Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Person Who Bicycles
    Jun 2008
    This happened a while back, first day clipless. My friend had told me to make sure i get a few trail and road type riding in before i tackle the mountains as normal...cept it was 5pm wendsay..and the weekly ride is @ 6. So i bike from the bike shop fresh from having them installed...to a bike ride run by the guys that just installed my pedals. To top it off, I hadn't rode this particular trail before.

So I clean a rough steep climb for the first time, thanks to the pedals..lovin them, and confident and happy I begin to fly down a long turny swoopy DH. I manage to pass a few of the older riders...still going..and i see that the DH ends in gravel. No big. Suddenly i realize that the gravel is bikepathish trail and its a right angle turn..no bank. Flat. And I'm still bookin. Well this is when i was inexperienced mind you...so i lock out the rear (idiot) fishtail still @ top speed..and I hit the gravel. 3ft till big tree. Well i lock the front and pull a classic endo....into these brambles. The type with big mean thorns. So I manage to land the endo nice..not really sure how you do that but I always fall well. Even though it was my first endo. And suddenly I realize that I'm still clipped in, bike on top of me, tied up in brambles...AND HERE COMES THE OTHER RIDERS! YAY! embarrassment to make a long story short I got to have a guy tell me to man up and untangle myself. Though i got props for being covered in blood and full of thorns And I fell 7 more times that day...the slow "oh sh1t here we go again" type that happens when ur a noob who stops clipped in. Good Fun

Tribe member
    I had just got my first true mountain bike. This is about 7 or 8 years since I had ridden last (besides a couple test rides when looking for a bike). Anyways I had it in my bedroom and stuck the front tire up against the bed frame and tried to stand up on the pedals so I could see if the height I set my saddle at felt good or not. Needless to say I lost my balance and the pedal stabbed me in the shin and I didn't realize until later that I had a big bloody stain on my dress pants.

Card-carrying wotmeister
    About two hours ago, I was fooling around at a shopping center with StinkyFTW and we decided to go do huxx at some apartments across from where we were. I was riding on a fairly busy street in front of a Food Lion, when....

...perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself.

See, right next to the Food Lion is a soda machine. $0.50 for a can. I've probably spent half my waking life up at this shopping center, and this machine is where I get my drinxx. I've had each soda in the machine multiple times, except for the grape Fanta.

Fast forward again, back to the street. I have my soda in my right hand and am steering with my left. I try to hold onto the bar with my soda hand and shift (on the right side, with my soda hand). My wheel wobbles and I almost wipe out but my foot keeps me up - but not up enough to have purple soda all over me.

I look sheepishly back at StinkyFTW and the older couple behind me, then - wait for it - TRY TO DO IT AGAIN.

I go through the motions once more, but this time my bike jackknifes and falls. With a full soda in one hand, I hop over the frame, and am coming down again when I realize - "Oh sh*t! Dual-crown fork!" and trip over it. Gratuitous amounts of grape high-fructose goodness are sloshing on me.

I do land on my feet though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by feltbee
    I had just got my first true mountain bike. This is about 7 or 8 years since I had ridden last (besides a couple test rides when looking for a bike). Anyways I had it in my bedroom and stuck the front tire up against the bed frame and tried to stand up on the pedals so I could see if the height I set my saddle at felt good or not. Needless to say I lost my balance and the pedal stabbed me in the shin and I didn't realize until later that I had a big bloody stain on my dress pants.
    When you tell that story you've got to start it, "So I was mountain biking in my dress pants..."
    To the troll mobile, away...

Tribe member
    I think it can only be topped by starting it, "So I was mountain biking in my dress pants...in my bedroom..."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by feltbee
    I think it can only be topped by starting it, "So I was mountain biking in my dress pants...in my bedroom..."

...which begs the question, how many of us have ridden our bikes in the home "Animal House" style? As for me- I'll take the fifth.
    To the troll mobile, away...

Rizla Powered
    Aug 2007
    Commuting to work, I was maybe 200 feet from my house and there was light icing on the ground. I decided to see how slippery it was so I pulled my front brake, of course the front wheel washed out, the bike went down and I somehow caught my chin on one of the bar ends.

I never realised how much blood can come from a facial injury, it was everywhere. I walked the bike back home and looked in the mirror, I had a second tongue hanging from my chin!

A quick drive to the hospital holding my chin together with my hand, 10 euros for 8 stitches and I was on my way again.

Since then I cycle very gingerly on cold days

Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by California L33
    ...which begs the question, how many of us have ridden our bikes in the home "Animal House" style? As for me- I'll take the fifth.
    I have done it most of my life. Had to ride down the basement stairs on the BMX bike when Moms got home early!
    "Don't give up, Never give up!"

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    yesterday, while crossing a skinny plank over a brook, I sliped off, grinding the right bottom side of the fork all the way across to the end of the plank, smashing into the edge of the brook, leading me to gently knee the shifters. 15 miles of riding later, got home, took a shower and had dinner, watched a movie and relaxed. When I went to jump into bed, Excruciating PAIN. I had a knot the size of a big grape right on the knee cap. Dont know how I didnt notice this. It looked like I had an elbow on my knee cap. It was the strangest looking thing.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My stupid injury was cracking a rib...........................

How??? I was testing the sag on my rear shock in my garage and just leaned on the seat with all my weight. My propedal was still ingaged on the shock, so I bounced a little with all my weigth on my saddle. Luckily it was very minor, but still totally lame.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

banned
    In this thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...27#post4940627

On my Italian vacation, on day two, I was bombing down a rocky road, and suddenly my wheel turned, ejecting me off the bike at about 30mph. I land on my arm, and thought I broke it, but it was just bruised and scraped. I didn't notice that I landed on my left leg, and had a combination of contusions, scrapes, and a gash. Started swelling right away, but I wanted to ride, as we had 650 meters left to descend and something like about 16 linear km left.

So I continued to ride for the next 5 days, then came the 13 hour drive to the family home. I got out, and my leg was swollen pretty bad, then I had a 7 hour drive back to my own home...so out came the injections of Heparin to prevent a clot. I only got cleared by sonogram a few days ago. Hell, I felt fine, but everyone else was upset, considering they're physicians.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

too numerous ....

- my best one.....single trail, high speed, hidden rock. Bike stops. I dont. I hit the stem with my dick. So hard it gets "stretched" a bit at the root. Which could be good. But wasnt. It hurt like a SOB. Over the next week it turned dark purple and then black and finally yellow from the root to over half way up. Very alarming. On top of that it hurt so much when I'd get a hard-on that for a long time (weeks) having sex was not much fun at all.

- slow endo gowing down hill in rocks in front of a bunch of spectators....and I mean slowly. The font wheel got swallowed by a rock and I start to endo. So slowly that I fell face forwards with my hands still glued to the handlebars: all my weight was transferred to my arms so I couldnt let go: Broken upper incisors and a broken wrist. 1 week before my son was born. My wife was not happy having 2 babies to look after !!

- same thing two years later. This time in the dark. No teeth but the other wrist.

- broken ribs....rear wheel washes out due to a greasy log hidden in the grass. I manage to fall, ribs first and with all my weight right onto my bunched fist. 2 cracked ribs. sooooo painful.

- downhill race - practice day. The line I spied for the tough right hander worked like a dream. But....I came out of that corner so darn fast that I got air in a jump I normally don't (and shouldnt) get air in. Result: a stretched knee and a "road rash" the size of a softball on my butt cheek. I had to dirve sitting on a cushion and my work pants would get stuck to the oozing wound.

- Clipless 101 - I failed: I have to unclip in the middle of a small wooden bridge going across a creek. Well. didnt. Over I go still clipped in. Head first then A$$ over tit. Add water.

- For a friend : same bridge. Its made of short planks across two tree trunks. He rides too close to the edge, a loose plank flips up and side-swipes his front wheel and throws him sideways into the creek. Add water. Soaked. Bleeding. Very funny.

- for a friend: He is riding over a 'stile' (a smalled very humped bridge over a cattle grid/wall etc). Anway he gets only half way, stalls, falls sideways. He is left clinging to a wooden post with his bike "skewered" by another post and still clipped in, his but inhces away from a nest of barbed wire. I had to ride back, unclip him and help him 'climb' down. He was all of 2 foot in the air !!

- For another friend - I just manage to stop at the top of a chute in a downhill run. The kind you have to commit to. My friend is not so lucky. He almost stops, then wipes out head first and "elbow skis" down the chute with the bike tangled in his legs. He slides a while...aughh nnghh hhhughh grrrghhg. I climb down through the bushes at the side and hear....'help'....'HELP'. I rush down and look for my friend. WTF. Where is he. He is till above me, still 'in the chute', head down, bike tangled in his legs and completely pinned. I scramble up and try pulling the bike off him. 'aaaaghh AAAGHHH'. WTF...he's not clipped in. I pull again. 'aaaaghh AAAGHHH'. I finally figure out his shoe-lace is wrapped around the brake lever and as I pull the bike its twisting his knee. I remove his shoe from his foot and he slides down another 10 feet and I slide his bike down to him. Nothing hurt too bad except his elbows (elbow skiing does that) and his brand new Gemini is not so brand new any more.
    Last edited by missile; 10-31-2008 at 08:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Missle, great stories! The best part:

"He slides a while...aughh nnghh hhhughh grrrghhg"

lol!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeebeans
    The lamest injury that I can think of is the numerous times that I've missed my pedal and gave myself a few nice gashes in the shape of the pedals' spikes on the back of my calf. Anyone else ever done this before?

happened to me too but, the lamest injury ever would have to be the time I was walking with a flat tyre to my friends house (where we were going to fix it) I saw someone I knew and wanted to catch up by running, only I was wearing slippers and as I swung my foot backwards I hit my huge metal pedal...cut a hole just below my calf...not REALLY serious, just stupid

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    N00b stories!!!!

Okay I don't have any super gnarly stories since I've got a hard tail xc, and one of these takes place on a craptastic walmart special.

1) Was riding some singletrack near my house on a walmart bike that I had been given and was upgrading slowly. This trail had a small drop at one point of 2 feet. (yes 2FT!) So I go off this little drop on said wally world ride...I land hard on my seat, and the pinch bolt clamp breaks loose slamming the nose of the seat into my gonads. I wreck to the left and land in a huge thorn bush. I wasn't thinking about the thorns...I couldn't sit down comfortably for days.

2) Same trail but on my C-dale frame: I was riding a lot faster than I had been on the old frame as the Dale handled great, but I still had these man eating bmx pedals on it. (its the no budget wonder) Well I went to kick off for a descent and missed with my left foot, slid off the seat and the right pedal slammed into my shin gouging out a line with the pedal grip posts. It went down into the bone and bled so much that by the time I got home my shoe was full of blood. Great scar too!

3) This one is the dumbest by far. Was riding my C-dale on a mountain near me and the trail disappeared so I found a dry stream and was going to follow that. I push off and immediately lose the front wheel into a whole covered with leaves. OTB! Jammed several fingers, and had cuts and scrapes. Once I stopped laughing I walked until I found the trail again and rode home.

Bonus! Was working in the shop...we have a double sided park stand. The one with the industrial metal base and clamps. I usually work on the left side so i can see the door. Well I was working on a bike and dropped some hardware. I bent down to pick it up and upon standing up slammed my head hard into the second clamp. I was seeing stars and my head was bleeding. The best part was the laughter from the the customers and other employees. Great!

My other ride is your mom
    My story happens before I bought my first MTB. I was trying bikes out for fit at various shops, wearing regular shorts and flip flops. Of course, I had no experience with clipless other than the clipless I used back in the day on my old ride bike. So right off the bat, flip flops and shimano clipless felt a bit funny. I must have been futzing with something, but my left foot slipped off the pedal rather forcefully whereby my toes slipped off the back of the pedal which was raised up along with the crank arm on the left side of the bike....my right foot was down with the crank arm on the right side. When this happened, my left shin was dragged across the pedal, scraping off flesh to the bone along a 4 inch gash. I hobbled into the store and the kindly lady at the shop asked me how the bike felt, not seeing the blood running down my leg. I told her tersely through my gritted teeth that it felt fine and that I would be back....i never returned. Considering that this was my 1st injury with a mountain bike and I was not even really riding it....I think that qualifies as very lame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Down hill section with multiple jumps interspersed. We had done it 4 times already and I was on my fifth decent, final jump. I go air bound and my foot leaves the left Wellgo pedal. I come down and my shin gets gouged by the top center spike on the wellgo. I feel it go in and come to a stop when it clinks off my shin bone. The gash is 3 inches long, 1/4 inch deep and 1/4 inch wide. It would have been longer, but the shin bone ejected the pedal from my flesh. We're seven miles in on a trail and I get to ride out with a shirt sleave tied around the wound. It didn't hurt and the andrenaline rush allowed me to just annihilate the last seven miles to the car. I would have packed my shin guards had I known we were going to be hitting some jumps, but I just couldn't resist the jumps!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hass
    A couple of years ago I was riding my bike in front of my house without a seat and post. I decided I would try to stop the bike by putting my a$$ on the rear wheel.

The rear wheel grabbed a hold of my shorts and sucked them into the seatstays along with my a$$ and nuts.

The bike came to a skidding stop!
    My brother was riding on my rear axle and slipped off and got his sh!t sucked into my rear wheel....burned through his pants, and everything else. Even though I knew it hurt, I couldnt stop laughing as he danced around...calling me a ****er.

Card-carrying wotmeister
    My friend has a halfpipe in his garage, and he got a brand new uber-trendy BMX bike for christmas, so I was over at his house checking it out and messing around on the halfpipe.

I rolled up one side, about to fakie back down, but my pants got caught in the sprocket. The backwards momentum made the bike flip over and land on top of me. I fell of the halfpipe and my head bounced on a tennis racket on the floor.

mtbr member
    About 3 years ago, I was a NOOB.... (I've come a long way in those 3 years)

I was on my Trek 3900 and had watched a video on YouTube on how to do a wheelie drop. I go out and try it off my retaining wall (about a 3 foot drop)

Well, I got the drop part but didnít wheelie at all.

I have no idea how but I broke my big toe, (I didnít have shoes on) and I have to say that hurt more than the broken collar bone, or the shattered hip and pelvis.
    "A Fifth of Yager, a four pack or Red Bull, and a full suspension mountain bike, now thats quite a combo."

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    1) While in college, I rode my wal-mart bike to classes. One day I was just pulling out in front of my dorm, so I was off the seat and all my weight was on the pedals. Then suddenly the chain slips off the chainring, causing my weight to shift and I am still wondering how I proceeded to fly over the bars. Did I mention that this was in the middle of a crowded campus? Not a single "Are you ok". They were all probably laughing too hard to talk.

2) I was riding my trek hardtail on some backroads near my house. I was coasting downhill around 20 mph when suddenly the seatpost bolt completely snaps. I fall off the bike and roll over several times before coming to a stop. I had soon pretty bad road rash on my left leg and forearm. I also bruised a fingernail (got caught in the spokes) which fell off weeks later. Shortly after my wreck, some guy in a pickup drives by and instead of asking if I needed any help, tells me that I shouldn't be riding around these roads..... I don't anymore.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Was messing around doing some trials. Was only doing a 1 foot maybe 1 and a half foot ride up (Thought i would take it easy that day...) Foot slipped off my truvativ pedal... Now it's a nice size scar. It wasn't all that bad because everytime a girl asked me what happend I said I saved a baby from a burning building and had to jump through a window cutting my leg on the glass just escaping the house caving in lol. 70% of the time... it worked everytime.

Heres a pic (Terrible pic) a few weeks after the accident. Healed up pretty nice for just bandages holding it together hah.
    Skin is so tight on my shin that everytime I would try to take a look at how it was healing it would split back open.

mtbr member

just found this thread...

great stuff...
    got me thinking how unlucky (or how lucky) I have been over the years...

There is the classic schwinn scrambler gap jump (FIRST bike in Nome, AK with mag wheels). The older kids were watching and had just spaced the jump and landing ramp out further "just go faster" they said, so I did...flew 8 feet through the air to a perfect landing, right square on my back...

Once thought it would be cool to bunny-hop over the goose sitting in the middle of the trail near Riverfront Park in Spokane, WA. Well, it wasn't...I'm pretty sure the goose was fine...

caught a THICK chain around a parking lot with my head tube...instant OTB dismount, no witnesses

probably the best and coincidentally the most expensive was the wheelie I pulled on one of these whilst trying to impress a pair of 8oo8ies ...compressed the seat springs and started to go over the back so I threw my right foot forward to counter-ballance, front came down, foot planted, the bike and myself used my right leg to pole-vault up and over what little dignity I had left. when the bike and I came crashing to the ground, I felt it would be best to cushin the fall with my kneecap. I sat in the middle of the street laughing at how much my knee hurt untill I was told I had to move by a cop. I rode home and went to the doc the next day...blown ACL, torn miniscus and a patellar plateau that was very nearly turned to mashed potatoes
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

don't forget...

wheelieing (sp?) off the 4 steps of the library on campus in Fairbanks, AK...I had a U-lock strapped to my front rack, rear wheel delightfully rolling down the steps, front wheel lofting lightly till it lands on pavement, u-lock comes partially disconnected and kind of hinges forward and down until it stops, perfectly meeting the pavement and the front tire, flipping me OTB to land at the feet of a couple of hotties...merely a flesh wound, don't try this at home, and all that...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I also have 2:

1) Couldn't get unclipped (left foot is too tight) and fell into a neighboring rider who was just standing there...I broke my pride, and one of my fingernails!

2) Trying to do a wheelie in a parking lot like my wife and had never done with clipped in...needless to say I was on my back with my feet still attached and the bike straight up in the air...again, only my pride was injured!

high-fivin' your nipples
    Feb 2009
    I've got two:

First, I grew up riding 3rd hand "banana" bikes like damnitman posted above, only not nearly as cool. Mine was purple. I'm a dude. As if that wasn't injury enough, a neighborhood kid gets the first BMX out of all of us and brings it out to show it off on trash day. I'm on it, digging the fact that I'm riding sans-ape hangers for the first time. cruising along in front of my house, I hear a noise and look behind me to see that it was the trash truck. For some reason, I fixate on the truck over my shoulder rather than watching the road in front of me. Next thing I know I'm on my back looking up at the underside of our mailbox. With the lower bmx bars, the bike snuck right under it-- had I been a cartoon, there would have been a perfect imprint of my face in the side of the mailbox.

Second, I'm riding my newspaper route as a kid on my sweet, sweet 3-ton Roadmaster POS. The papers had to be delivered by 5pm, company policy. I'm finishing off the route, checking my watch, and at the same time decide that I need to shift. I reach across with my left hand and hit the right side shifter, while staring downward at my watch on my right wrist, in standard "I'm looking at my watch" position.... not on the bars. This is pre-click/grip shift, and I muscled the little bastard lever forward. With no counter-force on the left side of the bars to keep the wheel straight, I basically commit myself to a partial bar-spin and stab myself in the nuts with the left grip as I go OTB, while also tangling my newspaper pouch around the bars as well, bringing the bike back on top of me after landing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

wont do that again...

ok, so I dont have the narliest injury, or even the coolest...but but here goes anyways

I ordered a pair of Hayes Hydros and got them in last friday, that evening got them installed just fine and was trying to center the caliper over the rotor by hand (squeezing the lever and tightening the bolts wasnt working) when the 180mm caught my right index fingernail and pulled my finger into the rotor and almost sheered the tip off against the caliper. i could actually feel the weight of the wheel stop and bounce back while it was in my finger. It went through 75% of the nail bed and fingertip, and fractured the bone at the tip of the finger.
    Spent most of friday night in the E.R., and now have to wait to go out and try those brand new Hayes Strokers.

I did get them centered saturday with the help of a friend and a 12 pack (he was hesitant at first).
    Always remember, "Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body."

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    i took my brothers road bike out for a spin without him knowing. and on my way back i crashed into my truck, went over the handle bars, halfway in the truck bed, then fell out on the ground. I broke one of the stem shifters, and it impaled my leg. I had a q-tip sized hole in my leg

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

been there done that

didn't go so far as to break off the tip of my finger but i have caught my finger in the rotor before and took off half of the tip and finger nail.
    fortunately i was able to tape it all back together and ride the next day!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    My only really lame biking accident comes from when i was a kid. I had a little redline bmx bike. I could do tricks for "S", but i got good at doing wheelies. Anyhow, before helmet laws i was riding down my street with a friend when i yanked in the bars to do a wheelie. I managed to pull them way up and smack myself in the head. A few days earlier i had removed the bar pad because i thought it looked cooler with out. Instead i got a 5 stitches in my head and a vertial scar/indent that seems to give people the impression that i'm mad all the time(go figure)

More recently would be when a friend of mine went riding with me with his older mountain bike that happened to have those bar ends. Right at the end of our ride his bike slid out from under him and he jabbed in self right below the eye with a bar end. I'd be lying if i said i didnt laugh a little. lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Two nights ago I dropped my Topeak floor pump about 5 feet right onto my barefooted big toe. Sure, it's not a heavy pump, but something about the angle of the fall caused it to sever my toenail and a large flap of skin from the front of my toe. It bled profusely, and due to the location of the injury it's going to take a long time to heal Right now using superglue to try and keep the wound closed.
    2010 Giant Anthem X
    Friends don't let friends ride Tune hubs.

Singapore
    Mar 2009
    First one was in August last year.

It happened in the middle of my examination period. I was telling my good friend i would not be going offroad during the exams. and when my first paper ended, I called him ask we went for a ride. I didnt know what was on my mind but I attempted a 3 feet drop on a downhill stretch and my bike skidded sideways down with me still holding tightly on my bars. Cracked my 3 months old helmet.

Went for my next paper a couple of days later with my arm bandaged up. Had total problems writing.

Next one. 2 incidents in one day.

I was on my 2nd offroad trip with my SPDs. fell and got stuck. I shouted out to my friends. One of them who was also wearing SPDs jammed onto his brakes and also fell. Both of us still in our pedals

Then we went off to the next trail. there was this muddy section. my front tire gripped into the mud and veered left. sternum land right smack on the end of my handlebar(without the end cap). Was lucky I didnt become skewered meat.

Today, 20 days later. The handlebar marking is still on my chest.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    This was pretty lame, and to make it worse, my friend happened to turn on his camera just as I was halfway into it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDU1jkqltyU (that's him cackling evilly in the background).

We were waiting for the little ferry you see in the background - it arrives, I hop on the bike and clip straight in, but woe unto me, the ground is very bumpy and I haven't got any speed up and the front wheel just digs into a rut and, no time to unclip, over I go. The first frame is great, you get a nice plateau of me headed over the handlebars.

Not my first clipless topple, by any means, but confirms my theory that 99% of the time they happen at low speeds, if that's any reassurance to those who are still leery of clipless pedals.

Fortunately only my pride was injured, as you can see.

P.S. Just realised that I wasn't wearing a helmet there! I never go out without it, so it took a second's close-up examination to clear up the mystery: it was hooked to my handlebars - fat lot of use it was there...
    SPD shoes, pedals, cleats and the experience of going clipless. (a work in progress - let me know if I missed something!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hass
    A couple of years ago I was riding my bike in front of my house without a seat and post. I decided I would try to stop the bike by putting my a$$ on the rear wheel.

The rear wheel grabbed a hold of my shorts and sucked them into the seatstays along with my a$$ and nuts.

The bike came to a skidding stop!
    This entire thread is gold but I have to give that story first prize.

My story is completely lame and my own fault over and over. When I was around 14 y/o I had a Raleigh Rampar BMX bike that I never maintained but just beat the hell out of. There was a very good sized hill with a small creek a mile or so away from my house that me and some friends built a makeshift ramp by so we could jump the 20ft span of the creek. I got full speed one day down the hill and as I went to lift my front wheel on the ramp, my handlebars and stem came out of the frame. I landed on my back halfway on the ramp and half off and knocked myself out while sliding into the muddy water. Lame.

Edit: One more uber-lame story.

I was at a friends party one night and after about 12-15 beers went to ride his mountain bike. Mounted it, went to ride off, and just fell over sideways. Probably a good thing I ko'ed myself that night.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenlegs
    First ride on a new hardtail, about 4 years ago. Forgot to tighten up my spd pedals. Go to bunny hop a little 10 inch log, came right out of the pedals, OTB. Broken wrist, actually the scaphoid bone. Horrible bone to break, takes forever to heal. I was out 3 months while my shiny new bike sat in the corner.
    BEST
    FALL
    EVER

Haha, I can totally visualise that, and it's hilarious, sorry tho...

mtbr member
    Lamest? Well I've had some pretty lame crashes. Got one on video though.

Riding with my buddy and his family at a local park. Well someone came through it with some kind of grader and mucked everything up. When they graded it they happend to knock a root that I guess was barely on the surface out of the ground. My buddy saw it and avoided it but I was unable to with my camera.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE8LDORjGMc

But two weeks later I was riding this trail and there was a small tree hanging over the trail. Well I have been riding for over and hour on what is considered a fairly advanced trail and was tired. I took pressure off my front tire and when the suspension compressed it stopped on something and put me in an endo that caused the rear of the bike to swing over and pinched me right on my ass causing a huge bruise for a few days. Luckily no one saw that.
    Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
    P. J. O'Rourke

the giant.
    i got a funny one. a few years ago i was riding a road bike to go to a friends house and i was stupid enough to ride on the sidewalk. i rode in front of a bank and hit a little lip to catch some air and once i landed some guy pulls out of the drive-up window and i go right onto the hood, slide over the entire hood (dukes of hazard style of course) and landed right on my tailbone. the guy was in his 20's or so and imagine pulling out of your bank with a wad of cash in your hand and see a kid sliding over your hood. quite amusing. i put a decent dent in the side of his car and bent my fork. but his car was a tuner, so i ran around the car, hopped on my bike and rode as fast as i could. the guy followed me for like a mile and was yelling at me to pay for his car damage. so i randomly took a sharp corner and lost him. i got to my friends house and he almost died laughing when he saw my bike and heard the story.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Buddy and I were out riding, he isn't overly aggressive, and his cautious, brake loving side got to him. I told him before and during that he would be fine as long as he didn't touch his front brake. Well... watch the video and see how that went.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkWDFPi0ntA

mtbr member

Neighborly Distraction

As a kid I used to ride a mile or so to a neighbors house every day for fresh milk. They owned a dairy and kept a stocked refrigerator near the front of their home. I would ride over with one of the old one glass gallon jugs hanging from the handlebars of my classic Schwinn cruiser. As I was riding along one lazy afternoon I lifted my hand up to wave to a neighbor and yelled "Hello". Imagine my shock and surprise - and that of my neighbor as well- when I plowed into the back of her station wagon amidst the sounds of grating metal and shattering glass. Whoops. Ended up with 8 stitches in my left thigh after removing the chunk of milk bottle that had lodged itself in the middle of my leg. Went ahead and got the milk though- then off to the ER. Good times.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I've got a stupid one. I'm new to the sport and I'm trying to learn to bunny hop. The other day I was practicing and making some progress and as I was trying to "pull up and push over" on the handlebar I feel this wicked sharp pain in my hand. I ended up streching a tendon in my hand. No cool wreck or anything. I swear when I was younger I had the craziest wrecks while riding and would get up shake it off and ride on. Now I try to bunnyhop and get a hand injury. That's LAME.
    build a man a fire keep him warm for a day, set a man on fire keep him warm for the rest of his life.

mtbr member
    almost a year ago i was rolling up to a small jump, didnt have enough speed so i thought id "roll over it" ended up going over the bars.

smashed my right shoulder and side of my head into the ground, almost dislocated my shoulder, and smashed my 4 month old $300(au) helmet!

f#cking jumps still scare me.......

steve

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    So last night I was adjusting my BB7s when I (stupidly) decided to adjust the outboard pad while the wheel was still spinning. I reached to turn the knob, but instead my middle finger on my right hand was caught by one of the middle blades on the rotor, which then wedged it against the caliper. VERY painful, but it was cold outside, so I figured that made the pain feel worse than it really was.

I continue adjusting the brakes when i notice a puddle of blood on the floor. I then notice the blood dripping all down my arm, pouring out of what appeared at the time to be a small cut on my finger. I go inside and start cleaning up the cut when it becomes apparent that the rotor nearly sliced about 1/2" off my finger, clean through my fingernail, apparently stopping when it hit bone and finially stopped the wheel.

Now I have three stiches (one goinig through my fingernail, mind you [which for the record, hurts like a biotch]) from merely adjusting my brakes.

So, the moral of the story here is to stop the wheel from turning before adjusting the pads on your disc brakes. Yea, obvious to me, too, now that i almost sliced part of my finger off.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Ash,
    I did the same thing! I only took the tip of my finger off but it still bled like crazy. I was adjusting a bike at work, and happened to let my middle finger get a little too close to the disc. It was so quick you'd think it was a meat slicer. I learned my lesson that day. heal up friend!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by xKREDx
    just one word............................"OUCH"
    dude ii dont even have nuts and that makes me cringe!

RIDE4FUN
    My friend was coming down freelunch, at the very end where the cave is he caught the overhang under the forehead rim on his full face. It yanked his helmet off and knocked him out cold. couldn't do anything for 2 weeks because his face was so swollen and bruised. i have a reminder on my helmet also to duck when you come out of the cave.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    sorry, wrong forum

nOOb
    May 2008
    Just got back from South Dakota and Colorado, first time mountain biking in either state. I did all the fun stuff around Colorado Springs area that I could find on my new Redline 29er (D660). I had just finished riding everything I could in Palmer Park, I rode the easy stuff and the intermediate stuff with my gf. She was afraid so I did the hardest stuff myself, and met her in the parking lot. On the ride down the dirt/gravel road from the upper part I took my hands off the bars, reached around back for something out of my rear packet and looked at her to make sure she was there. She hollered "look out there's a car" and I reacted foolishly and grabbed all front brake with my free hand. I landed just in front of the car, the horrified woman got out and was all frantic, and my gf was too. I got back up as quick as I could, made sure the bike was rideable, and took off quickly out of embarrassment.
    I guess the irony is that I'm riding all these hard trails, and I bail out on a flat smooth road.
    A couple quick pics, since everyone like fresh road rash

(The worst part came later, we were making s'mores and she was using a fork to roast the marshmallows over the grill. I ate one of the fork and burned my lower lip, that was actually the worst pain that night)
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    OH YEAH! MEAT!! Looks deeeeeeelicious!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Was on simple climb, front wheel on a embedded rock rear on trail & lost bal. falling on my side, wrist taking the blow. Fractured & Bruise on my pride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Lamest injury I've ever had was riding along a pretty flat sectioon of the trail with a series of smooth s-bends, with a wide, smooth left turn at the end. It had rained some the day before, but nothing big, and this trail dries quickly. I go around the left turn, and there's a patch of mud as I'm hitting the apex. Since it was a blind turn, I didn't even have time to think "Oh s***!!!!" before I hit it and my tires lose grip and I go completely horizontal. I hit the ground while still straddling the bike, and when I do hit the teeth on the big chainring bit right into the back of my calf, tearing about 10 or 12 4-5 inch gashes in my leg. I then have to finish the remaining 4 miles with blood dripping down my leg. the cuts were pretty bad, but nothing some gauze and antibiotic cream can't fix. The lame part came when my fiance saw it. She "grounded" me from my bike for the next week.
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (Stolen). I hope you break both kneecaps of the jerk who stole you.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast