Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    banned
    First, I am leaning in the hatchback.... WHAMMO... bad lift struts... the deck came down on my head. Headache immediately....

Second, not paying attention spinning some fine track. Tire shrubbed in some duff on the side of the trail, and onto lava rocks I went... on my shoulder and arm and hip. Pain... blood.

Next... Smacked the sack to the stem lightly, but ever so perfectly. I had to fetal. I tried to ride it off, but no. Didn't ever really know how I did it.

Third... Ripping down some great single and a "bug" flies into my mouth and down my throat. I thought about swallowing, but horked instead... Yellow jacket. It stung me in the BACK of the throat.

That was all on one ride 5 days ago. I still have a sore spot on my head. I have good arm, shoulder, and hip scabs to pick, and my throat is still sore from the sting, but I didn't die.

My sack is fine, so I guess all is fine really.

Double-metric mtb man
    I think my best one was bmx-ing as a kid. I hooked up with a couple older kids doing jumps and thought I could keep up or do better....so I tried.

Came off this fairly nice jump (amost a vertical for tricks), lose the pedals in mid air and come hard - I mean super hard - on the seat. When I extracted myself from the bike (or it from me) the older kids were all like "Did that hurt, dude?" I couldn't figure out why they'd ask and why the ball bearings hurt so much that I could barely stand... until I got off the bike, turned around and saw that I had shattered the seat into about a dozen pieces and torn my jeans where the end of the rails were left exposed.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Evil Genius
    That's nothing to sitting on your bike in a hallway in front of your friends. showing them how clipless pedals work, when your handlebars turn and WHAM! down you go onto the floor in a pile.

D
    I'm as bad as the Worst. But, thank God, I'm also as good as the Best.

mtbr member
    May 2004

i've got two..

1. (not so much an injury) post-ride, got the bike off the rack but had popped the trunk while in the car. Came around the other side of the car, but slipped on the curb (had just started to rain after the ride) so naturally i put my hands out to stop my fall. My right hand plants on the rear windshield and my torso slams into the open trunk... but the trunk slammed shut. When my right hand hit the windsheild it slid down the wet glass INTO the open hole behind the trunk. When the trunk slammed shut it pinned all four finger tips inside the trunk.. Luckily the trunk on my honda is flexible.. but my hand was jammed in the crack between the window and trunk. I was also still slidding off the back of the wet trunk in a super awkward position. i regained my footing, but my keys were in my right pocket-had to lay my body on the trunk on top of my hand, reach around to my left pocket and get the keys out but blindly fumble around for the key hole. i had a hell of a time getting the trunk open and my fingers out since i had to turn the key but also give enough room to let it open. that one was completely stupid. luckily no one was around..

2. this july 4th, came through a turn going super slow manualing. hit an odd transition in the turn and sent me over the back of my bike. As i went over the rear of the bike i started to stand up to try not to land on my tailbone-but was stepping off of my bike-somehow my left foot stuck on the pedal but didn't let loose until the very last second-planting on the ground and kept twisting until i felt and heard an audible POP. I hit the ground-no pain. Stood up and walked around trying to shake it off-knew something wasn't right. laid back down to get my bearings-thats when i noticed my left ankle kind of flopped to the one side. hmm. thats not right. Sat up and tested it again-again it happens-no pain but a odd clicking noise behind my left knee. I get up and get beside my bike and walk about a mile out of the woods. SLOW GOING. its hot out-i'm sweating, the damned insects are eating me alive. Finally get out to the ranger station-meet up with a guy checking traffic to slow them down on the loop. I get up beside him and ask him for some help. His reply "no i can't help i have to go to a high speed chase on the highway..." he puts his truck in drive and starts to roll away. I slam on the side of the truck and call him every name in the book-truck stops he rolls back and is super nice to me stating i was walking so well he thought i was asking for directions. Long story short-broke my fibula high just below my knee, and severely sprained my ankle. 6 weeks in a cast in the middle of summer. hot as all hell through july/august and my wife and i had JUST closed on a house. neat.

Ominus Spiritus
    Many moons ago we had a BMX park at chicopee ski club with some doubles. not mentioning any names but BRAD RANDELL had lost his nut on one side of the front hub and deciding a wing nut would do the trick flew towards the doubles for some narly air to have his front tire come off 8 feet over the gap and front forks dig in to a wicked front head slam. Brad are you still out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wing nuts bad!!!!!!!!!!!

Your bike is incorrigible
    In the early 90s, before I went to clipless, I smacked my shin on the pedal. I had a little gash, but it didn't look serious. As I was driving home, I looked at my foot. Blood was pooling around my sock. After cleaning up, I bought some extra large bandages and tape. A few hours after I had bandaged myself, I noticed I was dripping blood (I was leaving a trail of little dots). I went to the clinic, and the doc said I needed stitches. He was grossing out the nurse by prodding on some muscle that was sticking out of the gash. Big laughs all around. Anyway, I think he put in 11 stitches in all. The worst part was that it became infected and I had to go on antibiotics a week later. I had a nasty looking wound that was purple and festering.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Frozen dick, riding at -25 C. Danced around the living room for oh 25 mins.
    Warm shower was way to painful.

Wear wind tight pants.

mtbr member

highwall

I was checking out a new section of trail that skirts the allegheny river. I knew after riding on it that it was not made for bikes b/c the rocks were just too plentiful, big, and off camber. I hit a rock on a downhill slope and deadstopped the bike. I kept my ballance for about 5 seconds till i was frantically trying to get unclipped. Finally went down. Down a 15 foot embankment and rolled another 10 feet to the river. Scared the crap out of a guy fishing in a boat. I used my jedi skills to bounce/navigate my way through the rocks and boulders. Only gommered my knee a little. That fall should have broken something. My bike had fallen into a pine tree growing out of the embankment and I had to climb up to it. Needless to say I took my shinguards and arm guards off about 10 minutes prior b/c it was getting hot.

Same trail system I deadstopped the bike into a fallen log and flew off at a downward angle into a vcut ditch. My head stopped my fall into the side of the ditch. Then I rolled to the bottom for about 20 feet. baseballsized bruise on my elbow and forearm. I had a bruise from the top back of my shoulde to the top of my butt, and across the entire right side of my back. spine to armpit. Thats why I bought the arm guards and leg guards that I wasnt wearing on the recent spill b/c it was hot.
    Chance favors the prepared mind

Tdub
    Riding by myself this summer, I was heading up a slow ascent through baby-heads, hit one that sent my front tire unweighted, straight sideways. I was going about 5 mph, but was catapulted onto my bar ends when my handlebars turned sideways. If they were any less blunt, they would have impaled me, but instead they simply knocked the wind out of my chest and gave me great whiplash. I jumped up quickly because I couldn't breath and I almost thought my heart had stopped, I hit the sternum so hard. What I didn't know, is that I'd also been launched into a pile of cholla cactus (you might have to know Arizona riding to appreciate this). When I finally caught my breath, I realized I had cactus pods from my shoulder to my calf going up one side and particularly thick in the seat of my pants. Cholla is a wonderful cactus that basically you cannot touch without impaling yourself where ever you grab ahold....so I carefully lowered my shorts and stood naked on the trail picking what I could out of my baggies, just so I could get back on the bike. Good thing this heavily traveled trail was fairly light on that morning...I can't imaging the lame sight of me standing there in the buff picking cactus needles out of my various parts and pieces. Pretty much my lamest wreck!
    [SIZE="3"]"What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?"-Vincent Van Gogh[/SIZE]

meow
    I was flying down a ridge section of trail a couple of years ago and the last 12 inches of a rattler was crossing the trail just ahead of me. I didn't have time to slow down and ran over it's tail. 'Bout crapped myself, and the adrenaline injection propelled me even faster. All I could think was that I'd rather go OTB than see another rattler on this ride. Ten minutes later I felt a trickle of water running down my leg, looked down to find the bite valve on the camelback had popped off. I looked back under my arm to see where it was and for reasons that still escape me, grabbed two handfulls of brake. I flew through the air and landed on my chest, tore the cartilage between the ribs and sternum. It was a slow granny gear ride back to the parking lot, and I had to get someone else to put the bike on the roof rack for me. Ouch.

involuntary dismounter
    duuude! that sucks! i ran over my first rattler yesterday...i looked down and there it was...leisurely crossing the trail. and like you, i also 'bout crapped myself. screamed like a girl (but i am a girl...so it's ok), and picked up the pace. thankfully i did not eat $hit, but i understand...

hope everything heals quick!!!
    Solo Trail Explorer and Granny Gear Ninja!

friends will help you move, good friends will help you move a body...

Bum Buzzer
    When the cabbie cut me off - escalation - and I break my hand on his stinkin skull... as further evidenced by the following message, I concede to being a dumb-ass (part-time!)

Whack!

Bum Buzzer
    Oh - here ya go - look before you leap - a lesson learned.

Riding a route through a local manhattan park - some hi speed pavement to stir gaps, then a nice reatining wall drop about 5-7' -- maybe if I had looked first Id have seen the 10' long 1' diameter log laying across the tranny -- WOW -- crasharoony - herniated c6 and a sprained collarbone (my bones refuse to break, I keep tearing ligaments and it SUCKS)

meow
    I am a girl, and everything has healed just fine!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I was riding a POS Costco Mongoose bike thats rear derailleur didn't work so i was spinning around the block in a low gear, when all of a suddne, my leg fell into the front chainrings and my foot hit the ground, dragging me to a stop. I had a nice view of my bone, and i had to get stictches. it was disgusting because my sock bvecame all bloody too. I still have 5 nice little scars from the teeth going into my leg. Luckily didn't hurt at all because all the nerves were cut.
    I fetl like and idiot for a couple of weeks.

mtbr member
    Two weeks afer hip surgery I decided to take my new bike out for a ride. On the trail I decided to jump a small log and ended up crashing the bike and landed (full body weight) directly on my hip. I couldn't ride for a month after that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    This was quite a few years ago, back when I was a young buck, but I was urban riding my new mtb and came across a sideways I beam. You know, one that is laying like this: |--|... I figured I'd just wheelie hop OVER it, no big deal, I had the speed and the strength and the new MTB, right? Wrong. Wheelie up, Wheel down, right in the hole of the ibeam. Of course, this is a perfect launching position and speed. Endo launch, no helmet, no pads, no nothing (young and stupid), about 5 foot of asphalt skid on my hands and knees, and a nice long hike-a-bike back home due to the taco'd wheel...

Whee!

GASing
    1. I was staying in Little Cayman with my wife and another couple. They have these community bikes there - ancient fat tire coaster brake bikes that are you use to get around the island. My friend & I are constantly goofing off, and we spent the whole week trying to see who could do the best fishtail skid on pavement. On the last day we took a dirt road (crushed coral actually) to the other side of the island. I thought it would be a good place to lay down an awesome fishtail, so I got out of the saddle and did my best sprint to build up speed. I was moving along at a good click, when the chain derailed. Both my feet slipped off the pedals toward the front wheel and hit the ground. I flailed along for about 10 feet like this, feet skidding, losing control, with my balls crashing into the top tube the whole time, then something caught and I went flying over the bars. Of course I did not have on gloves or a helmet. The palms of my hands took the brunt of it. The crushed coral turned them into hamburger.

2. A bad El Nino had turned some of the usual ruts into deep gullies. I came flying around a corner and saw a 2 foot deep trench that had not been there a few days earlier. I got the front wheel over it, but it swallowed up the back wheel and stopped the bike dead. I went flying and landed in my side. I ended up with a bad bruise and road-burn. As I was painfully riding back, some barney came flying around a blind corner and ran me off the trail. I went over the bars again and landed right on my already injured hip. Ouch...
    Last edited by funkle; 10-05-2006 at 03:18 PM.

mtbr member
    I cut a big gash in my forehead when I built a little jump in my back yard in the snow one winter, and I hit my head on the clothesline, snapping it.

In my defense, the ice covered line was pretty much invisible against the backdrop of snow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Im an idiot

I was trying out my friends brand new specialized blur(with clets) and we both came to a stop(he was riding my bike) and i couldnt get my feet out of the clets and just slowly started to tip over down the hill(with rocks on it) still with the bike attached to my feet i grinded to a hault. it hurt so much cuts everywhere 6 stitches. my friend was cacking himself (until he saw that his brand new bike was now not so brand new and insted of the orange was now half silver and scratched. he was not a happy camper.(i paid 50 bucks to get it resprayed but so he was back to a happy camper.
    Regards
    Rolling Racer

I'm a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by rolling racer
    I was trying out my friends brand new specialized blur(with clets)
    I see the problem: you were on a "specialized blur."
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings."

mtbr member
    Those goddam "clets" didn't help either, I'm sure.

mmmm, caffeine!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hass
    A couple of years ago I was riding my bike in front of my house without a seat and post. I decided I would try to stop the bike by putting my a$$ on the rear wheel.

The rear wheel grabbed a hold of my shorts and sucked them into the seatstays along with my a$$ and nuts.

The bike came to a skidding stop!

Nice one Jack Hass !

mmmm, caffeine!
    AHHHHEM, one time i was waiting for my brother to get out of the house and watch my little sister so that me and my little brother could go for a ride.
    So i was on my big brother's bike bunnyhoping over curbs and such, and so i tried to hop over a curb, but the fork & handlebars and everything that goes with it landed off center and i went OTB.
    And of course my neighbour was in his yard and said "are you ok?" so i said i'm fine, then went to the house and had a very bloody elbow.

P.S

I had no protection.

Have Cake and beat it 2
    Perth Western Australia.
    Early Ninties I am riding down a suburban street on my MTB doing s turns turning the handlebars backwards and forwards just meandering along.
    What Do I do, turn the handlebars to far, lock the frontwheel sideways and do a most impressive superman. (no helmet, not compulsery in those days), drag my bleeding body 50m to a fast food joint and sit in the drive in section until i recover enough to ride home. Scared the hell out of the serving girl. nice cuts on hands and head and bloody face, luckly nothing brocken.
    Once borrowed my sis's bike. go screaming down the road as fast as usual and have to hit the brakes. Testes and headset made a very impressive collision and it took me nearly five minutes to be able to breath normal again, another couple of days to be able to walk normal.
    My girlfried has found me lying hanging off a short pedestrian bridge having gone sideways at speed on a two foot high wooden bridge after rain, went over sideways slammed helmet into pole (cracked in two places) then went to slide off, had to jam bike to avoid going off completely, had a killer headache and a $40 hanger for rear DR replacement where I bend the f**k out of it going over. She thought it fabulously funny.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast