Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
    Took a little bump going into the P lot at a local H ware store and landed in a little gravel. Lost it and took all the skin off ever knuckle on my left hand sept for two knuckles down to the bone.
    "Don't give up, Never give up!"

mtnjam
    Very lame bike injury here.

Happened on Tuesday on my ride home from work.

I've ridden the same route now for the last couple of months, but today was different.
    I turned off of one of the streets on my route home onto a sidewalk that is bordered by fences. I was trying to pass a pedestrian (he kindly let me pass) when all of a sudden the left side of my handlebar barely caught one of the fenceposts. This impact unclipped my right foot and knocked the chain off the chainring and the rest is shown in the photo. I got home and first aided it (luckily I work in a hospital so I have a nice first aid kit). Went back to work the next day, got a tetanus shot and hopefully am on the road to recovery.

Time to work on the bike...

watch out I'll bail

I got a new one.

Well, I'm bummed!! Can't do anything untill middle of august. Stupid lame injury. Who knew you could fracture your KIDNEY!!!

Two sundays ago I was out with the fam and my buddy and his son. It was raining when we got to the trailhead but it was starting to clear. Plus the wifey hadn't ridden in the rain so off we all went.

Riding was awesome! We hit pine tree to sinkhole to marshmellow to pintree then crossed the road and headed for the vortex so the kids could hit the DJ's. All was great. Tonia, my wife hadn't seen the pit and all the cool jumps and stuff so down there we went. Went off ramp #1 no prob. She missed it. So I did it again felt great. I said want to see #2? She said if you feel up to it. Off I went to get some speed and space.

Hit about 14-15mph started the approach. As soon as I hit the lip my hands came off the bars, it was wet still. Nosed it about 15 feet up and out. Front end hit hard. Went over the bars, landed flat on my back on a small rock with bike still clipped in. Did another frontflip, bike is hurdling towards me from above. Caught it and tossed it asside.

I layed there. Checked all appendages, ok nothing broken. Slight pain in back and side. I can hadle that. Get up check bike some stuff is out of wack. I throw it on my shoulder and climb back up said jump. Bend some stuff back so we can ride back to trailhead. At this point I don't feel too bad. We ride back taking quickest route. 1/2 mile from PL chain breaks. Good Gosh, someone hates me today!

Get back and loaded, head home. I took some advil and drank a beer to try to take the edge off. Ate dinner. About 10 o'clock start getting ready for bed. Go to use the bathroom, NOTHING BUT BLOOD!!!!! Not good!!!!! Well, lets go to the emergency room.

To make the rest of the story short, got right in and they tell me after a CT that I fractured my kidney!!! What?!?!?!? And, it may have to come out!?!?!?! I see the doc and he tells me that they are going to try keeping me still for a while. What's a while? Three weeks in bed, at the hospital. What?!?!?!?

I'm am soooooo bummed. After two weeks he says I have improved tremendously and I can go home if I take it easy for a couple more weeks. This sucks.

So I got home saturday and have been bored silly ever since. That's the story of how I crushed my kidney. Don't try this at home kids.

Getting a Ct in 4 weeks. If it looks good I'm cleared. It's going to be a long July/August.

Sorry for the long post, had to share.

Seek first to understand, before being understood. -Me

http://www.omba.org/

Peein' blood is bad. Ouch!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    we had a team ride for our hockey team, we were on top of the ridge we ride and its raining like hell and ligntening like hell and all that funn sh!t, so we get on the road and shoot back down and we were kind of racing cause we are all like 16-18 and dumb. well near the bottom there and two wooden bridges, both on curves, well one of the kids, very unexpierenced at riding brakes and turns about 15 feet before the bridge, he hydro planes on his bike, then skids on his calfs, he slides for about 35 feet and slams into the guardrail(he was in 3rd) and we all go over and see how he is, he gets up, )unschathed other than a little circle about 1 inch across) and gets on his bike looks at us and says "it was only a discraction" and wins the race, lets just say we were all phased

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

I must win something for this one

So I think I win the lame backyard mechanic award I was adjusting my stupid BB7's this weekend and had the wheel spinning slowly to try to get rid of a little pad rub, so i was adjusting the caliper and my index finger went into the rotor OUUUUUUUUCH took a good dig into the tip of my finger, lost half the finger nail and gained 4 stitches..

so the moral of the story is spin wheel, stop wheel, adjust caliper, spin wheel, stop wheel, adjust caliper and so on

mtbr member
    I just cut myself on the chain ring trying to tighten my pedals. Nothing too serious. At least this means I'll probably never do it again 'cause I'll be very paranoid whenever I tighten pedals.

thats not to steep is it?
    got a gash in my thumb and 5 stitches from jamming my thumb in between the rotor and the caliper when my wheel was spinning
    07' fsr xc pro
    06' bighit2
    05 hardrock comp set up as a dj bike
    02 fat boy hemi

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Testing the mettle of a new rear, I decide to really push it through a turn. Rear holds, front skids out, I go down... It was very surreal watching the my knee split just below the cap, thats for sure! 2 miles to the end of the trail, then 1/2 mile to the hospital (gotta love the Fells!) where I got 4 stitches and a knee immobilizer, no riding for 10 days. My favorite part was either ripping off my sleeves and bottom of my shirt on the trail to create a Survivorman style bandage - or - while the nurse was scrubbing my un-anesthetized knee, I asked "whats that yellow stuff?" -- "oh, thats just some of your fat coming out..." First major mtb crash, and my first time getting stitches.. woo hoo!?

Out there
    Aug 2006
    So my skinny young buddy Mike is helping me build a jump track on Sunday, and he decides to go fetch some boulders in the tractor to help form the start mound. Only he doesn't have a pry bar to lever them into the bucket, so he lifts them bodily. (I couldn't even move them). By Tuesday, he couldn't breathe, and had to go to the emergency room, fearing he'd destroyed his back or lungs... turns out he strained his back and diaphragm.

The (female) doctor gave him two pieces of advice. "Get a stone fork for the tractor. And don't try to do the work of a labourer with the body of a poet".
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Out riding one night by myself and flying down a quick rocky hill, (not paying attn. as I ride this route all the time), I somehow end up off the trail on the side of the mtn. I cant get back on the trail (later learned I had a flat) and over the handlebars I go. Broken rib, tore a mole off my knee that I had been meaning have removed anyway, various scrapes.

Learning how to ride clipless...I wasnt a quick learner. I was out riding with a bf and we stopped. I was feeling good, he couldnt keep up with me, so I felt even better. We took off, and I'm a little gung ho. My foot doesnt clip in, but I think it is. After I have reached a good speed, my foot flies forward, gets caught in the wheel (breaking some spokes) and catapults me over the handlebars onto my chest. I was knocked senseless and breathless. It must have looked pretty bad, because the people hiking and my bf started screaming "call an ambulance!" I got scars from the fall, but still finished the ride.

Then there were the dreaded time clipless pedals which I were convinced hated (or loved) me. Learning how to ride on the rocks in az was no picnic. I was in good shape from road biking and running, so I tended to ride faster than my skill level could handle. Do you know how embarassing it is to lay bloody on the side of a rock or trail attached to your bike, and having to ask a hiker to unclip your feet for you? It happened more than once.

On the tri bike, I remember a pair of ti times I had that also hated me. I remember finishing the riding part of a race and going through the chute with the officials yelling GET OFF YOUR BIKE. DISMOUNT NOW! But I couldnt! They finally had to catch me and hold me upright. Even they had trouble getting my feet out of those blasted things.

Then there was the time I was riding alone in Cali. I meet some friends and I follow behind. We turn on a hairpin turn with a big dropoff on one side and the steep mtn. on the other side. As I look into the deep gulley on the dropoff, I distinctly remember thinking "boy it would suck to fall down there"...and then I do! I have no idea what happened. I really dont have much memory of the event. I remember coming to, laying on my back and in serious pain. My bike is hanging above me in the trees. I collect my thoughts and think that my friends will come back for me. Little did I know, but they thought I had taken a different trail. After awhile, I think I hear a snake. I realize that I have to get out and that no one is coming back for me. I was in so much horrible pain. I limped 2-3 miles down the mtn. side in the dark, crying, all bloody and bruised. I get to a fence separating the mtn. parks from suburbia. I somehow get over the fence, and knock on a ladies door. She thought I had been in a car accident. I go to the ER where I experience morphine for the first time. I lucked out with very bad cuts and bruises but no broken bones. My entire lower back was one big hematoma. My bf and his buddies hiked back to get my bike at 2 AM. Whatever I had done to my back or pelvis was not good. I couldnt walk for 3-4 days. The pain was awful. When I finally could start riding lightly on the road, I couldnt put my foot down when unclipping for weeks. The pressure from my body weight on the pavement caused excrutiating pain in my pelvis/back. I had to ride in circles at intersections. I probably shouldve followed up to find out what was wrong, because I bet I did crack something, but it healed nonetheless.

watch out I'll bail
    Well, I'm BAACKK!!!. Actually healed in about 5 weeks. 1 week faster than the doc thought I would. I'm trying to get a team for a relay endurance race the second. I'll let you know how it goes.

Guess I got strong kidneys.

Seek first to understand, before being understood. -Me

http://www.omba.org/

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    purchased a palomino 3 years ago and test rode it as soon as i got home, rode around the block and suddenly a dog races out of one of my neighbors garage headed straight at me. i instinctively grip my left brake lever hard ( bad thing to do). leaving me airbourne
    (my first endo) landing on my chest, hands and knees, with the bike landing on me right after. and the dog, licking me in the face with her tail wagging.

mtbr member
    I haven't had time to read everyone's lame injury but I bet I have the best one. I was riding a rails-to trails trail in Mineral Point Pa today showing my 8yr old brother how to do a wheelie. Well I got a little carried away and got to a high speed to show him my bunny hop skills. Somehow the front tire slid on the landing and I went over the bars. I ended up in the emergency room getting stones picked out of both hands and knees, and getting 32 stitches in my calf for where the chainring cut into me. Although I am in pain now, my pride is hurt worse than anything. Of course there was a large crowd of about 6 senior citizens behind us to get a good view of everything!!!

Out there
    Aug 2006
    OK, this is stupid. I just survived seven days of black diamonds in the Rockies and returned home having only fallen once, and that only resulted in a minor bruise. The day after I got back I was riding across my (huge) lawn and suddenly the bike started to do the strangest thing... slowly sliding out from under me as if pulled by an invisible hand. I crashed to the ground and tore a tendon in my thumb.

Turned out I'd laid a hose through the grass to water my dirt jumps and while I was away the grass grew up and hid it. I was riding along *almost* parallel, so when my wheel hit the hose, it tracked along the hose instead of the direction I wanted it to go.

DOH!
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    My lamest one was when one day it was about 100 degrees with a heat index around 110 so me being the genius that I am decided to take my full face. A few miles in I had to take it off I was overheating fast. So I drapped it over my bars and decided it was too hot for a ride today and rode out on the easy trails. Of corse I forgot my gloves. Every bump I hit it chaffed my hand right where my thumb is. By the time I got out My hand was bleeding. LAME!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeKilla
    That's nothing to sitting on your bike in a hallway in front of your friends. showing them how clipless pedals work, when your handlebars turn and WHAM! down you go onto the floor in a pile.

D
    My hallway wipe-out was after a quick 10 mile ride and some grocery shopping. I had bags of food hanging from the bars, my camelbak on one shoulder with helmet attached, and my bookbag on the other shoulder. It was a long hallway with lots of doors and mine was on the end, so I set one foot to a pedal for a graceful scooter-style coast down the hall. The eggs caught in the front wheel and it threw me sideways over the bars into the neighbor's door. They came out to find me and my yardsale wedged against their door, lying in a puddle of eggs, bleeding from a doorknob-to-forehead wound with a sprained ankle. The hallway was so tight and I had so much crap with me that I couldn't even extracate myself from the bike frame without crawling into their apartment.

Of course, they were having a party with half of the people in the building.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Mine are fairly small...

First one was when i first started riding..
    I was on a friends bike, which happened to be way to big. I had the gears maxed out going up a huge hill. I couldn't make it up, and the bike was to big to just jump off. Got a nice lil chainring tattoo.

Second was when i just got my new bike. I didn't quite get my front wheel over a log, and accidently hit my front brake at the same time. The new bike had hydraulic disks. OTB, no real injuries though.

mtbr member

How lame is this....

I spent last Friday at Highland Mountain with a few buddies of mine.My first time DH'ing and riding lifts with the bike. Started riding the lifts as soon as the opened at 10am. Took a short half hour break for lunch. Continued riding for the rest of the day. At 4:45pm the lift attendant informed us that this would be the final run for us. Up we went. Three quarters of the way down I bailed on a skinny. Foot landed on a rock. Rock dislodged. Ankle twisted. Damn. Less than a minute "out of the woods" (pun intended) from a perfect day.

Spent Saturday morning in the ER. X-rays showed a chipped bone. Visiting the ortho tomorrow for a more detailed description of what I've done to myself and how long I'll be off the bike.

Update: Ortho Doc said I have a severe sprain and my ligament chipped the bottom of my Fibula. Out of work till Nov.1st. Now the good news... doc said that as soon as I'm up to it, start light pedaling! It will be good PT! WooHoo! Doctors orders....out of work and on the bike!!!
    Last edited by romar; 10-16-2007 at 04:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    when i had my dirt bike, i made a very crude jump.i had been riding for a while and i went towards the jump. i hit the side of the jump with my foot peg, falling with the very heavy dirt bike landing on my ankle. getting the bike off of me sucked, i had to twist to get the levelage to lift it. every time i tried (Took me like 10 tries, i was in like 5 grade) i thought i was gonna snap my ankle off.

Hairy man
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkheadedbug
    OK, this is stupid. I just survived seven days of black diamonds in the Rockies and returned home having only fallen once, and that only resulted in a minor bruise. The day after I got back I was riding across my (huge) lawn and suddenly the bike started to do the strangest thing... slowly sliding out from under me as if pulled by an invisible hand. I crashed to the ground and tore a tendon in my thumb.
    My dad does backcountry ski trekking, tons of downhill skiing, and iceclimbing. A couple winters ago he crossed his tips while doing some classic Cross Country skiing in the golf course next to his house. Broke both bones in his shin.
    We all get it in the end.

extxn
    Aug 2007

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Stupid is as...

I originally posted this on the "worst biking injury" thread, but it really belongs here

Not even out on the trail yet
    While waiting for my ten-year-old to helmet up and come with me on a ride a couple of years back I wheelied up the alley uphill past the house just to pass the time-second trip through I accidentally hit the trigger shift when I wheelied and jacked it down a gear. Needless to say, the extra leverage translated to a hi-ho Silver moment, sending the bike upward past my face. Wasn't ready when touchdown came, and hyperextended my right knee to the point that I came down looking at my shin. Swelled up like a soccer ball. Couple of xrays showed nothing cracked or dislocated, but the MRI showed a torn ACL and when the swelling went down, hurt like a mother to walk on for a couple of months. Turns out riding more helps strengthen the joint (surgery not an option right now) and that excuse gets me out more. I've already been told I won't be riding in the snow and ice this winter-better look for a trainer//

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Got my first injury since I started cycling seriously again this year and it happened on a bike lane pavement. I was riding past this construction site when I saw two pipes about 5-6 inches in diameter laid across the path. I thought I could take them but my front tyre hit the 2nd pipe and slipped, causing me to go crashing into the metal barricade surrounding the construction site. Bashed my shin against the bike frame and my water bottle holder was smashed in the process and I think my pedal's creaking now. Wasn't hurt too bad but I couldn't walk or stand or cycle for a few minutes. Luckily no pretty girls were around to witness my embarrassment, otherwise I would have serious ego damage.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkheadedbug

Turned out I'd laid a hose through the grass to water my dirt jumps and while I was away the grass grew up and hid it. I was riding along *almost* parallel, so when my wheel hit the hose, it tracked along the hose instead of the direction I wanted it to go.

DOH!
    I have a little drop off, about 18", beside my driveway. I was putting my bike away after a ride & rode onto the lawn to take a run at the drop. I hit the water meter that was hidden in the grass I couldn't be bothered mowing & went OTB as my neighbours were pulling in next door

mtbr member
    My first real crash happend when I was about 10. I had old supercycle 5 speed road bike that I used to get to school. I lived on a hill so I could get some serious speed from the driveway. As I was racing down the hill en-route to school I took the left turn at the bottom. I was daydreaming about being some "superstar bike racer" so I cut the corner nice and tight, came out wide to keep the momentum, put my head down and pedaled for all I was worth. About 50 yards up was a Ford Cargo van parked at the side of the road. I hit that thing square on and crushed in the rear doors. My front wheel looked like a doughnut with a bite out of it once the owner pried it from under his bumper. The bike was wedged under the bumper but still standing as if someone was sitting on it. I ended up with a 6 inch line that swelled out about an inch as a result of the window trim. A sore shoulder and a bruised ego. My dream girl at the time (Sarah) live about 5 more houses down and all I wanted to do was hide behind the van incase she came out to go to school.
    There are no "mistakes"; only learning curves.

Bread Man
    my worst (stupid) one was riding down a paved hill behind a friend of mine going pretty quick when I look over a see a nice looking young lady watching us. When I look back my buddy has stopped in front of me so I slam into him, fly about 15 feet in the air and on landing break my foot in 7 places...

This btw was the beginning of 23 broken bones over the next few years, this being the dumbest (skateboarding, bmx, atv/mx racing etc), damn I miss my teenage years and no fear of death.
    It is better to destroy
    Than to create what is meaningless

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yeah so I'll give my 2 cents...I was stopping for a little break on anderson truck trail in San Diego. I was with my buddy and we were just looking out over SD and we began to hit the trail again and I stomped on my pedal and miss-stepped and the pedal (with little spikes on it) flew around and stuck into my shin. My buddy just turned around and saw the pedal in my shin and laughed. I was like...how did that happen...and wow this hurts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    ive actually got 2 because evedintly im a bad learner.

first time i was tryin out clipless pedals for the first time and got fancy and tryed to wheelie and went a little to far back and didnt unclip because i was only on the pedals for 10 min. and forgot to do so, the result was a broken humerus and wrist.

the second time was about a month ago when my buddy and i went out in the yamaha rhino to tear up a local spot (middle of no where new mexico) and it was awsome so on the way back as i was drivin i thought it would be a good idea to have my fren slingshot me into a little drop by the arroyo so i hoped on my bike and started to get used to towing. after about 5 min i thought i was ready so my friend got it up to 15 mph and i let go of the rope and launched off the drop (about 7 ft.) i hit the soft dirt below and came to a dead stop soon as my wheels hit the ground. i went over the bars and landed on my ankle tearing 2 ligaments and a tendon. ive been on crutches since the surgery and have no idea when ill be back on the bike cause im to scared to here the answer.
    so after both of these i starting to realize im lacking some common sense haha

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i recommend a nice pair of platform pedals and 5-10's. you will get the feeling of clips with the grip but you will release much better and easier

but in the mean time, GET BETTER

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    When I was around 10 years old I inherited my dad's older roadie. I was standing next to it just holding it after a bit of riding and all of a sudden i lose balance. I was standing on the right side of the bike and it starts leaning left. I stick my right foot as much inwards as possible to grab the bike. By doing so I stuck my foot right under the large cog in the front and as the bike leaned over and fell the cog left 3 nice and deep gashes in my shin.

Crap that hurt.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Lamest biking injury ever, if there's an award I may have it cinched.

Well about a week ago I went down to a local school to give my dog some exercise. There is a large fenced in running track that is perfect to ride a bike around while the dog runs full throttle, along side or in front of me. After about four laps of full on running he was pretty pooped out. So I took the opportunity to practice my wheelie technique. After several successful lengthy wheelie rides, I am feeling fairly confident. Let me take this opportunity to warn others not to attempt riding a wheelie while clipped in. As it is next to impossible to unclip while up on a wheelie. Although I have been there done that on many occasions without incident. I grew up riding motocross and wheelies were my forte. I never did conquer the trick of doing them on a mountain bike. Twenty to thirty feet max on a bike. Where as many years ago I was clocked at riding a wheelie a mile and one tenth on a motorcycle. This particular time for some reason I didn't tap on my back brake before going over backwards. I went over backwards while still connected to the bike. I apparently [no memory of it] reached out with my arms to break my fall and landed on my right wrist. I didn't hear it break due to all the noise of the bike hitting the pavement. But I sure felt it. My wrist hand and forearm immediately blew up like a balloon, and turned black / purple. After yelling out a few choice @#$%@ words in serious pain. I immediately picked up the bike and checked for damage. A torn seat was all. Now that is true sickness. Off to the E.R. and sure enough it's SHATTERED into several peices. The fracture is into the joint so they are going to have to do an M.R.I. to see if they have to operate. If the bone is effecting the cartilage. Meanwhile I have a fiberglass cast from my hand to my elbow. The best case scenario I am in this cast from six to eight weeks. If they need to operate, who knows what the prognosis is going to be. I am right handed so doing everything left handed is new to me. Even posting this is a challenge as I am typing left handed and using the mouse left handed. The moral of the story “do not ride wheelies while clipped in”. Off to take two more Vikodin. An UPDATE to this story in this thread.
    When good days go bad.....
    Cheers, Jay
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 07-26-2014 at 12:16 PM.
    Progress: Just because we have always done it that way is no reason to keep doing it that way.

Gone Bamboo
    This has nothing to do with bikes but it is my stupidest "incident" ever.

Me and my dad had gone to a friends house and when we arrived my friends dad was outside "tilling" the ground with a tilling machine (chopping up the dirt) and so me and my friend talked for a minute inside and got something to drink and came back out and we were all standing next to the tiller talking and we were telling them we were about to head to the park and my friends dad warned me that the tiller was hot and then I leaned over with my hand right onto it. DUMB It was a bad burn and I went home without spending any time with my friend, needless to say I felt stupid because I did that right infront of them right after they said not to. :/

Another time like that there are these hand poles on the stairs in the mall and I KNOW that I can clear it but I was wearing too baggy of pants that day and I racked my nuts on the handrail. I know I can jump over the handrail+stairs, but not with baggy pants. :P

With bikes, I'd have to say I started hating V-brakes when I was riding around the city heading to the pool to check if the same friend was there I was coming off the gutters into a sidewalk and I guess I thought I was going to fast at the curb and I hit the front brake (guess the back brake didn't work) really hard and endoed myself right into the curb.

Many times going around a sandy curve falling (even on rollerblades). The typical ass and nuts to the back tire (when I was younger on my old cheapo huffy SS I liked to sit kinda off the seat I don't know it was comfortable but once with my friends I guess I was leaning back too far and did just that wrecking out on the widewalk next to a bank.

Oh and of course there was when I was just a kiddie and tried the stupid ol' "walk the dog on your bike trick" when I was only like 7 and I don't know I made it to the next coul'de'sac and I guess my dog saw something and took off which basically threw me to the pavement. Bunch of scrapes and bruises. The neighbor lady tended to my wounds with rubbing alcohol, fun.

No matter how tempting jumping and not having to worry about your feet coming off the pedals may sound appetizing, but I use to do that without clipless as a kid off a dirt barrier next to a pizza hut and blood donation place. I don't like the idea of not being able to release my feet from something, screw that.
    National Economic Security And Reformation Act

It's soil, not dirt!
    When I was a young, dumb, and broke I was riding my bike home from work at night with no lights (that's dumb and broke coming into play). In order to avoid getting ticketed for no lights I was trying to ride incognito on the sidewalk (just dumb this time). While riding at a pretty good clip (decent visibility from streetlights and late so no pedestrian danger) a gust of wind blows an unlatched gate open right in front of me! Endoed right over it. My hand must have smacked the gate when I hit it and I ended up with a broken hand and a cast for six weeks.

Moral of the story: Get through the young, dumb, broke part of your life as quickly as possible.

Its all sketch

Cool-blue Rhythm Front Flip

I had just gotten a new bike with disk brakes after having a v brake bike for 2 years. I was goind down a steep rocky down hill and was spinning out with the rear brake. So I made the smart descisoin to squeeze the front brake hard. I ended fliping over the handle bars, getting smacked in the back by the seat and tire, landing in loose rocks and sliding 2 more feet down the hill. And to top it off my bike flew away and smashed into a tree.

Fueled by meat n potatoes
    Mar 2008
    Well, it was bound to happen. I finally have a lame injury story, haha.
    I was out getting some road miles in to get back into summer shape and I came upon a road that I had gone down countless times. There is a set of railroad tracks that cross it at a sweeping 45 degree angle. Common sense says to cross them at as close to a 90 degree angle as possible, but at that same instant my brain farted a big stinky one. I "cross" the RR tracks at 17mph and the front tire goes left with the tracks and my body continues forward and down. All said and done my knee was bleeding all over the place, my right pinky nuckle was bleeding and my pride was severely bruised. Luckily I keep a well stocked first-aid kit in my Camelbak.
    That brings me to two points of advice that I myself with always follow from now on no matter how much farting my brain wants to do:
    1 - Always cross RR tracks at a right angle (duh)
    2 - Make sure the first aid kit is stocked because you just never know when you will need it. I was eight miles from home and couldn't imagine trying to get back with my knee still bleeding everywhere.

You may all laugh at me now.

Happy in Happy Valley
    Jun 2008
    Ok, so here's my entry. I don't know if it belongs here or in the worst crashes thread, but I'll put it here because it was basically due to my own stupidity.

First, a little backstory: I have type I diabetes, and I use an insulin pump to control my blood sugar. For those who don't know, when exercising, muscles use sugar as fuel, drastically reducing the need for insulin. Too much insulin will cause low blood sugar, impairing muscle and brain function as they both need sugar. Symptoms begin with loss of fine motor control, light headedness and cold sweats, and eventually lead to loss of consciousness. Generally when I ride I reduce the amount of insulin my pump delivers to compensate for the sugar my muscles will be using. I've been doing this for years without trouble. OK, enough biology...

So anyway, last summer I did alot of riding in an abandoned rock quarry about 3 miles from my apartment. It's a pretty decent park, fair amount of trails, good mix of technical climbing and descending. I had a bit of a problem with tearing knobs off my tires as everything in this place was basically jagged bedrock, but whatever. On my last trip, I, idiot that I am, forgot to adjust my insulin pump. Last thing I can remember I'm riding uphill towards a fork in the trail. Next thing I know I'm riding in a part of the park I don't recognize, and I feel a little funny. I keep riding, eventually I cross a trail I know, and I find my way back to the car. At this point, I don't realize anything is wrong. I load my bike on the roof rack, and get in the car. As I go to pull out, I realize I can't see very clearly. I touch my face, and my glasses are missing. What the hell? I flip down the visor mirror, and HOLY SH**. Not only are my glasses missing, but so is HALF MY DAMN FACE. SH**. I'm in shock-how could I crash without realizing it? Later I realize my helmet is cracked and both my riding gloves are soaked in blood.

Anyway, a friend of mine is kind enough to bring me to the ER. A doctor was with me before I even had a room because my face looked like freaking Freddy Kurger's. They CT my head because of the memory loss, and I have no concussion, no broken bones. I tweaked my mid-back pretty good (still hurts on occasion), I needed a few stitches, alot of gauze for my heavily abraded face, neck and shoulder, and that was all. I got lucky to have mostly flesh wounds.

So for the next month at work everyone I ran into would ask 'what happened?!' and I got to explain to them how I really wasn't too sure. People I had never met before would come to my desk to see the kid with half a face

To this day I still don't know what I did. I like to think I got mauled by a bear, or that I was dropping into the quarry pit from the rim (~ 25 foot drop ). In reality I probably just tipped over and decided to see what it was really like to be a brake pad. I'm just surprised after whatever happened I managed to get back on the bike and ride again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frs1661
    Ok, so here's my entry. I don't know if it belongs here or in the worst crashes thread, but I'll put it here because it was basically due to my own stupidity.

First, a little backstory: I have type I diabetes, and I use an insulin pump to control my blood sugar. For those who don't know, when exercising, muscles use sugar as fuel, drastically reducing the need for insulin. Too much insulin will cause low blood sugar, impairing muscle and brain function as they both need sugar. Symptoms begin with loss of fine motor control, light headedness and cold sweats, and eventually lead to loss of consciousness. Generally when I ride I reduce the amount of insulin my pump delivers to compensate for the sugar my muscles will be using. I've been doing this for years without trouble. OK, enough biology...

So anyway, last summer I did alot of riding in an abandoned rock quarry about 3 miles from my apartment. It's a pretty decent park, fair amount of trails, good mix of technical climbing and descending. I had a bit of a problem with tearing knobs off my tires as everything in this place was basically jagged bedrock, but whatever. On my last trip, I, idiot that I am, forgot to adjust my insulin pump. Last thing I can remember I'm riding uphill towards a fork in the trail. Next thing I know I'm riding in a part of the park I don't recognize, and I feel a little funny. I keep riding, eventually I cross a trail I know, and I find my way back to the car. At this point, I don't realize anything is wrong. I load my bike on the roof rack, and get in the car. As I go to pull out, I realize I can't see very clearly. I touch my face, and my glasses are missing. What the hell? I flip down the visor mirror, and HOLY SH**. Not only are my glasses missing, but so is HALF MY DAMN FACE. SH**. I'm in shock-how could I crash without realizing it? Later I realize my helmet is cracked and both my riding gloves are soaked in blood.

Anyway, a friend of mine is kind enough to bring me to the ER. A doctor was with me before I even had a room because my face looked like freaking Freddy Kurger's. They CT my head because of the memory loss, and I have no concussion, no broken bones. I tweaked my mid-back pretty good (still hurts on occasion), I needed a few stitches, alot of gauze for my heavily abraded face, neck and shoulder, and that was all. I got lucky to have mostly flesh wounds.

So for the next month at work everyone I ran into would ask 'what happened?!' and I got to explain to them how I really wasn't too sure. People I had never met before would come to my desk to see the kid with half a face

To this day I still don't know what I did. I like to think I got mauled by a bear, or that I was dropping into the quarry pit from the rim (~ 25 foot drop ). In reality I probably just tipped over and decided to see what it was really like to be a brake pad. I'm just surprised after whatever happened I managed to get back on the bike and ride again.
    Scary, real scary. I supposed that half bottle of Everclear had nothing to do with it

Most of the diabetics I know get a better warning when their sugar is dropping.

You might want to check out-

http://www.type1rider.org/
    To the troll mobile, away...

Happy in Happy Valley
    Jun 2008
    Nah, I have that much everclear before most rides....

Generally I am very aware of my sugar level; IDK what happened this time. There was probably an intermediate period I can't remember when I chose to be stupid and ignore my body.

Thanks for the link.

Card-carrying wotmeister
    So, his one time I was at a biking camp and we were doing a little repair session on some old bikes we found in the barn.

My bike that I was working on was a ten-speed circa the 1960s. It had a wheel that needed truing and a flat tire, so I of course fixed them.

I took it out to see if it was okay and wisely decided to jump a speedbump. Took off fine, but as I landed, one of the pedals broke off and the frame snapped at the head tube.

So, after I landed, I had a bike with no fork, one wheel, one pedal, and serious pain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    My stupid story: Last week I went for a nice 12 ish mile ride that went great for me, until it was time to sign out on the log book. Most log books are in a wodden box with a hinged lid right? So I stop, take off my helmet, filp open the lid and lean it on the ply wood board behind it and start signing out when what should happen... A gust of wind slams the lid (a nice 14" by 14" by 1" chuck of wood) onto my head. I start cusing and my friends are laughing their a**es off, I reach up and find that the back of my head is bleeding and already starting to bleed. My friends are still laughing when one of them points out the fact that there is a "Helmets Required" sign right behind where the lid was leaning. I ended up being fine. Also in an unrelated topic: heed the warning on disk brakes about the disks getting extremely hot; they do (and my finger can prove it).

mtbr member
    Well,twisted my ankle getting the bike out of the garage .Fell on my back in one of my dogs Still i managed to putt the bike back in the garage and wait for the wife(nurse) and get me to the ER.Ankle's do hurt when twisted,don't they??

mtbr member

Idea!

iv'e got two.
    first, I was doing some winter riding by my house. the pavment seemed okay so i cruised to about 20 mph and started going down a hill. right about halfway down, i hit some ice and the bike flew out from under me. my a$$ and the bike became 2 different units as we scraped down the hill together. I still have a scar on my butt from that.

That summer i got the idea to try to take a stunt bike, pegs and all, mtbing. Its a 1way trail and when i got to the end i noticed that i had a flat. since i didn't want to push all the way back I stood on the back pegs to reduce weight on the frnt rim. As expected but not thought , i came to the 1st turn and crashed because there was no weight on the rim. When I crashed, my foot got caught in the rear rim and i broke my toe. It hurt, but the next day i buddy taped the toe and kept riding only this time I took my Fisher and not the wally world POS. I still bashed my foot a few more times but i got over it quikly.

Faceplant King
    Jun 2008
    I had just finished going up a pretty technical climb and when I got to the top of the hill I took a second before getting ready to go down a series of drops. In doing so, I got my back wheel caught sideways on a root so when I went to drop onto the ramp and into the drops I just went down sideways. I tumbled down the hill and ended up tangled in a huge bush that had some of that orange plastic construction fencing in it. I was alone and it was a weekday so no one came by. I was stuck in the bush for a half an hour before I could work my way out. Various cuts and bruises, including a nasty purple bulge right on my knee, but mostly just embarrassing to be caught in a bush for 30 minutes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Always rode BMX when I was younger. Pretty aggressive jumping stuff on the street but nothing to insane.

Well one day in the fall, I was hot and put my sweatshirt on my handlebars. Had to cross some grass and the shirt got tangled in the front tire, instantly locking it and shooting me over the handlebars. I handed on the ground, just slightly shaken up....

...until the bike tumbled after me, and the bolt on the rear hub slammed into the back of my head giving me a gash worthy of a handful of staples. That was fun

Quote Originally Posted by Locker537
    Always rode BMX when I was younger. Pretty aggressive jumping stuff on the street but nothing to insane.

Well one day in the fall, I was hot and put my sweatshirt on my handlebars. Had to cross some grass and the shirt got tangled in the front tire, instantly locking it and shooting me over the handlebars. I handed on the ground, just slightly shaken up....

...until the bike tumbled after me, and the bolt on the rear hub slammed into the back of my head giving me a gash worthy of a handful of staples. That was fun
    I was riding my first girl friend on the bars (she had put her sweater on the bars) and the sweater fell into the front tire. I landed on top of her on the pavement. It was not pretty and I felt sooo bad.

knock-knock...
    went off a flight of stairs on campus, there was a bench right at the bottom. i ended up hitting the back of the bench, flipping over and lying in the bench like a hobo. or like me every friday night. but anyway. walked over to er like 200 yards away. soo dumb.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg m.jpg (36.6 KB, 788 views)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skottt160
    went off a flight of stairs on campus, there was a bench right at the bottom. i ended up hitting the back of the bench, flipping over and lying in the bench like a hobo. or like me every friday night. but anyway. walked over to er like 200 yards away. soo dumb.
    Ouch. It looks like you could use some stitches. 5 if the doc is in a hurry, 7 if he's an artist.
    To the troll mobile, away...

Moooo!!!
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeebeans
    Sounds like something that my friend did. Bought a new Specialized and was a little overconfident on his first couple rides. Pulled them bars back and watched him slam into the ground *whap!*. Knocked the wind out of himself and apparently told me he felt like he was in labor. I've gotten the wind knocked out of me but sheesh didn't feel like labor.

--

The lamest injury that I can think of is the numerous times that I've missed my pedal and gave myself a few nice gashes in the shape of the pedals' spikes on the back of my calf. Anyone else ever done this before?

Heh I did this yesterday. I had just gotten clip pedals on the bike. I was talking to the wife as I came to a stop. Went to stand up nailed my calf yelped and fell over cause I couldn't unclip my other foot. Whats funny to me is I skated for 12 years broke 32 bones won tons of competitions, and I get on a mountain bike and feel invinceable again....
    I have such a bad feeling about all this :P

knock-knock...
    yeah i had a railroad up my face for a few weeks. 7 was the magic number.

also, the first few weeks of clip-ins are always a humbling experience. i remeber getting my front tire over logs, hooking my back tire, and just falling over sideways firmly attached to the bike. also trying to trackstand a light i jst kinda went over on my side fully clipped in at a busy intersection. that was a ... good... time

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Cool-blue Rhythm They call me "crash"

I really enjoy road racing. Criteriums are my favorite. But a few years ago I was badly injured in a May training race near Boston. I was right behind a bad crash - i managed to stop but the guy behind me didn't - hit me from behind and I landed hard on my right elbow breaking it badly. It required surgery and titanium pins to fix. Needless to say I was off the bike and out of racing for most of the summer. After 6 weeks I was allowed to ride again altho I had to wear this metal brace on my arm. Doctors orders were "easy riding ok but no racing".

Well I really missed competition but by the time I was riding again the road racing season was over, but I had this idea that I could do this local mountain bike race at the end of September that all my mtb'er friends told me was easy and non-technical, just a bunch of fire roads, no way to get hurt. Convincing my wife wasn't easy, but I finally convinced her that this would be "safe". Nothing to worry about.

So I bought this Cannondale hardtail off EBAY and trained really hard in the weeks leading up to the race. I showed up on race day and signed up for the 40 - 49 beginner division. I didn't pre-ride the course tho.

So the race starts - I sprint off the line and pretty much rode away from everyone. I was feeling pretty good about this and having a great time until - about a mile from the finish of the race I came to the top of a hill with steep dropoff and I couldn't see the downhill part of the trail. Common sense said slow down - ego said go fast. Ego won and I went flying over the top of the hill. Problem is that there was a strategically placed log jump halfway down the hiill. I had about 2 seconds to react and right about the time I was thinking that I should pull up on the handle bars my front tire hit the log and I went OTB. Landed hard in some loose rocks and felt a sharp pain in my right knee. I didnt have time to check that out because I could here the sounds of bikes coming up behind me so I jumped back on the bike and pedaled as hard as I could to the finish. So I enter the finishing chute - raise my arms in victory - only to notice a look of dismay on wifes face ( she was there with the camera to catch my first MTB race finish for posterity ). The NORBA official at the finish line said " hey man u r bleeding". I looked down to see my right leg below the knee covered in blood from a nasty gash. My right shoe was full of blood. I was also covered in dirt from the fall, had scratches on my face and my arm brace was scratched and dirty. Guess I looked pretty bad. So off to the hospital for stitches and lots of ribbing from my wife and friends.

Oh btw - the wednesday after the race I was hit by a car while on a road ride. No serious injuries but my bike was destroyed and another ambulance ride. Got a nice settlement from the drivers insurance company but my nickname is now "crash' and my wife threatened to sell my bikes.

I still love riding tho

Crash
    Last edited by CritBoy; 08-21-2008 at 12:50 PM.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast