Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!

Knee Pain - Pedal adjustment question

I just bought and started using some new Shimano shoes a few weeks ago. Since then, I haven't been in the saddle a whole lot due to life taking place while I'm busy making plans to ride. Even though my saddle time has been reduced, I just started up with a rather strange pain in my left knee. I would have to ID it as Medial Pain in a very precise spot, just to the right of my knee cap on the left knee. I noticed with the new shoes that I don't have as much float in the SPD pedal even though I'm using the same cleats that were on my previous shoe. I think the rubber of the sole might be making more contact and preventing the float.

My tension adjustments are backed off on the pedals, already. What can I do to decrease the contact at the cleat/sole/pedal interface to increase the amount of float so my foot can find the correct angle?

mtbr member
    Click just the shoe into the pedal and wiggle it around to see where the heel points "naturally". Could be that your cleat isn't square. I adjust my cleats like this to put the heels quite close to the chainstays - fairly straight back - and it's worked wonderfully for me. My choice of pedals (Eggbeaters) have no float at all, although the dead center is loose which leads many to believe they have (including me for several years).

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Copy that. I just did that before I came in to check for responses. I think I'm square but the pressure the tread on the sole puts against the pedal (PD-530's) once the cleats (SH-51) lock in, is so tight that I really have to exert what I would consider significant force to get the shoe to rotate at all. I don't believe it should be sloppy but I expected an easier rotation. The right side isn't as bad.

Seems to me that I have seen thin metal shims (perhaps once included with my new pedals way back when) that would cause the cleat to stand off the sole just a fraction. Am I dreaming this up or could that be a fix in this case?

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Think I solved my dilemma. Thanks to DREMMEL!

I just shaved the tread of the sole down to reduce the amount of contact with the pedal. Much more free rotation. My knee pain settled down after having it compressed all day so I just did 8 miles and 1200' of single track. No recurring pain....yet. Fingers crossed.

[/thread]

mtbr member
    Shims under the cleat or dremeling the tread are indeed good solutions if it interferes with the pedal. Shims are more easily reversible, but you can make creative use of a patch kit should your sole ever wear to the point that it becomes too loose.

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Didn't take much dremel work. I just needed to smooth the high tread on either side of the cleat channel. A quick sharpie outline of the pedal while the shoe was locked in identified the target area and quick smoothing of the tread solved the problem. I've got adequate float, now.