what the quan?!

Lame broken hand

For some reason my right hand decided to be a wuss and break on me during a standard over the bars crash. 3 metacarpals went crunch... Glad it was not worse. Still a major let down. Bleh.

Only on week 3... got 9 more to go.

mtbr member
    I lucked out and only broke the 5th metacarpal and its on my non dominant hand. On the downside I also landed on my face and broke it in 6 places. Just got four shiny new plates installed yesterday.

looks like your on about week 5 by now. Hows it feeling?
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    if those are the bones that go from your wrist to each finger i broke all 4 at on point in a car accident sucks, i know how you fell but i also snapped my femur in half in the same accident, it can always be worse. hope you heal well and remember PT is extremely important
    If you can't fix it with duct tape, you aren't using enough.

Utahmountainbiking.com

ForkUnion.com

what the quan?!
    ooouch man- very very sorry to hear about the face. best of healing vibes to ya. I somehow got extremely lucky and missed the face as I landed on the unforgiving rock garden. Makes me rethink about getting a full face in the future for certain trails though.

So far things are coming along... doing quite a few range of motion movements at home with weekly PT dr visits. Still can't fully straighten out my fingers (fractured 2nd/3rd/4th metas) but getting close to it. Also, I am at about 50% at bending my wrist back (think dirtbike throttle movement).

It's my non-dom hand too; however, it is my mouse hand and I use photoshop all day at work... things take 2-3 times longer to get done using my left!! Can get quite frustrating.

Pain level has dropped significantly. Weened off the oxy's last week, now only taking tramadols!

Should be another week or so, and then the splint can come off.

To keep from going bike-stir crazy, i've taken up trail jogging. It's helped immensely!

mtbr member
    My pain isn't bad. The nerve that comes out of the cheek bone was so traumatized I have no feeling on the left side of my face. Feeling might return but if it does it will take a long time.

Kimbroughhg, how was that femur? I've heard that is pretty brutal. Plus you can sever your femoral artery and bleed out.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    it took a couple months to heal and another 2 of pt to get back fully but i was 12 when it happened so it healed quickly, they had to put two rods in my leg to hold the bone together.
    If you can't fix it with duct tape, you aren't using enough.

Utahmountainbiking.com

ForkUnion.com

what the quan?!
    Just passed 10 weeks over the weekend and went for my first ride since the breakage...
    Doc said it would be ok, but to take it easy till at least 12 weeks. Aside from that, I am all done with PT and have been working on grip strength like a mofo- still quite weak.

Decided to ride my rigid ss and take it easy (oxymoron?!). Started out on the road- felt ok. Hit the dirt road next for about 12 miles; up and back down. The up was not so bad, but the down was quite brutal. Granted, it's quite a bumpy/rocky road and I was on my rigid... but today I am feelin' it.

Still got a long ways to full recovery... which kinda pisses me off. but at least it is progressing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    good that your back riding. Yeah take it easy. Last thing you wanna do is re break it or break something else and start from scratch all over again....