mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Listen! knee pain continues after almost a year

Hello guys,
    some months back i posted here again about a problem i faced with my left knee.
    The old thread is here.
    I went through an MRI scan, the results came out with minor injury of the posterior horn of the lateral meniscus, minimal fluid in the internal joint.
    Doc said i should rest it for a couple of months, so i did... Took 2 and a half months off of anything that could harm the left knee. I didn't cycle, didn't use the stairs, i even had the luxury not to walk so i used it.
    After this time i gradually started cycling again, had some weird pain feeling which i hadn't felt before, it was like a numbness which continues up to now when i put the knee under the slightest pressure. I kept cycling for some weeks, covering more and more distance every night (my muscles were weakened a lot, so i couldn't cope with the old training habits), then some day i had a sharp pain after 30-35kms of riding. Yet again, gave up cycling for 3 more months.
    I came back in action one month ago, i used the bicycle to cycle ~4km to and back from the local football field and run for for 10' adding 4-5 mins every second day. The second week, when i reached 35 mins and stopped i felt sharp pain in my knee so i gave up this time as well... took 4-5 days to get back to normal.
    At first i thought that there could be a chance it was nerve pain but after the last run, every time i bend and straight the leg again i hear and feel a damn click in there at the last 10-15 of the movement...

So that's my story up until now, i've reached my limit on waiting/resting and i have to take measures to get back to cycling eventually...
    Does anyone has/had similar experiences? Any advice?
    Thanks in advance

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Where's the Physical Therapy in this story? It would seem most negligent, after authorizing and diagnosing a problem via MRI, that your doctor would not have you go through some form of PT to properly bring back your muscle after such a long and dormant hiatus.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I got back to him after i stopped for the second time, told him about the numbness and the weird uncomfortable pain feeling but he said that i should be fine and continue with cycling as soon as the pain stops...
    Never visited a physio after that and didn't even cross my mind until the last running symptoms of last month...
    I'll have to visit yet again for some new MRI scans i guess cause the situation might have changed after almost a year since the beginning...
    I tried to keep my muscles pretty tight with a mix of swimming, running & cycling during summer but this also made the problem to resurface..
    I wasn't planning on PT because the amount of pain i get is usually minimal but it tends to resurface every now and then and it makes me worried that it might cause some heaver joint damage :/

OMG!
    I agree w/ my sack (as is usually the case, unless ive had too much to drink). You need PT. A good therapist can work wonders.

Brant-C.
    Get a second opinion/doctor. Just sayin'.
    I just like riding my mountain bike.