Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    For some reason I decided to go off this hella lame jump that was closer to a pile of dirt than a jump, and the last thing I remembered was thinking "oh **** im goin too fast." The next thing I know is I'm sitting on the ground with my riding buddies crowding around me asking me if i was okay. Appearently I didn't stop in time and slid sideways up the face of the jump and my wheels hit a log. My bike stopped but i kept going, and I landed on my head and left shoulder. I smashed my helmet, got a concussion and broke my collarbone. I felt like such a dumbass after that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Well, my most embarrassing moment didn't injure anything but my pride. This was about 15 years ago, and it still stings to this day. I stopped in to say hello at a buddy's shop on the crowded Main street of Breckenridge, Co. While leaving the shop, I saddled up, clipped in while on the sidewalk and casually went to roll off the sidewalk, in between two parked cars. Two hotties were standing there and I gave them the "How YOU doin' " nod, just as my front tire slipped sideways on the edge of the damp curb. I endoe'd into the street, head first, and got wedged upside down in between the two cars. Still clipped in, trapped like a turtle on it's back, with dozens of witnesses.

Smooth.

I scrambled to my feet as one of the girls asked if I was OK. I mumbled something about "Merely a flesh wound...", left the remnants of my manhood there in the gutter and scurried away as fast as I could. Priceless.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Airborne

About a year ago, I went biking with someone who was old enough to be my father. I figured I could handle this dude.

I was falling behind my old comrade and was going fast to the bottom of a hill that immediately becomes uphill again after a hard turn. It was like a sand trap at the bottom. My partner sailed right through it like a lightening bolt, so I...being inexperienced...figured it would be a piece of cake.

I got to the sand trap and accidentally hit the front brake instead of the rear brake right when I hit sand. I went airborne over the handle bars and came smashing down on the front side of my left, lower leg. I totally dented the muscle and to this day it's still somewhat dented. The contusion didn't go away for a month.

What my buddy DIDN'T bother to tell me until afterwards...was that he was a former BMX Champion in his younger years....LOL.

Wooo YEAAAH!
    Oct 2006
    I got hot so i took off my shirt. went down a steep hill on an untraveled trail. shirt came loose and got stuck in the spokes. front wheel stopped, i went over handle bars going 15 or so. lots of road rash and re-injured my shoulder.

went to orthopedic surgeon today and told me said shoulder has a fracture on the edge of socket. bone chipped off along with some ligament. going to remove bone and re-attach ligament.

this is causing my shoulder to be unstable. i threw a snowball and my shoulder popped out of the socket. hurt like a sob

Another festivus MIRACLE!

Got a few

1. Bombing down a nice smooth fireroad at a good clip and all of a sudden a wasp flies into my ear and gets stuck. Bzzzzzzzzzz is all I hear as he's trying to get out. I'm scared of bees so what do I do? Scream like an 8yr old girl and do what I've done all my life when a bee lands on me - I swat at it with one hand leaving only one hand on the bars. This results in too much force on one side of the bars and none on the other and the bars turns 90 deg and I going flying OTBs like superman. Wush is what I hear as I land as my breath leaves me and I'm tumbling. Scratched up good and stunned I sat ther mad as hell at one bee.

2. Of course there's the roof rack with my beloved bike on top as I drive into the carport.

BOOM!!!! I hit the brakes and dive for cover thinking the car port just collapsed on me until I noticed for some reason my bike is dangling off the side of my car with my fork snapped in half.

Car scratched up, broken roof rack and broken fork.

3. Of course as a kid JRA in the neighborhood, who's hasn't done the 'I wonder how long I can ride with my eyes closed'. Suddenly I'm doing a superman over the front hood of someone car parked on the street.
    "If an illegal alien is an undocumented immigrant, than a drug dealer is an unlicensed pharmicist."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    tequila enduced endo = trip to ER...1 week on crutches....5 weeks off of bike....plus the right for friends to heckle me for life....need i say more...ugh
    About 2 years ago, my brother and I stayed in a cabin at the Ft. Wilderness campground at Walt Disney World. Since all of the electric carts were rented we decided on a late night bike ride to look at Christmas lights after numerous beers. I lost my balance trying to resume after stopping and tumbled into a log fence. Banged my head (no helmet) and left abdomen and got a nice 3" diameter rash on the right knee. When we got back to the cabin, my brother lost his balance and got a 3" diameter rash on his left knee. Two days later I could still hardly move. An x-ray confirmed a #7 rib fracture. No more drinking and riding for this kid.
    2005 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 2006 Specialized Roubaix, 2007 Specialized FSR XC Pro

Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
    Got too many to tell. So I will go with the worst. I went flying out of a friends driveway, hit some gravel and went down it the decomposed granite. Took the skin off of my knee down to the bone. It was so painful and gross.
    "Don't give up, Never give up!"

Teh Original Dirt Muffin
    Jul 2005
    my friend did this jump on his hard tail and landed on the rear wheel with his a$$. That fellow recived a massive skid and it tore down his pants. You could see his gaping a$$ crack and I'm sure his ballsack got caught up in the stays too because he groaned like a mofo. I also discovered he wore whitey tighty's. Not to be all the way pointing, I broke my arm on a small drop because I was being retarted and decided to hit the brakes on the face of teh drop. Good thing it was just my arm, I will never do that again. I'd rather learn now and bike later.

SuperInstigator
    Oh I hate to admit this. Note: I am not usually a bad rider, and this is an extreme case of stupidity. I was showing off to myself, and I tried to go as close to the stone wall on a switchback as I could, and I caught my pedal on it and came to an undignified stop.

Another time when I was like 8 and strangely involving a stone wall and showing off, the coaster brake in my huffy blew when I was trying to skid (yea I found that cool then) and I went straight into the stone wall which was right in front of me and head over heels into the poison ivy beyond.

Another time when I was like 8 again, I tried to jump over by using this little rock, about 2 inches tall, and in some freak moment, I managed to pull an endo over the barsby hitting that tiny rock at maybe 20 mph (probably less than that)

Okay injuries. The first one only my pride was hurt, the second one the girl next door thought I was retarded and I got poison Ivy galore, and the third one I landed on my butt when I bailed and got bruised. All are lame.
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

mtbr member

Here's mine in reverse chronlogical order

A few weeks ago:
    First ride of í07, and I pull up on the bars while heading up a little slope to the parking lot (before even reaching the trail). I glide onto the tarmac with the front wheel way up, and I go back, back, and on my assÖbut not without trying to brace my fall with my hands. Thereís nothing I didnít do wrong here (I blame lack of any adrenalin, and the guy that needed to swing by the bathroom at the parking lot ). End result was a fractured right wrist and elbow (the latter just from the pavement impact shockwave), and a 6 week cast on the wrist. On the plus side I still did the ride that day out of pride since I didnít want to admit that I was maybe actually hurt. It didnít cause further injury fortunately, but it wasnít a fun ride either for sure.

2 years ago:
    I was test riding an Enduro, and it was my first trail ride on disk brakes, or full suspension for that matter as I was getting back into the sport, and I started really pushing some speed on a trail I had never been on - a quintessential NorCal grassy hillside trail. The trail isnít too rocky, but it is called ďRocky RidgeĒ, and thereís one rock garden in particular I flew into at which point I grabbed two fistfuls of brake like I would on my cantilever equipped hardtail. The bike stopped on a dime at 12-15mph, and I superman to a belly flopped. I wish it ended with that, but Iím still sliding down the trail so I pick my head up look ahead just in time to see the boulder and duck my head back down just in time to let my helmet take the impact. I swear if my chinstrap was an inch longer it would have push too far back and I would have split my forehead. I lay there for about 20min in shock, nearly sick to my stomach. It was the initial impact that nearly blew out my right wrist ligaments. The boulder only served to kindly block my access to a nice grassy stopping point. I was bloodied all over and certainly had a little concussion. After gathering myself, I had the pleasant 30min walk to the lot (I couldnít hold onto the bar to finish the ride), and then the shame of returning the (undamaged) bike to the shop folks. The wrist took an entire year to fully heal, so I didnít even buy the bike. Sucked all around.

25 years ago:
    I had one of those 3 foot poles with an orange flag on it, and I wanted to see what it looked like while going fast down a hill. I went off the driveway and into some rocks...damn rocks on grassy hills keep getting me.

Happy Trails,
    kcavt

BMX'er getting big wheels
    Mine was on the BMX, out the door 5 minutes, just warming up and kicking the bike sideways a little on this big dirt bank. My friend who isn't much of a biker was for some reason impressed with this...till the time I jumped, whipped it a little, and the bike didn't come back straight with me for the landing. Introduced my face to hardpack at 10-15mph, he laughed hysterically as I made sure I had all my teeth and tried to find my glasses.

mtbr member

now I dont feel so stupid

airing up my tire after a flat on the trail, glanced up to see my bike falling towards me, handlebar catches me in the eye, nice little black eye, from my own handlebar while not moving.

not bike related, but a stupid injury
    in college i was "dating" a kickboxer (girl) I was stupid, she found out about the other girl, she punched me, I still have a scar next to my eye.

Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
    I have had the handle bar to the eye while working on a bike in the stand while working in a shop! That one sucks. I have also popped my self in the eye with my own hand removing a grip in the shop. You can't help but laugh when that happens!
    "Don't give up, Never give up!"

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    pedal strike to left eyebrow......bike upside down...leaned over and spun the wheel to listen for a noise....didn't even see it comin'......got a nice "mouse" out of it...dang that smarted....
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I was making a left turn in an intersection in town, and after waiting for the line of cars going straight to get out of the way, started pedaling as hard as I could WHILE turning as sharp as possible. I couldn't have been going more than 5 mph, but I hit the inside pedal on the pavement, which knocked my tires out from under me, and wham, laid me flat on my left side. The funny thing is, and I STILL don't know how I did it, but I broke my RIGHT foot (the one on TOP of all the wreckage). It was even more embarrassing that my sister was walking back from class and happened to see the whole thing. I'll never hear the end of it.

mtbr member

hmm...

Just after getting over a busted colar bone and really riding again. I go riding with one of the guys. I had just upgraded to egg-beaters and had not yet experienced my first clipped in event...He lagged behind me so at a car crossing intersection I stop and lean against a fencepost (one foot clipped in one not). When he goes on by, I push off...front wheel wobbles and rolls over a rock that lines the ditch below me (do they call it riff raff or brick brack?). Anyways, trying to clip in the free foot, the rock rolls, front wheel slips and I start to go over toward the ditch. It's in slow motion, I think "save the shoulder!" remember to clip out, realize there's nothing there to put my foot down on (it's a ditch). I put out my hand and BANG! Oh yeah, it's a public park on a beautiful Saturday, did I mention public, LOTS of public...I get up, shake it off, get on the bike and get going...I notice my wrist is a little sore and (as I ride past a unicyclist) that I think crap thats going to hurt tomorrow. After about another 5-6 miles, we get back to the truck, load up and I head on home still sore. It takes about 20-30 minutes to get home and I realize in the driveway, I can't shift into PARK through the pain. By bed time it's horrible, Sunday I cry all day about going to the ER, my wife says put ice on it and wait till tomorrow. Tomorrow comes, make an early appt with the ortho (same one as the colar bone), x-rays and DAGGONIT!!!! An incomplete Fracture of the distal radius...back in a splint and back off the bike.
    Thanks for listening...
    Roses are Red, Violets are Blue, Fireroads are fun, but Singletrack rules!

mtbr member
    Screeemer,

Sorry to hear of your bad luck. I fractured my right upper arm 10 days ago jumping 6" diameter logs in a beginner class Patiently waiting for it to heal in a sling. It's a ***** typing with one arm. Here's to your speedy recovery.
    2005 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 2006 Specialized Roubaix, 2007 Specialized FSR XC Pro

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    finishing second lap at China camp. just getting comfy w/first 29er. zooming along in the shade. found a feature that I couldn't roll over. flew over it instead.

fractured clavicle, 6-8wks off the bike. meh.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Arrived at a riding spot. Went around to the back of the truck. Dropped my tire lever. Bent down to pick it up. Started to straighten up just as my friend LET GO (not lower- let go) of the lift gate. BAM!!!!!!!

The knot on my head was soooo big and hurt sooo much, I had no choice but to ride without the helmet. I was in pain... I was dizzy..... Nothing was going to stop me from riding though!

Now wr rollin on a Boom!

Now here's some thinkin'

This thread is awesome!

1: Riding down Repack on a rainy, cold day a couple of months ago. I'm taking it easy and pausing before each steep drop section, waiting for my friend who's a beginner, hoping he doesn't crash and decide he hates mountainbiking. Everything's fine, and we do the slightly sketchy bottom section, me dragging my brakes the whole way so he can follow my line. We get to the bottom and stop at the wooden bridge, and by this time my fingers are frozen, since I'm cleverly wearing short-finger gloves and my wet, bare metal levers are nice and cold.
    So I'm wondering to myself, "just how hot would a 7" rotor get on a day as cold and rainy as this, and after a lot more braking than I usually would do, but wouldn't they also cool off faster on the wide-open fast sections because of evaporating water and colder air, and my goggles are a bit fogged up, but I don't see any steam coming off them..." So like a diligent, curious mechanic, I gingerly touch the rotor a couple of times with my cold, numb fingers.
    Since I don't feel any heat at first, I proceed to pinch the rotor between my wet index finger and thumb for about 2 seconds, and when I finallly do feel something, that something is a sensation of sharp, vicious pain, accompanied by a hissing sound and a light smell of cooking meat. I yank my fingers off the rotor and yell, "OW, Sh*t!" and my friend, who thinks I'm some kind of experienced bike rider, says, "Dude, what the hell did you do that for?"
    The burn's mostly healed now, but of course it was my right thumb and finger --I'm right handed-- and I work as a bike mechanic...

2: Not bike related but plenty stoopid: about 2 years ago I was trying to crack my wife up by showing her my versions of dance moves I'd seen on a Britney Spears video earlier in the day, and I tore something in my shoulder that's still never healed right. It occurred to me afterwards that just because BS is cheesy and lame as a musician, the backup dancers who aced their competitors in the auditions have to be some of the worlds most highly skilled, very flexible, young, fit, professional athletes, and I am none of those things.
    "I think it's cool how the best line is also usually the most beautiful line" --Kurt F, Tamarancho, Safety Meeting

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

lame fall

A couple of weeks ago I decided to take advantage of daylight savings time and go for a ride after work. i ran into a buddy, and rode with him for a while. At one point, I asked if he wanted to go on this one trail, and he said, "no, i gotta get home; besides, the last tiime I went on that trail i fell and i'm still pissed off at it". i said, "all right, i'll see you later" and went onto said trail, which i've ridden on many many times and never fallen. Just cruising along a smooth flat part, I stand up to pedal, and the next thing I know i'm on the ground, fell sideways, rockrash on my shin and a pulled muscle in my shoulder. I dont even know wtf happened. I guess that dude jinxed me. Ten days later, my shoulder's feeling better, i go for a ride on another trail i've ridden dozens of times with no problem, my front tire catches a root, gets yanked to one side, and down i go, a very controlled fall, but at the last minute I realize I either catch the fall with my weak arm or with my face, so I repulled the muscle and almost back to square 1. I guess i'm lucky, though, its a minor injury, read about much worse ones here on this forum. But, last summer i had a badly sprained wrist which took 3 months to heal, and now i always wear wristguards (Pro-tec skate wristguards, just remove the lower insert so you can still grab your handlebar) everybody should- they've saved my wrists many times.

Super Fly
    so you dont know what made you fall?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

mystery fall

what i think happened is: i was going around an off-camber curve, my rear rire was right on the outside edge of the trail, and that piece of the trail broke loose under my weight right whan i stood up a little to pedal, weight on the inside pedal, which helped the tire slide to the right off the crumbling trail edge, and my weight was just aliitle too far forward for me to catch the fall with my other foot, and then the bike fell to the left, and the handlebars torqued left and down, pulling my trapezius muscle in the process. Embarrassing. Its a smooth easy trail. Glad my friend wasn't behind me, never would have heard the end of it.

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hass
    A couple of years ago I was riding my bike in front of my house without a seat and post. I decided I would try to stop the bike by putting my a$$ on the rear wheel.

The rear wheel grabbed a hold of my shorts and sucked them into the seatstays along with my a$$ and nuts.

The bike came to a skidding stop!

That hurts just thinking about it!

mtbr member
    When I was younger, I decided that it was comical for me to ride a runt bike. You know, the ones with the 6'' wheels and no brakes. I didn't know about the no brake part until I got to the bottom of the hill where I had to stop Fred Flinstone style. I hate S@$%.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast