Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    Loser

Not mine but...

A few weeks ago we were riding and there was a nice log pile so you could clear a large, high log (yeah, yeah, yeah - sanitization, but without this log pile Hans himself couldn't clear this log). On the back side there were a few logs out of place. We stop and put them back in. The last one needed a little nudging and my buddy gives it a swift kick expecting it to fall into place. Well the kick was a little too swift and the log didn't move. He broke his toe. It turned a nice deep purple uck. He finished the ride though...

John
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

'member me?
    Aug 2005
    But not as bad as the time I knocked my self unconcious picking up a cat. First thing in the morning one of my hungry cats is bugging me and I bend over to pick it up as I'm walking out of my bedroom. I slammed my head into the doorframe and came too on the floor. Cat was staring a me a foot away. Probably wondering if I was dead and could it eat me.
    Now THAT is funny! I can just see the cat sitting there licking its chops...
    Save the environment, plant a Bush back in Texas.

mtbr member
    After a race one of the local Junior Experts was riding a no handed wheelie, while drinking a coke. When he went to set the front wheel down (still no handed, drinking a coke), the front wheel turned 90 degrees. It had the expected result in front of at least 100 howling racers.

I have one....

This is dumber than yours Trek Fan. When I got my first FS some 4 years ago I was so excited I took it out for its maiden voyage. Rode to the local trails, rode to work to show a fellow biking colleague than back to the trails. Was so interested in getting everything nice and dialed. Was out for 5 - 6 hours doing a bunch of short loops bak to back. Rolled off a couple small boulders and hit a few jumps I had never hit on my hard tail. Life was good. By now I am getting a bit hungry so I think I will ride to the local sandwich shop. So I go and grab a bite to eat and sit outside looking at my bike all happy.

When I was all done and getting ready to head home I clipped in with my left foot and rolled off as I brought my right leg over the bike. Before my foot was down on the other pedal I clipped the handlebars into a shopping cart that had came loose off the end of the big train (like they cart boys push into the store) and I was instantly done on the ground. I had been coasting at about 3 mph. Rolled over my hand with my whole body weight and broke both bones in my arm just above the wrist.

The cart had come loose because some young kid had slammed another into the back of the line. I wasnt mad at him, but it sucked that his mother did not even stop to check if I was okay or offer me a ride. I ended up waling a mile to the local ER. My arm was twisted into a "Z" shape as my hand was pulled back by the tendons. If I could have held out both arms straight the left one would have been a good 5 inches shorter than the right...

After the 6 hour operation to repair my arm I sat and looked at the bike in my living room for three months before I could ride. I spent some nine weeks with four pins and a bunch of screws connected to a 8 in steel rod that held my arm immobile.
    Last edited by CDtofer; 09-29-2005 at 06:08 AM.

SSasquatch

showing off in front of son

I was showing off for my 5 year old doing wheelies in a parking lot. I was clipped in and pulled up too hard and couldn't clip out. Landed right on my tail bone and fractured coccyx.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TrekFan
    oh well, guess there's nothing to do but laugh at it. anyone else have any stupid bike related (kind of) injuries to help cheer me up?
    First ride on a new hardtail, about 4 years ago. Forgot to tighten up my spd pedals. Go to bunny hop a little 10 inch log, came right out of the pedals, OTB. Broken wrist, actually the scaphoid bone. Horrible bone to break, takes forever to heal. I was out 3 months while my shiny new bike sat in the corner.

mtbr member

How about

Real early in the morning airing up the tires and not thinking I reached from the rotor side of the wheel and pulled the hose of the pump off the presta valve, when it broke loose I backhanded the rotor and cut the $hit out of the back of my hand bad enough for stitches but I didn't want to tell the story to the doc so I just butterflied it. Not even on the bike and I needed stitches

taste death, live life.

Crash in front yard

A couple of years ago, I had just put the finishing touches on the bike for the upcoming season. I figured I would take it out for a spin in the yard with my flip-flops. I was pedaling up a hill and just ran out of steam for the gear I was pushing. I fell over and shin-dropped the only rock in the yard. I just about passed out after seeing the inside of my leg. Off to the ER, they stitched me up, but three days later got a blood infection (my calf swelled to twice the size as the other). Then ER trip #2. It was a great way to start the season. Ima moron!

MTBR East

broken thumb

I also did the broken hand thing....in my local park which is really, really tame by most standards. Was coming down a small hill, took a right turn way too fast and the bike lost traction on a patch of sand/tiny gravel/dirt mix. After getting up and doing the obligatory "are my legs/arms/head broken" and checking the bike, I realized my left thumb wasn't feeling to great. Removed my gloves and thought it was just dislocated, so I proceeded to try and jam it back in. ( I'm not a doctor but have stayed at Holiday Inn's before ). Anyways, after 5 minutes of that, realized I needed some actual medical help. After the ER visit found out the thumb was dislocated! - but broken nicely too.

I now have a gorgeous piece of titanium in my thumb. All from my local "easy" park....

Flynn

I throw poo

Junk to Stem w/ Faceplant

My boy Mackey, and I had just ridden through this creek, on the way back he hit a submerged log. He said later that the base turned purple, and there may have been some blood.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dang it, now I'm running a coolness deficit for sure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Just call me mister wheelie
    4 months ago I was doing wheelie and yes I was in clips ( WHAT AN IDIOT ), and went over backwards.The pisser was my right foot twisted out of my shoe and broke my ankle in 4 places,now after 12 screws,1 plate and 4 1/2 months I am posing as a road rider on
    mountian bike .

Super Fly

... and if we just ...

When I was a little kid riding BMX bikes, I crushed my nuts against the handle bar stem by trying to go in between two 2 footer post. Well one pedal caught the post and launched me forward into the stem. Hurts like hell. Wasnt on my knees though, but when I got home and check my Jewels, I found out that I had a small tare on my Nut sack. Man, after that, I was walking like I been ridding a horse for weeks. Learn my lesson ever since.

Super Fly

... and if we just ...

When I was a little kid riding BMX bikes, I crushed my nuts against the handle bar stem by trying to go in between two 2 footer post. Well one pedal caught the post and launched me forward into the stem. Hurts like hell. Wasnt on my knees though, but when I got home and check my Jewels, I found out that I had a small tare on my Nut sack. Man, after that, I was walking like I been ridding a horse for weeks. Learn my lesson ever since.

Dude...
    I just broke my wrist with the slowest, lamest endo ever... Now I have to try and type with a wrist brace... sucks

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

My lame crash almost broke my neck

I was riding with a group up Minnewanka. Near the top of the climbing on the way in, there was a piece of yellow plastic laying on the trail under a tree. This section of the trail is on scree with a long drop off to the lake on the right. The tree is on the left. The best line up the hill is also on the left. I am looking down at the piece of plastic trying to figure out what it is. Just as my brain completes the calculation that the piece of plastic is from a helmet that probably got snagged on the tree, my heads starts getting twisted around until my neck can't go any further. Then I start to loop out and go over backwards in a twisting fall, headed for the edge and the long drop to the lake. I just managed to hang onto my bike and keep enough of my body on the trail to not go over the edge. The group gathered around with everyone wondering what happend. Once the story came out there was a hearty round of laughs. I finished the ride with quite the headache. Two rounds of aggressive physio got my neck loosened up but it was real sore for a couple of weeks. The helmet has a nice branch sized hole poked into the foam in one of the vents.

pillage! plunder! 4 parts

getting the bike out of the truck....

...by standing on the truck tire and leaning against the side of the truck only to slip on the tire (the parking lot was muddy) and cracked my head on the top of the truck bed, and cut my shin on the exhaust and mananged to drag the bike out on top of me during all of this and put the pedal into my chest hard enough to knock the wind out of me.

The whole thing happened with a club standing off to the side looking at me like they should check out the sky to see if a rock was going to fall on me to.
    don't question why you ride but rather why you don't ride more.

mtbr member

head in backwards hooded sweatshirt

Commuting, i put on a hooded sweatshirt while riding...only i put in on backwards...blinded with my face in the hood...crashed immediately in front of a bunch of teenagers. they laughed their asses off. probably deserve a darwin award for that.

mtbr member
    How many of us have unclipped right and leaned left? Or versa visa? I did it a few years ago and got a nice little chainring scratch on my right calf. It got infected and I ended up with blood poisoning. Antibiotics for 4 weeks and yoguart after that. Felt like crap for almost two months.

All because I aint smart enough to unclip the right foot.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

mtbr member

in the yard

I was at my parents house using flat pedals trying to learn how to bunny hop correctly. My dad had watched me for a bit before heading out to his workshop. About a 1/2 hour goes by and I take the flats off and put on the clipless and keep practicing. He walks out of his workshop heading back to the house and walks up in front of me so I trackstand. He then starts to go around me and pushes me over thinking I was still using the flats. I went over so fast I didn't have time to clip out. Now I blame all of my shoulder problems on him.

mtbr member
    OK, so I read this thread early this morning, before sunrise and before my usual morning trail ride... I thought, boy, these are some pretty "funny" crashes! Glad it's not me. I can learn from this...

So, it rained here over the last couple of days and I did a road ride yesterday as I waited for the trails to dry out. Today I hopped on the MTB and decided to take a chance on the trails.

My endo this morning wouldn't have been so ironic had I not just spent 10 minutes reading your posts. Needless to say, I was riding the flats on a swell singletrack, listening to the Talking Heads (More Songs About Buildings and Food) on my pod and, generally having a terrific time when I caught the ledge and jackknifed back onto the trail at about 10MPH. Totally caught me off guard. I almost planted my face and, fortunately, the ground was really soft but I caught my shoulder and it felt lilke I about dislocated it for a minute while I hollered in pain. I half taco'd my front wheel and had to stand on it to straighten it out enough to ride to the trailhead. And, wouldn't you know, I never see anyone on the trail as early as I ride and, low and behold, here comes a fellow biker willing to help me out. Pretty embarrassing to say the least. And, my iPod (fortunately my Shuffle) ate the fall and I'll have to dig out the mud with a toothbrush.

Worst part is, my wife has complained lately about the number of repairs I've had at the LBS. This learning curve is a *****.

Well, I got to go if I'm going to ride again in the next couple of days. Hope the LBS can build me a new wheel soon!

Weird huh?
    US Nationals in 89.

Warm-up ride prior to the road race. Going maybe 3mph, and look down (road bike) and decide I should thwack my front quick-release to make sure it's tight.

I missed, and my hand went between the fork and the spokes. Bike came to a complete stop, I went over the bars, smashed my helmet, and got a nice compound to the left collarbone. I went home to Arizona.

Still have the nice scar.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    1) Had just taken up riding again after a few years break. Was my first disc brake, and it's a pretty decent one to start on (Saint, 8 in rotor). Anyway, there's a bit of a squeal/scraping noise coming from the brakes but I can't tell if it's front or back. I decide to do a little wheelie and lock the front wheel in the air to see if the noise stops, unfortunately I landed with the wheel still locked up and learnt the power of my new brakes. I've never flipped so quickly. Thankfully the injury was reasonably minor, so I guess it doesn't fit too well into this thread.

2) I got a concussion the other day doing a 3 foot drop. Took a left hand fork on the basic trail riding back to the road, unfortunately the left hand fork had a 3 foot drop that was pretty well hidden, nosedived and ate it, came round with the bike on top of me a couple of seconds later. Thank god for the full face, which was 3 weeks old. Without that I would have lost a fair few teeth and maybe re-broken my jaw on the rock I landed on.

OldTeen
    Jun 2004
    Couple days ago I'm taking an easy road ride around the block with my wife. I ride around a guy walking his 2 dogs. I look back at the dogs instead of looking at the curb. Barely more than walking speed when I crashed. The end of my MTB's flat bar hit my little finger straight on- crushing it into the concrete. Broke & split open my finger like a ball peen hammer. Spent over an hour in the OR with a good hand surgeon cleaning out smashed tissue & fixing tendon. May need more surgery later. Still cannot believe I got that much pain & damage from a dumb slow crash

mtbr member
    well, welcome to the club anyway. the worst part about this damn tragedy is that i am DYING to ride right about now...

stitches from ditches
    Sep 2006
    I was doing my normal ride-around at Umikaze Park when I noticed that everybody else was wearing shin pads but me. So ride over to the car and put on my shin/knee pads. Well five minutes later I decide to take them back off because they were effecting my pedaling. No soon as I take them off I hit the track again and start flying off of jumps. Unfortunately I botched the last jump and wound up on the ground with a giant on top of me and yes some serious scaring on my shins. This was about three hours and a couple Tylenol ago and I can't help but to look back and think of how stupid I was.
    The best part was that this all took place in front of a medium sized crowd riders (kids, teens, and parents) so what little pride I had was promptly squashed as I limped back to my car.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast