I would talk of diet and supplements to improve lung function as one grows older.

I live a Mile High and have experienced the problem.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I am not in any way medically trained. I therefore have more questions than answers.

You sound like a pretty active and fit guy from your description. You may just need aerobic training as you are asking about.

I don't feel that you are _necessarily_ going to train out of this, and caution is advised.

But if this was happening to me, I would ask some questions:
    - how's your blood pressure?
    - when you get to the top, heaving and gasping, can you still take that last more moderate slope and recover, to ride on?
    - has this happened suddenly, or has it just crept up on you
    - or is it just a general complaint about your being PO'd about huffing.
    - who are you competing against?
    - I go for rides and _thrash_ younger (like minus 25 years) guys up a hill, but when we get to the top, I will say "Well you might at least puff!" ...the guy is young and super fit but not at biking. My bike _muscles_ thrash him, but ....I am old :-<
    - have you had a break in your normal level of activity and are now "back in the game"
    - you get unfit awful quick. This can be muscular or aerobic.
    - have you had any other symptoms, such as chest pain, dizziness etc
    - are you taking any drugs (including alcohol and tobacco) or medication that you were not before.
    - have you changed your diet or gained (or lost) significant weight lately (significant would be 4-5%, I reckon)
    - do you have a family history of _any_ sort of trouble at middle age.

Basically are there other signs of trouble, or changed circumstances, that could cause this or indicate danger signs?

Or have you suddenly altered your exercise level or duration in the recent past? This could be good. You have had a rest and are now simply demanding too much.

Everybody says you should consult health pros before embarking on a course of fitness training, especially if you are older or have seen other problems. Many people don't (blush) and get away with it (yay ...so far ).

But if you have been super-fit and have noticed a rapid (months) change, then you may need a checkup...IF you are not suddenly demanding more of yourself in that same period..

Heart / lung / diabetes etc.

So I am not offering a solution, but questions and caution.

Nick

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    The straight answer is to do intervals at heart rate which is slightly over your lactate threshold which should help VO2 max, but as OldNick pointed out you need to be careful before committing to any serious training.

mtbr member
    Train you're lungs, take the pain head on and soon it will go away.
    "A Fifth of Yager, a four pack or Red Bull, and a full suspension mountain bike, now thats quite a combo."

11 is one louder than 10
    One other thing to check.

Just make sure you are getting routine physicals, and that they are taking a close listen to your heart for a murmur. Unlikely, but that is also a symptom of someone perfectly healthy but that has a mitral valve that isn't quite working up to snuff.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Do you spin up the climb or do you power up the climb? You gotta watch your cadence.

mtbr member

Good input everyone, by the way

I almost NEVER use the very lowest sprocket(gear) in back. I don't think I'm a spinner. I prefer the traction and positional predictability on the pedals I get from turning the cranks a tad slower especially on looser or technical stuff where I want momentum to clean something. Other riders of my ability usually are in the next sprocket easier on hills. During a complete physical they had me exhale as hard as I could and the first time around it was rated as something like "mild restriction" , then I asked to try again and it came up "normal". Appreciate all the feedback, good stuff.

mtbr member
    Dont know if this is recomended by professional trainers or not, but i train myself to work at lower oxygen levels while running by skip breathing. Basically i go running, and breathe in and hold it for about 3 seconds, then release slowly. i started doing this Because im a firefighter and we do this while working inside a fire to conserve our airpacks so we dont run out of air 10 minitues into a building, and you use all the oxygen to its max potential.

so i started doing it while running to get used to it,so when i ride/race and take as many breaths as i want i feel like i have tons of air.

Swimming is probally a better bet though, i just hate it.