Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I had just replaced my forks, and the new ones were so much smoother than the worn out older ones that I didn't realize my front tire was slowly going flat. Took a hard corner, the tire rolled off the rim and tied itself in a knot. I didn't have time for the "OH" in "OH, CRAP!" before I was staring up at the clouds from the middle of the street, cars honking at me, and everything hurt. I had my BRAND NEW cell phone in my pocket, and I fell over the top tube and folded the thing in half. Samsung Galaxy SII, two days old, three weeks after they were released.

I mention the phone for 2 reasons. First, that sucked, but second because it filled my pocket with glass shards from the cracked screen. Besides the bruises and wounded pride, when I reached into my pocket to get the phone, I got cuts full of glass chips all over my fingers. Nice.

mtbr member
    Man this past month I've had two and feel like a putz. On a night road ride about 3 weeks ago, approaching a stop, I could not unclip. Must have been me having some kind of brain fart, been on Speedplay since the mid 90s but for the life of me I could not get out of the darn pedal. Fell over at the light like a newbe dork. Jammed my elbow into my ribs. 3 weeks later I can finally take deep breaths and can sneeze without too much pain, so I took out the MTB for my first ride since the fall, last friday. Threw my leg over the bike, and lost my balance. My right foot, with all my weight, tilted over to the right, spraining my ankle. I got religion because I saw Peter Paul and Mary right there complete with guitars. Decided to ride it out, cuz it can't be that bad and it's been three weeks since I last rode. Finished the ride ok, and the ankle felt ok. But by that evening, it was swollen, and still is, on the right side of the foot, where that bump is, it is like twice as big as the left foot. I know I should let it rest some, but I am going to commute to work Tuesday on it so I've been icing it.

Man I feel like a putz +2.
    Tzvia.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    After looking through this all I can say is ouch!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

broken wrist

I had my new Litespeed in the trainer to check my fit set-up and to install the computer. I did not have it tight enough. When I attempted to get on the saddle, the rear wheel popped out, I fell, the bike on top of me. Three days later my wrist was still hurting, broken wrist falling off the trainer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I was looking for my friends where they parked their bikes at an open air food market but when I put my foot down when I stopped, I didn't notice there was a big empty flower pot buried on the ground and landed my foot in it. I consequently dropped to the ground like a moose shot with a rifle right in front of 6 tables of diners. And as I fought with the decision to stand up in embarrassment or feign serious injury, I can hear my friends calling out my name. Great, now all the diners knew the name of the klutz on the bike.

Injury: My pride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I didn't get through 3 stories on this thread and was laughing so hard I was crying. This stuff is pure comedic gold. It's only fair that I share one of my lamest.

Just two weeks ago, my riding buds and I reach the top of steep climb, and stop at the top to shoot the breeze. I'm in the middle of the group, with one foot on the ground and the other leg draped over the top tube. My buddy to my right and slightly behind me says something, and as I turn to respond, I give a little hop/shuffle with the foot on the ground. Unfortunately, I snagged my heel on a rock and lost my balance. When I fell over backwards, I landed on a granite spike directly on my tailbone. I immediately assumed the fetal position, moaning and writhing in agony. It's been two weeks, and I'm still in significant pain with the wrong move or seating position. I thought only I could injure myself riding, but not RIDING. Guess not!
    Without heroes, we are all plain people, and don't know how far we can go. Bernard Malamud

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    two days ago I was riding with my brother and went off the trail to avoid someone coming the other way. There was a low tree limb that I thought I could make it under and it turns out I couldnt and smacked the crap out of my head. Cracked the plastic on the outside of my helment

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by matt60 View Post
    two days ago I was riding with my brother and went off the trail to avoid someone coming the other way. There was a low tree limb that I thought I could make it under and it turns out I couldnt and smacked the crap out of my head. Cracked the plastic on the outside of my helment
    have done something like that a few times only instead of my head it was the back pack i forgot i was wearing that got snagged
    If you have sex in a car with airbags....does that count as safe sex???

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I wish there was a facebook style "like" button for these........

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Hurt right behind my home

I had been riding some single track and fire roads behind my house. I had been riding for about 2 hours and was on my home. I was coming down a dirt packed road 300 yrds behind our house (we live in a new development that abuts right up to several nice bike trails and fire roads and power line trails) at about 25 mph when before I knew it I was down on my left side still clipped into my Gary fisher 29er Cobia and was riding across my right wrist and thumb.

Came to a halt and couldn't feel my right hand from the elbow down and can't move my fingers. Crap. After 2 hours I could move my fingers and perform all movements of the wrist except rotation. Rotation caused extreme shooting pain.

Drove my standard with a busted right hand to the hospital. Got an X-ray and they saw no visible fractures. Possible ligament tear, bruised bones, and horrible sprain. Walked out with a splint from my hand to elbow and a sling.

I follow up with the orthopedist tomorrow morning to see if there is any ligament damage. I can perform rotation but cannot do it without a little pain and cannot put any pressure or weight onmy wrist.

Doh!
    [SIZE="5"]It's easy to make a buck, it's much harder to make a difference."[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    jkl

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    i was getting off my bike at my car which was parked in mud, i slipped and fell and the chain ring sliced open my leg, did not notice till i got into my car it happened so quickly that my English 202 notes came in handy to control the bleeding this resulted in 8 stitches and no riding for 3 weeks worst 3 weeks of my life

govt kontrakt projkt mgr

..dr nickels...update ?

What is the word ?

I get my wrist rechecked tomorrow. I cannot bend it down much (extension or flexion ? always confuse them). 4 weeks since busted wrist. Stayed in a removable splint entire time. Took that sucka off for good on my own over the weekend and have been working on ROM. Been riding the hell outta the trainer.

mtbr member
    Well, this did say the "Lamest" injury...

Did this one 2 or 3 days ago when planting my foot on a switchback... mesquite root tore thru my shoe and got me... doesn't look like much, but stings like a biatch...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Well, I take my dog for a run on my bike most afternoons when I get home from work. We generally go about a mile up the main road in the neighborhood and then weave our way back through the alleys so I can let him off of the leash to sniff to his heart's content. Normally I take my beach cruiser, but since I have this new fancy schmancy MTB I've been taking it and farting around in the alleys working on basic skills. So lately I've been trying to learn how to bunny hop and manual this 29er. No easy task if you ask me! So last Friday I'm bunny hopping around like a 10 yr old with a new BMX bike and i sprained my dang wrist! No bad, but enough to be annoying for the last week. I did it because I carry his leash gathered up in one hand while he's running around. Since I didn't have a good positive grip on the bar, the heel of my dropped when I hit and I torqued the crap out of my wrist! Stoopid!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Don't lie your razor slipped while trying to trim those hairy beast to cut down on wind drag

Quote Originally Posted by TexasDesertRat View Post
    Well, this did say the "Lamest" injury...

Did this one 2 or 3 days ago when planting my foot on a switchback... mesquite root tore thru my shoe and got me... doesn't look like much, but stings like a biatch...

If you have sex in a car with airbags....does that count as safe sex???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cerpindicular View Post
    Don't lie your razor slipped while trying to trim those hairy beast to cut down on wind drag
    You werednt supposed to tell anyone... that was confidential...

reading comprehension wat
    Wore flip-flops to just putt around the trails close to my house, decided to push my limits, and brushed a rock with my foot, trying to pedal to maintain the speed I was carrying into a short steep uphill. It surprisingly OOZED A TON OF BLOOD OUT. To add insult to injury, wearing flip flops again on a quick morning ride, but on the road this time, taking a turn heading into the neighborhood block from the main road, my rear tire slipped out because of someone's sprinkler overflow, I stuck one foot out and my other stayed with the bike, with me ending up looking as if I were doing a split, and the same exact spot gets damaged! Sad thing is that this kind of injury took me out of riding and doing many activities for a while, in order to let it heal...

I like to jump to conclusions, oversimplify, gossip, and participate in popularity polls.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I was on my single speed and getting my butt handed to me. I got to a climb and I stood and was grinding away. I got too close to a stump and one of the roots stabbed into my shoe. Lots of pain later I'm on the side of the trail trying to get it together. I got my shoe off and saw my little pinkie toe was swelling.

I broke my little toe and I had 9 miles of single track to go on a single speed that I was not in shape to be on. It took a year to stop hurting. I give that stump the finger every time I pass it while getting as far from it as I can. Lame.
    Last edited by AaronK; 04-05-2013 at 06:21 PM.

San Miguel Beer Drinker
    Apr 2009
    I was trying to overtake someone. went to the side of the singletrack (grass) then suddenly the chain came off and I fell on my right side. in front of the resting area where there are around a dozen bikers. yay.

sprained ankle, scratches on my knee and arm. just because i was too lazy to check the chain tension. lesson learned.

Nuts
    I went over the bars on a spinner bike at the local YMCA and broke my ankle...
    True story!!
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Thanks everybody! My girlfriend sprained her ankle falling off of an a-frame bridge this past Sunday. Reading your various accounts of ignominious injury has made her feel better about hers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny91i View Post
    Most embarrassing situation i've been on...I never told ANYbody of it but i guess its ok now...

I was touring with a friend, we were cycling at a very low speed (15km/sec max) but i had 3 heavy panniers on the back of my mountain bike. It was the first time i was having these things with me so i wasn't feeling comfortable with the handling.
    While chatting i had my hands on the bar ends and i was really close to him, so he clings a bit to the left just enough to get my front tire hit by his rear... You can imagine the rest...
    I'm sure it was a pretty funny scene, we were all alone in the middle of small road and yet we managed to kiss the ground..
    As soon as i fell i stood there for 4-5 seconds to make a quick check i was ok and then as soon as i realized what we just managed to do i stood up reeeeeeeally quick, i took the bike off the ground and got out of the road.
    The good thing was that the bicycle fell over the left side so the derailleur was intact and we managed to continue with no problems.. Excluding some scratches and my cellphone which i had on the bike at the moment so it just flew over me and slammed on the ground pretty hard... And it had yet to fell one more time and open into pieces once again about 40km later... Most sturdy phone i ever owned (htc touch pro 2).

And some days before this, the day i took the bike back from maintenance i managed to hit a pavement for a split second and did an endo on the ground, luckily without any witness again and of course no casualties either.
    Needless to say i took it back for repair cause it slammed pretty hard on the derailleur side..

Ok i said it, i'm clean now XD
    damn, 15 km per second! it would have been much worse than that

my lamest bike injury,
    i was preparing for my first trail ride, i check my front wheel by spinning it and my left middle finger snagged into a blunt spoke and bleed a bit badly. imagine if it was the rotor, my hand could be easily cut off

the next day i was on my first trail ride. i try to impress my older mates by trying to do a skid.. but i bank too much that i fell to the left and my handlebar was slamming on my left hand. i didn't have it checked up to the doctor but it was so hard that i cant move my finger to brake and my wrist is a bit swollen. thankfully they didn't saw me falling then i continue the rest of the trail without even pressing rear brake and without everyone noticing

when i got home, i got my wrist massaged with a HARDCORE masseur and it didn't help
    the pain keeps coming for about two months until fully recovered

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Lamest injury so far has just been racking myself while getting my bike out of my car. That's always a good way to start the ride.

Best story would be my first race though. I was a noob and definitely not that fast so I was constantly looking out for racers behind me so I could get off the trail and let them by (it was a 6 hour endurance race, just being polite). I thought I heard a rider behind me but an time I looked I didn't see anyone so I just kept pushing. I finally hear something that sounds really close, I turn around to check, see nothing and then turn back around only to be facing directly into a tree. I had just enough time to shout an explicative before ramming into it and flipping over the bars and rolling onto the ground. As I sat there cross-legged, cursing about how I would never race again and all other kinds of things, the guy who I had been hearing rolls past and asks if I'm alright. Fortunately I was fine, just a little beat up and amazingly my front tire was not a taco. I plan on doing the race again this coming October.

mtbr member
    Okay - sitting at my desk....bam slipped disk. Off the bike for 2 months!!! Caused by riding a lot and having tight hamstrings and weak. Oh we'll - I have lost 8 lbs - mostly of muscle atrophy on my left leg.
    My bike is heavier than yours - it does not have Carbon or Titanium parts - I love it!

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast