Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Lamest Biking Injury Ever

i had just come back from a pretty decent ride and pulled into my driveway. went up to my roof rack to get the bike down and on the way up SLAMMED my right hand into the frame of the rear window of the car. at this point i did what i've seen everyone in sports do, i dropped to the ground and started crying like a baby. one of the most painful things ever. i regained my composure after 10 minutes or so and went inside for some comfort from my wife. we put ice on it thinking it was just really bruised and went about our day (but jesus did it hurt). i never really thought it was broken because i could still move my fingers, but i did notice my grip was really weak. that was on a saturday. as the week wore on the pain subsided, the swelling went down (slightly), but i could still sense something was wrong. a few days ago i wanted to go for a ride and tried to test my grip on my bike. the result was searing pain. finally went to the doc this past friday for xrays. today i got the call that the results are in and yes indeed i fractured my hand. i go to get it set and patched up on wednesday, but i guess my season is over now , or at least the warm weather riding...

its ironic that i throw myself down a mountain regularly, encounter bears, snakes, stupid people, huge rocks etc. and have never been seriously hurt other than a couple of chipped teeth, scrapes, bruises and the occasional stitch, but getting the bike off the roof of my car results in a fractured hand. it reminds me of these baseball players that go on the dl because of an injury sustained while taking out the garbage. oh well, guess there's nothing to do but laugh at it. anyone else have any stupid bike related (kind of) injuries to help cheer me up?

mtbr member
    My bro's bike has a crappy set of V brakes, so when he took his mates hydrolic disk brake equipped bike for a spin around the car park, he didnt expect the to come to a sudden stop and smacked his nuts on the head stem.

steve

Humpmaster general
    Quote Originally Posted by TrekFan
    i had just come back from a pretty decent ride and pulled into my driveway. went up to my roof rack to get the bike down and on the way up SLAMMED my right hand into the frame of the rear window of the car. at this point i did what i've seen everyone in sports do, i dropped to the ground and started crying like a baby. one of the most painful things ever. i regained my composure after 10 minutes or so and went inside for some comfort from my wife. we put ice on it thinking it was just really bruised and went about our day (but jesus did it hurt). i never really thought it was broken because i could still move my fingers, but i did notice my grip was really weak. that was on a saturday. as the week wore on the pain subsided, the swelling went down (slightly), but i could still sense something was wrong. a few days ago i wanted to go for a ride and tried to test my grip on my bike. the result was searing pain. finally went to the doc this past friday for xrays. today i got the call that the results are in and yes indeed i fractured my hand. i go to get it set and patched up on wednesday, but i guess my season is over now , or at least the warm weather riding...

its ironic that i throw myself down a mountain regularly, encounter bears, snakes, stupid people, huge rocks etc. and have never been seriously hurt other than a couple of chipped teeth, scrapes, bruises and the occasional stitch, but getting the bike off the roof of my car results in a fractured hand. it reminds me of these baseball players that go on the dl because of an injury sustained while taking out the garbage. oh well, guess there's nothing to do but laugh at it. anyone else have any stupid bike related (kind of) injuries to help cheer me up?

A couple of years ago I was riding my bike in front of my house without a seat and post. I decided I would try to stop the bike by putting my a$$ on the rear wheel.

The rear wheel grabbed a hold of my shorts and sucked them into the seatstays along with my a$$ and nuts.

The bike came to a skidding stop!
    your moma's so ugly, one time she looked out of the window and got arrested for mooning

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hass
    The rear wheel grabbed a hold of my shorts and sucked them into the seatstays along with my a$$ and nuts.
    Bwahahahaha!!!!

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    the lamo mounting brackets that come w/ certain models of specialized cycling computers have sharp edges--prone to cause lamo injuries. spec's product managers/purchasers would do well to come up w/ a less lame manufacturer so its consumers would suffer less lamo injuries at its hands.

Hairy man
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hass
    A couple of years ago I was riding my bike in front of my house without a seat and post. I decided I would try to stop the bike by putting my a$$ on the rear wheel.
    You really earned your handle that day.
    We all get it in the end.

It's like butta baby~ !

Almost as stupid

Have you ever banged your head really hard on the end of your bike rack........like really hard. I smacked my head on the end, of course in a crowded parking lot before a race and had an egg size knot on my head......very painful when trying to squeeze my noggin into a helmet.

mtbr member

Get this one.

My friend and I had just finished riding Porcupine rim from town and we had both endo'd pretty hard on the ride, but no significant injuries to speak of. When we were pulling into town into our campspot (one of the ones in town) he takes the corner pretty fast, all of the knobs shred off his front and rear tires and he goes down at about 20, ripping his shorts and giving him road rash from his foot up to his shoulder. I told him it was the let down after completing such a good ride, definitely one I won't forget.

mtbr member
    May 2004

While moving at a whopping 0 mph

I managed to cut my leg. Needed 17 stitches to close.

I was climbing a steep hill and stopped to wait for my friends to catchup. Unclipped my left foot and put it down on a very jagged rock. A portion of the rock crumbled under my foot and all my weight concentrated onto the left side of my calf. Rocks were very sharp and cut me like a knife.
    Attached Images Attached Images

my girl rides also
    Feb 2005

Bonking ... not feelin' well

I was coming around a corner last friday, washed out, and broke my right hand as well.

TrekFan--- how long are you down for? I'm looking at about six weeks or so.....

bummed.
    Last edited by VA2SLOride; 09-27-2005 at 03:23 PM.
    Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

ballbuster

I inverted my foot

I twisted the crap out of my ankle while loading my bike on the roof racks. This was the day after I built it up, and was going to be the maiden ride. It fully swolen and turned black and blue like I have never seen before.

I had really crappy med insurance at the time... like you pay for the first $2000 and then it kicks in. I was unemployed at the time. I sent pix to my bro-in-law who was an emergency room doctor. He said it was prolly fine, just support it, ice it and stay off of it.

I was off for two weeks, and wore an ankle brace for another 3 weeks after that.

Oh, and back when I used a hatchback rack, I used to clobber myself all the time. I got the hatch open (VW GTi) getting my gear out, getting ready for a ride. I got it all, and slam the hatch shut... when the rack hits me on the head. Even with a helmet on, it hurts. Impy got nailed by it too. I stopped using it.

Of course, there was the time when I first got clipless pedals. In the parking lot before the ride, I tipped and scraped the crap out of my knee. It was nearly as bad as any scrape I got on the trail.

otbmbc.com
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtygrl
    Have you ever banged your head really hard on the end of your bike rack........like really hard. I smacked my head on the end, of course in a crowded parking lot before a race and had an egg size knot on my head......very painful when trying to squeeze my noggin into a helmet.
    I have two....

(1)I had my bike on a trunk rack not too long ago. After a ride, I loaded my bike on the rack and went for coffee. I had put my wallet and money in the trunk. Obviously, to get coffee I had to get the money out. I was so tired, I didnt remove the bike, but muscled the trunk open with the bike and rack still on it. I looked in... got the money... backed my head out... LET THE TRUNK FALL - The bike and rack, together, hit me on the face and forehead. Luckily, no major damage. Just scrapes and bumbs.

(2)I was doing wheelies on the sidewalk in front of my house. Pulled hard on the bars - pedaled hard - COULDN'T CLIP-OUT. Fell flat on my back - no camelbak to break the fall. Fractured three vertebrae. Out for 6 weeks. Finally, riding again.

I was thinking the same thing - rocks, boulders, downhills, switchbacks - scrapes and bruises. Sidewalk = Broken Back!

Hairy man
    Quote Originally Posted by SabbathU71
    (1)I had my bike on a trunk rack not too long ago. After a ride, I loaded my bike on the rack and went for coffee. I had put my wallet and money in the trunk. Obviously, to get coffee I had to get the money out. I was so tired, I didnt remove the bike, but muscled the trunk open with the bike and rack still on it. I looked in... got the money... backed my head out... LET THE TRUNK FALL - The bike and rack, together, hit me on the face and forehead. Luckily, no major damage. Just scrapes and bumbs.
    Did pretty much the same thing once. Two bikes on the rack, it knocked me to my knees.

But not as bad as the time I knocked my self unconcious picking up a cat. First thing in the morning one of my hungry cats is bugging me and I bend over to pick it up as I'm walking out of my bedroom. I slammed my head into the doorframe and came too on the floor. Cat was staring a me a foot away. Probably wondering if I was dead and could it eat me.
    We all get it in the end.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TrekFan
    . anyone else have any stupid bike related (kind of) injuries to help cheer me up?
    Turned my head to the left to do a farmers blow with my right hand over my nostril. Lost it on a bump on the otherwise smooth trail. Severe endo - broken crossmax spoke, smacked both ankles with something - handlebar? Skinned knee. Worse was I tore the tendon off the last digit of my pinky finger - ouch.

Worse still, I had to explain to the office mates that I have a splint on my finger because I was blowing my nose while riding my bike and crashed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Mine was lame, public, and painful.

I was getting used to a 24" wheelset on a jump bike, just tooling around on a sidewalk. Coming up to an intersection I started S-turns to cut speed for the traffic light, and the toe of my inside foot caught the cement. Foot was pulled off pedal as I was still pedaling, and it came back around and raked the back of my bare leg (wearing shorts) from back of knee to bottom of heel, yanking off my shoe. I got 3 huge bloody gashes from my pedal pins all down my leg, and I didn't even come off my bike.

Braked to a stop, limped over to get my shoe, and at least 4 carfuls of people were staring at me. Nice. Only 2 miles from home, too. Unable to walk for a day, couldn't wear a shoe or sock on that leg for a week. Interesting scars at least.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VA2SLOride
    I was coming around a corner last friday, washed out, and broke my right hand as well.

bummed.

i will find out in the morning. hope its not too bad, but we went to pick up the xray results today and after sneaking a peek the hair stood up on the back of my neck it looked so horrible. kinda looks like a chicken wishbone after you snapped it...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

car racks

Seeing as everyone else seems to have a bike rack story, thought I would add my two cents. I have a bike rack that attaches to my spare tire and it seems to take out alot of people. The first incident involved my sister in law at my other brothers wedding, just before family photos. She is going into my jeep for her purse and forgets that the bike rack is there, she walks into it face first and gets an L shaped red mark just below her nose that showed up bright red in the photos.
    The next notable incident involved a buddy running from his house to get in the jeep at night, forgets about bike rack and hits it full tilt, rocks the car and drops him to the ground for a few minutes. Damage= 3 V-shaped red marks across his chest. Funny thing about that one is that just before he burst from his door at top speed, I said to my friend riding shotgun that wouldn't it be funny if buck didn't see the bike rack and ran in to it. well as if on cue the jeep shakes and we get out to see buck in the fetal position moaning on the ground.
    Lesson learned here is take your bike rack off between rides ( or don't, mine has carved six notches in the last year alone and I can't wait to see how many people it eats in the next year)

Dirtmistress
    The first time I used clipless pedals back in the 90's, I was going around an uphill switchback somewhere on Tam and fell over, off the switchback onto the lower part of the trail I'd just come round. What a tumble. But I fell into a mud puddle (yee-haaa) and when I sat up and looked at my legs, I'd fallen onto a Banana Slug and it was sliming my inner thigh..oooo how romantic!
    WWXD.
    What would Xena do?
    She'd clean the whole section,you know that!

Glad to Be Alive
    sorry to hear...that is why I don't like roof racks....too tired to put a bike on the roof or take it down
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005

Burger down!

How's this hand story for ya? I was takin' a break from wrenching and was going down to get a burger from a local joint. On the way back to the shop, (both hands full of bags-o-burger,) I was making a right corner onto one of the bridges in town. Some city workers were out watering the flowers. I railed the corner as normal, hit the wet, slick concrete on my Moby Bites. Bike down, busted hand, and burgers/fries everywhere! I got a cast and no lunch!

Cracker-magnon
    Quote Originally Posted by VA2SLOride
    bummed.
    I broke my right hand at work six weeks ago, I am hoping to get cleared by the doc this week, but it will probably only be for light stuff. I have been out of the brace for the most part, but have to wear it like a sport brace for any load bearing stuff. I have only been able to put myself on the trainer twice.

I forgot about it yesterday and shook hands with someone who had a stout grip, man that hurt for a little bit.
    [SIZE=2]"Life is a F@#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.[/SIZE]

I railed it like Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr
    the lamo mounting brackets that come w/ certain models of specialized cycling computers have sharp edges--prone to cause lamo injuries. spec's product managers/purchasers would do well to come up w/ a less lame manufacturer so its consumers would suffer less lamo injuries at its hands.
    totally lame
    I'm UNIQUE... just like everybody else.

Sissy Pants FTW Moderator
    A few years ago in front of our old house I was starting out on a ride. There was a bunch of younger kids on skateboards milling around so I decided to bunny hop off the huge 6" curb to show the kids that I was also an "extreme" athelete. Unfortunately, I had forgotten which bike I had pulled from the rack and was unexpectedly on flat pedals instea of clipless.

To the junior boarders I suppose it looked like I jumped up in the air specifically for the purpose of crashing my nuts down, full on to the top tube. I tried to ride away with as little whimpering as possible until I was safely around the corner.

mtbr member

Back to the trailhead...

...on the last 200 yds of gravel road, I popped my front wheel up to see if I could determine where the suspension click was coming from. Landed the front off center, the wheel went sideways and down I went.

My most stupid crash to date. Of course I had to do it with witnesses present.

Walt

mtbr member
    ouch.

well i'm on the shelf for 4 to 6 weeks. doctor said the good news is that i didnt need surgery or anything like that. bone pretty much set itself and i need the resin cast for 4 to 6 weeks and then i can start light activity after that. this sucks pretty bad, but it could have been worse i guess. by the looks of these stories it seems these damn bike racks are more dangerous than riding!

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast