mtbr member
    May 2007

landed on my back and then rolled down the hill...

well, I guess it finally happened. My bravery was actually stupidity! I usually take it easy on this certain downhill that has a quick ledge that makes for great air while continuing down the hill....well, I was moving much more quickly than I usually take it and crouched down and as soon as I approached the ledge, I pulled the biggest bunny hop I have ever done in my life, but my only mistake was coming up too hard on the handlebars and the bike was pretty much at a 90 degree angle on the landing, causing the rear tire to take the full hit and shoot out from underneath me and I landed straight down on my back! To give you an idea of how hard I hit, the bladder in my camel bak actually busted at the seams! luckily I had my helmet on tight too! well, after the hard hit, and the momentum I rolled down the hill a little more and it hurt so bad to move!

my lower back is all black and blue, my arms are completely rashed!

at this point, I think I just bruised my lower back, because it still hurts to turn or walking around, so I'm just bengay'ing it and got neosporin all over my arms....I'm gonna give it a couple days and if it still hurts I guess I'll visit the doc.

so the morale of the story....think before you leap!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Dont screw with potential back injuries. My wife had a similar type of injury (was doing one of those courses in the woods) and fell ~12 feet onto rocks. Never got it looked at, has bad back spasms and poor disc alignment now, caused by that fall.

coming from someone with three compressed discs in his back and two in his neck, get it checked out sooner than later, just in case. IT will be cheaper to get it fixed now than to deal with a chiropractor and constant xrays, mri's, etc, later on.

Glad you're not MORE hurt, though, and wish you a speedy recovery.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Have you had this looked at?

What did the doc say? And if you reply that no doctor has checked you out...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    my bad guys!

here's the followup, my doc basically said didn't look like there was any major damage except for some bruising of my lower back muscle, basically told me to use a heat pack on it, and maybe take a hot soak in the tub or jacuzzi, and gave me a prescription to some 800mg ibprofen....other than that it's tight back there, but I took a ride the other day and it wasnt too bad, a little stiff...so it mightve been too soon, so I am just gonna wait till all the bruising is gone and my back is a little more relaxed and less tight....

he did say that I am lucky I was wearing my camelbak because after telling him how it busted, he said it absorbed alot of the initial blow and probably saved my back from some severe injury.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Look online for some lower back stretches, they help a lot and tight muscles can cause damage over time... plus the more limber you are, the less likely for injury/reinjury...

limber is something I've never been, maybe thats why I hurt myself so often.