mtbr member
    Jun 2009

knee pain - confused and need help

I've got my 2013 Felt Edict Nine 3 that I rode all last season. No problems last year. Except a looseness between my mavic shoes and candy pedals. This winter I put the sleeves on the pedals to eliminate this.

Right knee started to act up when riding.

Changed cleats (they needed it) and realized I had a shim under the cleat from when I had a fitting. This is on the right shoe. Outside of shim was thicker than inside of shim. So I put a 1mm thicker shim on the outside of the pedal than the inside of the pedal.

Now I have a slight twinge in the outside, back part of my knee when I ride. Tonight, a slight twinge in the lower pattellar ligament.

If I take the sleeves off, my shoes will be loose again (don't like that). But I really don't need the knee issue.

What else do I need to check?

Thank you
    If you can be blissfully ignorant to the notion that something is impossible, then you might surprise yourself. -- Andrea138

mtbr member
    Is your seat post height and saddle position the same? A few MM can make a difference. Many have said raising the seat eliminated Patellar region pain.

mtbr member
    What LB said. Make sure you seat post collar is nice and tight, and not allowing small amounts of slippage of your seat post. My friend just commented the other day that he was riding our normal route one morning and heard his knees cracking. He couldn't figure it out, and it turned out his seat post was slipping due to loose collar. Also, make sure your fore-aft is setup right.

mtbr member
    I agree with both above. The proper adjustment is crucial. As for your knee, if most of the pain is coming from behind it, feel around and see if you can feel a cyst developing. The backside of the knee is common for Baker's cysts, however, usuallly they only occur due to an underlying knee issue. Have you ever had problems with your knee in the past? Is any of the pain radiating to the front of the knee? I suggest putting a cold compress on the back side of the knee. Whether there is a cyst or not, try and get down as much inflammation as possible. The cold will also help relieve the pain. Keep us updated.

mtbr member
    "Now I have a slight twinge in the outside, back part of my knee when I ride. Tonight, a slight twinge in the lower pattellar ligament."

I have experienced both. For the pain on the outside I found moving my saddle back eliminated it completely. I am dealing with Patella pain now due to noticing but not adjusting a seat post that had slipped about 1/2-3/4". The ride was just a quick 750' elevation gain evening climb for exercise purposes so I didn't think much of it. 3 days later I am still off the bike. What is interesting is that unlike the pain on the side of the knee I felt absolutely nothing while riding. Simply woke up the next morning hobbling.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Turns out the unevenness of the shims I put on the pedal is what was causing the issue. 1mm difference is too much. Rode the other bike without the pedal shims and did not have troubles. Took a caliper and measured the shims and made sure the other bike got equal shims on the pedals ... no issues.

My knee still has a twinge to it, but I am not worried anymore. Takes time to heal and I can't stop riding.

Really a stupid mistake on my end. Don't know why it did not dawn on me as to the problem. Duh.

Thanks for the feedback!
    If you can be blissfully ignorant to the notion that something is impossible, then you might surprise yourself. -- Andrea138

Dirt Abuser
    I've had issues with my left knee going back about a year and a half. (I'm an 'older' cyclist as well, not in my 20'ies) I road bike as well and I believe my issue was mainly due to long steep climbs on both road and mtb's. I think my issue is patellar tendonitis or some issue related to the patellar tendon. I've been taping my knee before riding and it feels much better. Here is one vid that shows how to wrap your knee and support your patellar tendon:

Jumpers knee tape job... - YouTube

I also place a patellar strap on the knee for added support. (I don't use as much tape as on the vid)

From what I read, the patellar tendon can be pulled up from your lower leg bone (Tibia) due to the pull from your quads. It also can be pulled to the side from your IT band. A good bike fit is the first thing, then supporting the knee/patellar if needed.
    "Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly"

mtbr member
    I've taken three rides on the bike with the seat post adjusted up to the proper position (about an inch) and have no pain. Its amazing the impact relatively small adjustments can have on the body.