mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Knee update & atrophy question

Welp, this is what my tibia looks like, 3 months post-surgery (9/20) after a tibial plateau fracture type II:

Doc said bone is healing up nicely. In fact, I'm walking without much discomfort now. Doc said that assuming I'm able to rebuild adequate leg muscle, my goal should be to getting back to MTB nine months post-surgery (March '13), which happens to coincide with the start of MTB season. So, my concentration turns to re-building my quads and hammy, after some serious atrophy.

I'm going to Phys Therapy weekly/bi-weekly and hitting the gym hard in between (stationary bike, leg press, ham curls, some leg extensions - though those are a bit painful at the moment), but I wanted to see if anyone has experience with getting their leg back in shape after atrophy? Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Here is my suggestion (as I am 6 months into recovery and just had to get my hardware replaced). Take it easy! Even if the doctor tells you to go full weight bearing. Take it easy! I had a more gnarly break (tib/fib/plateau) with more screws and two plates. I was biking for the last month and a half (too early) and broke/bent most of the hardware. The bone wasn't strait anymore and this past weekend I had to go back in to have the aforementioned work done. Here is my xray from last week tuesday: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9etbgf4z4r...925_094359.jpg
    and this one is from two months ago : https://www.dropbox.com/s/agzrfnr7i1...925_094412.jpg

Your leg will heal quicker than you think, keep up on your exercises and don't slack and you should be fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Solid advice man, thanks. That is some serious metal work. How'd you do it, if you don't mind me asking?

How is the leg muscle then - have you seen big gains in muscle mass and strength since starting recovery? Also, how is your flexibility in the joint - good extension and flexion?

Best wishes on your continued recovery man.

official eMpTyBRain
    Although not as severe, I messed my left knee/leg up last November in a horrifying biking accident. I was out of the saddle for 2 months and just hobbling around in that 2 months. My leg muscles atrophied and my leg and knee were alarmingly weak and unstable. I did PT for about 5-6 months but I eventually reached a condition to where it didn't feel like it was helping me anymore. I'm still not 100%. There is a considerable amount of scar tissue in my knee but it is getting better/stronger very slowly. Stairs were the biggest hurdle for me. Had trouble going up or down them or just down any grade. No more issues with that.

***Important: As already mentioned, don't push too hard too fast. I tried to work my leg/knee too hard, too fast and it set me back because I had aggravated it again. That was a major bummer. Do your PT steadily but be careful not to overdue it. Pace yourself, don't be in a rush. Your mind thinks your knee/leg can handle it but your knee/leg really cannot just yet. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tedlove View Post
    Solid advice man, thanks. That is some serious metal work. How'd you do it, if you don't mind me asking?

How is the leg muscle then - have you seen big gains in muscle mass and strength since starting recovery? Also, how is your flexibility in the joint - good extension and flexion?

Best wishes on your continued recovery man.
    Leg muscle is weaker (to be expected) but was improving noticeably every day. My range of motion is great with roughly 5 hyper extension. Full flexion.

I broke my leg external fx while getting flipped off a 250cc Honda two stroke (never again)! They had my leg in an external fixator from Monday to Friday then immobilized for 6 weeks no weight bearing for 3 months. Etc. Now I just got out of the hospital Sunday with another six weeks of immobilization ahead of myself.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2