Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Im gonna go with my last crash where I wasnt aware my front axle was bent and not locked into the fork properly. I was taking some switch backs rather slow and kinda dazing off when suddenly my bike got all squirrely underneath me causing a super slow-mo crash leaving me with 3 cracked/bruised ribs, a bruised knee, a dented and chipped helmet among other aches and pains . Good times.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Got my nail shot off the big toe by a flying stone triggered by the front wheel wearing 5.10 impacts. First biking injury without crashing...

mtbr member
    for me it's a toss up between the junk bike toss (my club picnic a few years ago, I heaved the iron bike and the bars swung around and bash me in the face with everyone watch, yeah) or second, when my cleat unclipped (after a 1hr time-trial training ride on some somewhat technical trails, I was riding home on the flat, smooth, straight, clear street and attempted a final interval when the SPD let loose on the pull stroke sending my leg mass up, the bike just went away and I dog piled into the pavement at a dead stop. everything hurt but nobody saw it so there's that.)
    the upper echelon of mediocrity

mtbr member
    After a long weekend of riding and kayaking in the Ozarks in which I amazing didn't get hurt, I slammed my finger in the hatch of my vehicle loading up to leave. Bled like a stuck pig & got to visit the ER in Mountain View, Arkansas. Shots & stitches topped the weekend off.

sent from my Galaxy Note 3

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Took my daughters and their boyfriends out for a bike ride 2 years ago; my house is about 5 miles from the trailhead. Rode all evening, then home at dusk. About a mile from home we decided to stop at a convenience store for a treat; crossing the street I tried to bunny hop the curb, then "kiss" the flower bunker with the front tire.

I was a little too tired, misjudged, skated the sidewalk with the back tire, and unable to correct I ended up laying in some thorny bushes in the planter...in full view of my guests and traffic. Local cop was gassing his car up and ran over, first to render aid, then proceeded to laugh himself silly while he took an "accident investigation pic" with his phone.

It hasn't ended up posted on my wall...yet. But I imagine it will...

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I was 14 oro so, and my and a few friends were out with our BMX's. Well, we happend to see a cute group of girls from our school, and decided to impress them.
    There was a small field that led to a parking lot to a strip mall that had a well worn trail in it. I decided that I was going to fly down this trail, up to the lip of the parking lot and jump over the parking block/curb that was there. I remember going as fast as I could, hitting the lip of the asphalt parking lot, and then going OTB, landing on my back and watching my handlebars come and land across my chest.
    The girls left, my friends came up laughing to see if I was okay, and I felt like a huge idiot.

ahh... what doesn't kill you, haunts you through high school... LOL

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Climbing up very steep fire road trail, in the granny gear, chain drops, since I'm already going at extremely slow speeds I start to tip over instantly as my feet starting flying around the pedals since there is suddenly no resistance. I can't unclip fast enough. I fall to the side like a rider new to clipless and what happens on my way down? The droper post lever on my handlebar digs into my chest and drags across my nipple. Massive bruising looked like I got whipped by someone holding an giant squid tentacle. It was embarassing as hell.

mtbr member
    Yeah man, going down my favorite trail, I was crossing the same roots that I have crossed countless many times. No biggee; P This time the bars twisted out of my hands and landed on my right side. it hurt so bad I could not get back on the bike, I finally rode it back and somehow loaded that heavy ass bike into the back of the car. I was out for 3 months from what I later found out to be 2 fractured ribs. That was it for the season, again; ) My sister gets so sick of hearing about my bike injuries; )

There is more but that is for later.

mtbr member
    May 2014

Bonking ... not feelin' well Pretty Lame Fall

I was riding up a steep hill and i decided to get off, i put my foot down and the hillside crumbled away under me. I fell forwards face planted into the ground and waked my elbow very hard on my frame. I got a very big purple bruise but luckily no major injuries.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Was riding around in the parking lot waiting on my buddies to get their helmets on, etc...
    Talking smack and laughing it up with them...didn't notice the grate in the middle of the lot that my front tire perfectly slipped into between the slits...I was still talking as I went over...basically I stayed in the same position on the bike as it rotated over and slammed me into the pavement. It happened so fast I never reacted...my hands were still on the handlebars and I was still clipped in. I still have the scar on the top of my hand and elbow where I busted them. Nothing needed stitches though and nothing else injured. Those guys still bring it up sometimes. Happened 15 years ago.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Bunny hopped an old car lift in a garage.. broke my elbow.

mtbr member
    Back in my roadie days, I was working on my bike in the garage and decided to take it for a quick spin down the street to check on some gear shifting. I rode up the street, made a u-turn and back to my driveway. Instead of going up the driveway, where my car was partially blocking it, I decided to just get up on the curb. I lifted my front wheel up and I just see my wheel roll off. I forgot to lock my quick release back up. I put my hand down and my arm and since I was clipped in, I flipped over, but my hand stayed in place as it was caught in the handlebar. I ended up breaking my wrist and was in a cast for 3 months.

Rock n' Roller
    Signed up for my first dh race. I had a xc race the previous day (won my age division!), woke up tired and just not "in it." Took the lift up for a practice run - that first run didn't go very well. I was actually thinking about dropping out. The trail was intense and I wasn't riding at my best. The trail was sketchy, and one section in particular ( a steep, loose rock garden) was a bit beyond my skill level. On my best of best days, maybe. But this wasn't one of those days.

My pride, however, said: Just one more practice run. You'll get in the right mind set.

Never listen to pride!!

Standing a top the start ramp, I got the signal to go and I took my hands off the brakes and started down. Just then, someone behind me yelled "wait!" (not sure if it was to me or someone else) I instinctively turned my head and took my eyes off the ramp for just a mili-second. That's all it took. I rode right off the %&% start ramp and fell about 8 feet onto my feet. I landed on a rock and my left ankle exploded. It swelled up the size of a grapefruit in seconds...

My talas is in about 4 pieces and my tib/fib separated from my ankle. Thank god it wasn't worse. The surgeon said that normally when you apply enough force to shatter your talas like that, the rest of your leg shatters as well. As of now, 5-7 screws and 8 weeks non-weight bearing. We'll see how surgery goes tomorrow.

It simply proves a point - fate has a sense of humor. I didn't crash on that gnarly rock garden or steep off-camber turn through the trees. No. I shattered my ankle and my season falling off the start ramp of my final practice run...Kinda like when I blew my ACL on the cat track after I hucked that cliff.

(really fate? really? Can I ever injure myself doing something snazzy? )

Oh well, here's to 8 weeks of ice cream, beer, and dreaming about some sassy fall riding

human dehumidifier
    I was crossing a log on a riverside trail when my leg cramped with my weight on that pedal. I heard my hamstring pop bad, and tumbled over the bank to the river. Most importantly I caught my bike as it passed me so it didn't get wet.

When I crashed I hadn't been on the bike 2 minutes.

I could get myself back up to the trail, but I couldn't do me and the bike both so I had to have help recovering my bike. I had to call for someone to come get me because I couldn't risk driving and crashing due to a cramp. The cramps kept coming for hours, both legs, back, under my ribs.

A week later my hamstring is plum crazy purple, knee to butt, side to side. I've got a nice hot pain that flares up if I put pressure on it in a certain way. I'm learning new ways to use my feet instead of my hands, because I can't bend over, especially to my injured side.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Hungry Chainring

I had a hardtail I converted to a road bike that I was getting ready to use for a charity ride. At the time I didn't have a bike stand so I was oiling the chain with it leaning against my garbage can. I didn't have my pedals on it yet so stupidly I was using my finger to spin the crank arm.

Apparently I didn't lean the bike onto the garbage can enough because it fell onto me and pushed my finger between the chain and the ring. Instinctively I yanked back and it pulled off the nail. The chainring tooth punctured through my nail and didn't stop until it hit bone.

Thankfully adrenaline had me just angry with myself rather than wimpering on the ground like I would be otherwise. I ended up just cleaning and bandaging it. The next day I went to work and after 6 hours of me constantly changing bandages because it had yet to stop bleeding my boss made me goto the hospital where it was cauterized and worked on. Thankfully the nailbed was still intact so the nail grew back.

I ended up riding 31 miles with my index finger bandaged and pointing up in the air.

Professional Noob
    Nothing like the old turn-too-fast-on-gravel. You keep going around the turn but your bike goes forward on its side. Done that a few times.

My most recent moron crash: had to inflate a tubeless wheel a good deal more than necessary to keep the bead seated. Riding downhill and the big bouncy tire ricocheted off a tiny rock, off a root, and the whole bike just kind of flew out from under me.
    2005 Trek 4300 "Frankenbike"

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Went mountain biking for my first time today.

Fell three times on my side / back while pushing bike up steep hills or down super steep ones. It was funny and I laughed at myself.

Finally there was a spot that wasn't too steep to go down, so I thought I'd give it a try - was tired of pushing the bike up the steep trail.

I had my brakes on as much as I could and I had my right pedal in the 6 o'clock position. Pedal hit rock, handlebars went all the way to the left and I did a superman over the handlebars. Landed on chin, hand, and elbow.

Scariest part was the impact to my chin, because I could feel my spine and getting the wind knocked out of me.

I was stupid and was a little dehydrated too..

Not sure if mountain biking is for me or if I chose a trail with too steep a grade with too many rocks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad85 View Post
    Went mountain biking for my first time today.

Fell three times on my side / back while pushing bike up steep hills or down super steep ones. It was funny and I laughed at myself.

Finally there was a spot that wasn't too steep to go down, so I thought I'd give it a try - was tired of pushing the bike up the steep trail.

I had my brakes on as much as I could and I had my right pedal in the 6 o'clock position. Pedal hit rock, handlebars went all the way to the left and I did a superman over the handlebars. Landed on chin, hand, and elbow.

Scariest part was the impact to my chin, because I could feel my spine and getting the wind knocked out of me.

I was stupid and was a little dehydrated too..

Not sure if mountain biking is for me or if I chose a trail with too steep a grade with too many rocks.
    Do not give up. It will get better. Try much milder terrain, and slowly work your way up. You got this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    i have been riding on and off for forever and still have stupid crap happen to me. Slid out on a group ride landed nice and soft pedal a few feet realize i'm gushing blood from my knee...needed stitches...favorite is crashing and dislocating my big tow. I was wearing my 5.10 riding shoes both times...thats right more then once...who does crap like that. It will get better and if not you'll at least learn to tuck roll and bounce better
    If you have sex in a car with airbags....does that count as safe sex???

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    When I was a kid I used to race road and train a lot, keeping my head down at times to reduce drag. I once ran into a parked car and flew over the car landing on a Grass island by not paying attention. Idiot!

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18