mtbr member

Left Side Upper Member All F$#%&ed

Yesterday while ridding a singletrack (DH) full of roots, rocks and holes and doing it so fast, had an accident!

I think my front wheel didn't overlap a root or hole, and I was projected...
    As I was about to land, I stretch my arms to save from bad injuries, but as I hit the floor with my chest I knew that something was wrong.

As I stopped and because off impact and I was in panic ( I think! It was really a big fall) had some difficulty to breathe and move.
    Being in the ground for a while...and stayed like that so that I would`t passed out.
    After a long time,I was able to lift myself with the help of my friend and walk to the nearest road.
    My left clavicle was splice in 2.... broken radius (fracture), wrist... and multiple excoriation in all members ( was wearing only knee protection... ).

Now, since I can`t sleep ( it*s 4:30 am) I am here to share this completely stupid accident

PS: People with broken clavicle (mine is almost in half and it was a bit side by side (+/-) 0,5 INCh, could you please tell me how long will it take to go back, and if everything goes ok, will i have 100% recovery - full movement?

I know foruns aren`t the best diagnostic, but would like to know.
    monday will be at the doctor and will see if surgery will make i better.
    Physiotherapy... after the bones get "glued"... and hope everything is ok!

but for now,,, rest,..rest...rest... and being lay down.

would like your experinces and if there was complications

PS2 : hey xcguy, drugs for pain+baby at home+pain+lack of sleep... i think you get the picture! but yes it was very confusing. still is, but i think it`s better
    Last edited by Tkul; 06-09-2008 at 04:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Sorry about your crash

It happens quick, doesn't it? Do a search on this forum about "broken collarbone" or "broken clavicle" and you'll find a lot of threads relating to that. I wish I spoke Portuguese as well as you speak English but your post in English is a little tough to read. Can you get one of your friends who is real fluent in English to maybe clean it up a little? Just trying to help.

Like these:

i broke my clavicle
    Broken Collar Bone - Video and Treatment Recommendation
    Collarbone-3 months and not healed
    Who has had a injury that has taken away....

Good luck.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Hey Tkul

Let us know how you're doing.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    hi!

6 days have passed, and went to the doctor yesterday.
    he told me to wait 3 weeks, since the 2 bones are almost aligned, and if everything continues like these past days (lots of rest... laying down... etc...) we would see good news in the next x-ray (20th June)

i agreed with him, after earing all the pros and cons for a surgical alignment.

for the radius, rest... rest...rest... and no work/stress
    them, next week he ask me to try stretching my arm slowly.
    It will hurt a bit, but recovery of full movement will take less time.

In the next 3 weeks will see how things progress, and if everything goes ok, hope to start ridding (XC) in 7 weeks.

I`ve already said goodbye to my Avalanche (DH Marathon.....)
    maybe next year, if my wife and daughter let me participate

mtbr member
    dont say goodbye just yet! maybe just take it a bit easier! Sounds like you took quite the fall.

If you are persistant on leaving downhill, let me know what you want for your bike! I might be interested. I took a fall doing downhill on my 29er and im ready to buy one! (im sick)
    06 Kona Stinky Deluxe
    08 Gary Fisher X-Cal
    01 Jeep Cherokee Sport, locked, lifted, and loaded

mtbr member
    I live in Portugal... I think there might be better deals there.

PS: I only said goodbye to this year Avalanche...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Tkul ,my wife crashed about same way as you ,over bars landed on shoulder ,broken collarbone .3/4 inch overlapping of bones 1/2 inch gap between them.Dr.s said it'll heal no need for surgery.6 weeks later hadn't even began to heal.now they say it has to have surgery,pins & plate.she had surgery a little over month ago says it feels really weird where plate is .its like its numb on the skin but it still hurts. they told her 8 weeks to heal back.taking plates out is optional if she's willing to go thru surgery again.she didn't do well with anestesia.if it heals on its own you are much better off.her riding this year is pretty much shot.best of luck on healing up Butch

mtbr member
    Thanks!

Hope your wife get`s well soon... and 100%!

Two of mt friends also have metal plates when they broke the clavicle...
    1 still has then (broke in 3 parts!).

been resting... and medicament's also give me to sleep! I really don`t take any medicaments and avoid them when ever I can. So taking this pain killers... are like mega-drugs! Sleep between 14/15 hours!
    since i lay on my back, without any force, i hope this will do.

bye, and thanks!

rapid recovery

mtbr member
    Tkul,
    How you doing since the accident? Just wondering as I was reading old posts...